+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 40 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T - general election 2019

Oh, PS my chum. I should have said rent, utilities and other basic costs (just to be clear like insurance, tv licence, water rate, council tax - anything Ive missed ?).

You're going down the pedantic route of our chum the Barnsley nitpicker - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Thatcher can be criticised for, perhaps, failing to provide sufficient incentives for new business to come to the UK – she did it with the likes of Nissan, Toyota and Honda, but could probably have done more.
    Thatcher attracted these Japanese firms to the UK on on the promise of free access European Markets. See link to her Lancaster House speech where she launches her 'Europe is Open for Business' campaign in 1988.

Ive heard many say Thatcher wouldn't have mucked about and got us out. Yet, the Single Market is her brainchild; she got us in and championed its cause.

Its pretty clear she changed the landscape of British manufacture. Britains modern manufacturing base is built off free access to EU markets.

https://www.margaretthatcher.org/document

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Your post is based more in your political ideology than in history, WanChai. To liken the current UK to Victorian Britain is a bit silly.

There is no evidence that selling off council houses has had a significant impact upon housing costs.

Home ownership is a relatively new concept to the UK. It started at a very low base (30% or so) in actual - as opposed to imaginary - Victorian Britain and grew slowly through the 20th Century. It passed the 50% mark in the 70s and then continued to expand until 2001, when it peaked at around 70%. It has now fallen back to around 65%.

The price of housing has little, if anything, to do with the sale of council housing stock – it comes down to the failure of the market to deliver sufficient housing for the rapidly growing number of households in the UK and particularly the rise which occurred when the ‘baby boomer’ generation fledged in the 80s and 90s. That same mismatch between supply and demand has made buying property to rent out an attractive investment.

There is no evidence that privatising the utilities caused an increase in price. There is no reason to believe that a state owned monopoly can deliver cheaper energy than a competitive market (albeit the functioning of that that market is hampered, to a degree, by the seeming reluctance of many customers to act rationally and shop for cheaper deals). As it stands, energy prices in the UK are cheaper than in many of our European competitors:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48284802

If people chose to sell of their BT shares then that was their choice. In reality, the public remain significant owners of BT via their pension funds.

Thatcher’s policies didn’t kill off major industries as you assert. Manufacturing in the UK began to fall off in the 1960s. The same thing happened in most Western economies as we became uncompetitive in comparison to emerging economies. The UK may have taken a particular hit as markets in the former Empire in which we had received favourable treatment became far more competitive. Manufacturing remains a significant sector of the UK economy, but it remains at risk of being lost if other countries become a more attractive place to operate as seems to have happened with Dyson.

If you wish to see the UK attract more high quality jobs, you need to make it a place that is attractive to do business. The Labour Party policies that you seemed strangely reluctant to comment upon yesterday do the exact opposite and will discourage companies from choosing to invest here. The announcement of the nationalisation of part of BT on Friday is particularly stupid – stupid to a degree that even I didn’t think Labour would go. Why would companies now choose to invest in the UK when they know that they are at risk of having their investments seized at the whim of John McDonnell?

P.s. If your chum is paying £250 per month on utitilites then he is probably doing something wrong.
    WCM didn't liken the current UK to Victorian Britain but you chose to put that misrepresentation on it
    Animal said this is "2019 not Victorian Britain", which is what WCM was referring to
    Or am I nitpicking?
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 17-11-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    WCM didn't liken the current UK to Victorian Britain but you chose to put that misrepresentation on it
    Animal said this is 2019 "not Victorian Britain", which is what WCM was referring to
    Or am I nitpicking?
    No nitpicking if its in support of me. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    No nitpicking if its in support of me. Lol.
    Well at least you're honest.......................................somet imes

WCM, I often like your approach but to be fair to Kerr your statement about agreeing totally on 2019 Victorian Britain might reasonably be interpreted as Kerr did. To be honest I'm not quite sure what animal meant to convey by it and I don't think there can be any meaningful comparison then and now. That said Kerr can be a nitpicker I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    WCM, I often like your approach but to be fair to Kerr your statement about agreeing totally on 2019 Victorian Britain might reasonably be interpreted as Kerr did. To be honest I'm not quite sure what animal meant to convey by it and I don't think there can be any meaningful comparison then and now. That said Kerr can be a nitpicker I agree.
    Thank you Wendun. I often like your approach too. Really sorry but in this case I think you're wrong.

Kerrs actual words were "To liken the current UK to Victorian Britain is a bit silly". I didnt.

Do you think WCM when you're talking to wendun that it seems like you're talking to Kerr
    Strange sensation but Kerr will be having his early bird meal at his local Harvester, so just my imagination I guess

This Labour Party are just digging themselves a bigger and bigger hole as each day passes.
    The country is stuggling to fund an adequate health service and yet they deem it essential that we all have free broadband.
    By all means improve the current infrastructure of it in terms of reliability, speed, consistency and role out to rural areas but why do they deem it necessary to make it free of charge.
    Crackpot idea indeed and a very poorly thought through
    Last edited by flourbasher; 17-11-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Thank you Wendun. I often like your approach too. Really sorry but in this case I think you're wrong.

Kerrs actual words were "To liken the current UK to Victorian Britain is a bit silly". I didnt.
    Twisting words.

You misinterpreted Animals comments and came up with a silly account of Britain today vs Victorian Britain.

Page 40 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast