+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Non league season over

If clubs can't survive this season being carried over then they will be doomed anyway if the crisis carries on. Governments are now going to be on such high alert that it seems fairly likely that we're going to see next season being suspended as well for a period. We could be looking at a stop-start pattern for at least 18 months with no vaccine. Hoperfully the majority of the NL will agree to carry on and if others refuse then their results can be expunged and we play on as an 18 team league or whatever.

I don’t see the point in any league making any decisions yet. No one has any idea when this will blow over. If it’s weeks rather then months then there is an argument to void it. If as IMO it takes months then there could be an argument to finishing this season and not having a 20/21 season. Problem with that is what clubs will have what squads, teams in mid table could literally play a youth team meaning the season wouldn’t have a fair outcome.
    What has to happen is that the clubs, whichever league they are in, must have a say.
    I do have one question though. If they decide to end the season and teams go up and down based on where they are now, would Notts be promoted as Harrogate have a 3G pitch that the EFL doesn’t accept?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I don’t see the point in any league making any decisions yet. No one has any idea when this will blow over. If it’s weeks rather then months then there is an argument to void it. If as IMO it takes months then there could be an argument to finishing this season and not having a 20/21 season. Problem with that is what clubs will have what squads, teams in mid table could literally play a youth team meaning the season wouldn’t have a fair outcome.
    What has to happen is that the clubs, whichever league they are in, must have a say.
    I do have one question though. If they decide to end the season and teams go up and down based on where they are now, would Notts be promoted as Harrogate have a 3G pitch that the EFL doesn’t accept?
    Harrogate have been doing work on their ground to satisfy the Football League's standards, so they must already have a plan in place regards the 3G pitch.

Unless a number of L2 clubs go out of business and the FL then decided to invite us back in to make up the numbers, we'll almost certainly be stuck in the NL if they decide to void it.

Null and void doesn't sit right with me the teams who benefit are all the bottom teams the ones who have played well lose out.

I am done with it if they pull anything like that and why the rush for next season the chances are we wont complete a full season either.

Given the history involving ourselves and the football authorities over the last few years, I think the safest bet will be whatever decision screws Notts the most is what we will end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    They need to make decisions ASAP or there will be no clubs left
    Most clubs live hand to mouth, months on months with no income is going to kills them
    There are plenty of teams with loan players who will be due to return
    The most sensible thing to do for the long term security of the clubs is to wind it all up for the season and void it
    We are in uncertain times and many owners will be struggling with external businesses so the football black hole of money is going to be the last thing they want to fund

If teams are struggling now they will be struggling next season and some like Barnet have lost revenue for 7 home games.

Basically fans have paid £300 for a ST to watch glorified friendlies if they now dont count.

Also factor in we could lose our better players now they know we are non league again not exactly fair on the teams who have got themselves into the play offs whilst sh#t like Chorley get rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    If teams are struggling now they will be struggling next season and some like Barnet have lost revenue for 7 home games.

Basically fans have paid £300 for a ST to watch glorified friendlies if they now dont count.

Also factor in we could lose our better players now they know we are non league again not exactly fair on the teams who have got themselves into the play offs whilst sh#t like Chorley get rewarded.
    Feels like there's a lot of clubs who want to take everybody else down with them. I know that's not the case, but that's how it feels right now. A whole bunch of clubs are going to miss out on what they have worked hard for all season, in most cases just to make things easier for those who have struggled and in some cases because they are badly run. And it might not even make any difference in the long run anyway. Yes these are exceptional circumstances, but this is not the game and the rules we all signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Null and void doesn't sit right with me the teams who benefit are all the bottom teams the ones who have played well lose out.
    It would be a ludicrous solution and a slap in the fact to fans who have paid hundreds of pounds to watch games that would be rendered meaningless. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised if such a decision was legally actionable in some way against the National League. Yes, this is a very unusual circumstance, but it does not make the league season impossible to complete. It simply means the authorities would have to think outside of their normal box. The problem is that the organisations who control football often tend towards incompetence, so nothing would surprise me!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It would be a ludicrous solution and a slap in the fact to fans who have paid hundreds of pounds to watch games that would be rendered meaningless. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised if such a decision was legally actionable in some way against the National League. Yes, this is a very unusual circumstance, but it does not make the league season impossible to complete. It simply means the authorities would have to think outside of their normal box. The problem is that the organisations who control football often tend towards incompetence, so nothing would surprise me!

This ^^^^

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast