+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: January transfer window

I’m hoping this means MacInnes might play Niall behind Cosgrove thereby giving more creativity

McInnes has been manager for 7 years and never played McGinn as no9 or no10 for more than 1 game in a row.

He's not gonna change now

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post

Symantics maybe, but how do you define "lazy signing"? A player already well known (McGeouch?) McInnes would get criticised if he signed a player we'd never heard of also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    It’s an easy signing in that he’s got a proven track record, he’s been on the radar before, he’s available.... but he’s very similar to what we’ve got - we’ve not addressed the real need in the team. In that sense it’s a bit of a lazy signing.
    I think Don covers what I mean by McGeouch being a "lazy signing".

Is, by the signing of Dylan McGeouch, addressing the deficiencies in our team?
    Is McInnes signing this player to prove that he "can get his man" in the end?
    Would Ojo have been signed if we had got McGeouch in the summer?
    If not, why do we need them both now?

McGeouch has spent the last two years do very little at Roker Park (or whatever it's called). There is no doubt that he looked a more attractive prospect when he left Hibs or Celtic than he does presently. Has his confidence been affected by two years on the fringes of the first team playing in England's third tier? Therefore, I would say that his career is in a downward trajectory. Let's hope he can halt it and is coming up here with something to prove.

But I think there are justifiable reasons to question the signing of McGeouch..
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 15-01-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    You have contradicted yourself by judging those 2 players before they have/had played for us yet said you won’t judge Kennedy until he has played for us.

I hope McGeouch and Kennedy turn out to be good players for us although I actually agree with you that we need more of a creative midfielder than any other position as we are shoe horning players into that role.

Also “lazy signings” is almost becoming as popular as “there’s a player in there” on Aberdeen mad
    I'm giving Kennedy more leeway because I think he might be a player that plays in a position that we actually require. I'm unsure if we require both McGeouch and Ojo. I'm absolutely positive we don't require Main.

In fact, I didn't think we required Jimmy Wilson either soon into his loan arrival but McInnes signed him permanently too.

The transfer dealings of McInnes sometimes seems baffling to people looking in...
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 15-01-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    I think Don covers what I mean by McGeouch being a "lazy signing".

Is, by the signing of Dylan McGeouch, addressing the deficiencies in our team?
    Is McInnes signing this player to prove that he "can get his man" in the end?
    Would Ojo have been signed if we had got McGeouch in the summer?
    If not, why do we need them both now?

If it's because McGeouch has just become available and didn't have much suitors then it looks a lazy signing...

McGeouch has spent the last two years do very little at Roker Park (or whatever it's called). There is no doubt that he looked a more attractive prospect when he left Hibs or Celtic than he does presently. Has his confidence been affected by two years on the fringes of the first team of a team in England's third tier? Therefore, I would say that his career is in a downward trajectory. Let's hope he can halt it and is coming up here with something to prove.

But I think there are justifiable reasons to question the signing of McGeouch..
    We

Disagree completely. The squad is paper thin particularly in midfield. January is particularly difficult to bring quality in unless you have lots of cash.
    Were you more excited with Forrester and Gleeson just because you hadn't heard of them ?
    McGeoch is quality if he stays fit . Signing someone like him on a free in January is a no brainer. I'm not saying we couldn't do with a bit of creativity as well but come on !

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post

The transfer dealings of McInnes sometimes seems baffling to people looking in...
    And worryingly, more baffling as the season’s pass by. For every Fergie, we have a Gleason and Forrester. For every Big Sam, a Wilson and Main.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    And worryingly, more baffling as the season’s pass by. For every Fergie, we have a Gleason and Forrester. For every Big Sam, a Wilson and Main.
    But the days when the manager holds the reins fully when it comes to signings are long gone.

Yes, I'd say within Aberdeen's management model, McInnes has the final say.

But if McInnes was trawling and travelling hither and yon to scout potential targets, then that would be a dereliction of duty in terms of the day to day management.

He must rely heavily on the club's scouting network, any manager must nowadays.

In this area we as a club have fallen woefully short and McInnes has to take his share of the blame.

I've said over and over, irrespective of how good or bad they are, the signings of Wilson and Main are just beyond description.

Unless Cosgrove gets injured or sold, if either of them play they're playing out of position.

McInnes must have signed off on these signings, so who is holding him accountable? Who is asking "Why" prior to the signatures finding their way onto the form?

It may be counterintuitive, but I think the absolute clusterfu ck that recruitment has been for the last number of windows is a reason for NOT pulling the trigger on McInnes at the moment.

A wholesale overhaul of the club's management structure is needed and changing the manager until that is done is moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    But the days when the manager holds the reins fully when it comes to signings are long gone.

Yes, I'd say within Aberdeen's management model, McInnes has the final say.

But if McInnes was trawling and travelling hither and yon to scout potential targets, then that would be a dereliction of duty in terms of the day to day management.

He must rely heavily on the club's scouting network, any manager must nowadays.

In this area we as a club have fallen woefully short and McInnes has to take his share of the blame.

I've said over and over, irrespective of how good or bad they are, the signings of Wilson and Main are just beyond description.

Unless Cosgrove gets injured or sold, if either of them play they're playing out of position.

McInnes must have signed off on these signings, so who is holding him accountable? Who is asking "Why" prior to the signatures finding their way onto the form?

It may be counterintuitive, but I think the absolute clusterfu ck that recruitment has been for the last number of windows is a reason for NOT pulling the trigger on McInnes at the moment.

A wholesale overhaul of the club's management structure is needed and changing the manager until that is done is moving the deckchairs on the Titanic.
    Stevie May alone must have cost over £750,000 when taking into account his wages.

Wilson winna be on buttons either.

Forrester? £200K fee, plus wages?

Main, Gleeson.

Bryson, maybe nae DMs fault, but we did sign him with an injury, at 33.

Huge window this, for McInnes

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    We

Disagree completely. The squad is paper thin particularly in midfield. January is particularly difficult to bring quality in unless you have lots of cash.
    Were you more excited with Forrester and Gleeson just because you hadn't heard of them ?
    McGeoch is quality if he stays fit . Signing someone like him on a free in January is a no brainer. I'm not saying we couldn't do with a bit of creativity as well but come on !
    I see your point, but not sure I totally agree. With Ojo now fit again, and in theory with Bryson returning as well as Campbell, Ferguson, etc. we ought to be pretty well stocked for central midfielders. But there's a glaring hole for a creative player.

I can see McGeouch potentially turning out to be a good signing, but if he is, then we'll surely have to let someone else go in the summer. Until then, we're tying up wages we could be spending on someone with creativity.

My guess would be that we'll bring in someone on loan from an English club like we did with Maddison. And then we'll look to find a proper recruit in the summer. TBH I don't really care at this point in the season who we get or from where (recognising the arguments of the anywhere but Celtic brigade), but for the sake of any kind of viewing pleasure I hope to God we just unearth someone who can make things happen and get the crowd on their feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    We

Disagree completely....

I'm not saying we couldn't do with a bit of creativity as well but come on !

...Were you more excited with Forrester and Gleeson just because you hadn't heard of them ?...
    So you don't disagree completely because you then agree we need creativity in midfield? So is that not a priority?

Lazy signing is nothing to do with knowing the players as I thought I had explained in my post.

Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast