+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Loss of Normality

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Thing is, you never see rust buckets these days with all that galvanised stuff and hi tech paint.

Back in the day I was always sanding off the rust and filling holes and then trying in vain to cover up the repair with those aerosol spray paint cans.

I believe that waxing a car is for retired blokes who need an excuse to get away from their Missus for an hour or two. Especially now the pubs are shut.

I have a shed.
    In my case I just needed to get outside after what seemed like six months of indoor decorating, it was probably less than a week, but it seemed like six months.

Thing is, you never see rust buckets these days with all that galvanised stuff and hi tech paint.

Back in the day I was always sanding off the rust and filling holes and then trying in vain to cover up the repair with those aerosol spray paint cans.

I believe that waxing a car is for retired blokes who need an excuse to get away from their Missus for an hour or two. Especially now the pubs are shut.

I have a shed.
    My missus has a shed! I went for a 7 mile walk and never saw another soul actually out in the fresh air although one or two cars drove past. No queue at the supermarket either when I passed by. Satisfying day all round topped off with an 8 mile indoor cycle ride. Who's bored?
    Last edited by Supersub6; 31-03-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    My missus has a shed! I went for a 7 mile walk and never saw another soul actually out in the fresh air although one or two cars drove past. No queue at the supermarket either when I passed by. Satisfying day all round topped off with an 8 mile indoor cycle ride. Who's bored?
    Good for you super! Any kind of exercise helps and the weather is playing ball at the moment.

Good for you super! Any kind of exercise helps and the weather is playing ball at the moment.
    It certainly is 59_60. It is handy living right on the edge of the woods because it makes it dead easy to escape amd no questions asked!

"The Imperial College team and the Chief Medical Advisor are the best we have on this subject and I think it wise that we heed their advice. They have reached the top of their profession because they know their stuff. They are more likely to be right than a columnist in the Conservative Woman or Spectator."

They may be the best the government have 59, they are not necessarily the best 'we' have, or the best there are. Anyway, while you want to accept their opinions unquestioningly, have a look at what Lord Sumption has to say on the subject, he used to be a Supreme Court judge and I do believe you have the utmost respect for that august body and it's members, if memory serves me right.

"I’m not a scientist, but it is the right and duty of every citizen to look and see what the scientists have said and to analyse it for themselves and to draw commonsense conclusions. We are all perfectly capable of doing that, and there’s no particular reason why the scientific nature of the problem should mean that we have to resign our liberty into the hands of scientists. We all have critical faculties, and it’s rather important in a moment of national panic that we should maintain them.’"

Even Boris had to bow to the wisdom of the Noble Lords 59, may I suggest you do the same and allow us all to use our critical faculties.

Don't get me wrong Sinkov.

I am not unquestioningly accepting their opinion, but I have more faith in them than any other body at the moment. You say that they are not necessarily the best we have or the best there are, then I have to ask, "who is the best in these circumstances?"
    No organisation is infallible and they are having to give guidance at very short notice.

I will ask again, if you were PM then which advice would you follow? Would you listen to renowned experts or would you follow your gut?

And without doubt, their advise should be thoroughly scrutinised and questioned. And this is taking place all the time in the media and in the daily briefings.

Don't get me wrong Sinkov.

I am not unquestioningly accepting their opinion, but I have more faith in them than any other body at the moment. You say that they are not necessarily the best we have or the best there are, then I have to ask, "who is the best in these circumstances?"
    No organisation is infallible and they are having to give guidance at very short notice.

I will ask again, if you were PM then which advice would you follow? Would you listen to renowned experts or would you follow your gut?

And without doubt, their advise should be thoroughly scrutinised and questioned. And this is taking place all the time in the media and in the daily briefings.
    I won't argue with that 59, and of course I agree that they have to follow the advice of their medical and scientific experts. Not sure why you were taking exception to alternate opinions on here though, seeing as you now agree their advice should be scrutinised and questioned.

I will ask again, if you were PM then which advice would you follow? Would you listen to renowned.....

well - 59".....lets see, would I listen to Professor Neil Ferguson, Absolutely Not.

Well, you may ask....there must be good reason to dismiss the conclusions from one of such great renown ? Thats the point, he's more famed for failure - than success.

---

He was behind controversial research that triggered the mass slaughter of farm animals during the 2001 FMD epidemic, which cost the country billions of pounds.

And separately, he also predicted that up to 150,000 people could die from bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, or “mad cow disease”) and its equivalent in sheep if it made the leap in humans. . To date, there have been less than 200 deaths from the human form of BSE and no deaths from sheep-to-human transmission.

In 2001, when FMD broke out in parts of Britain, Ferguson and his team at Imperial College produced predictive modeling – which was later criticized as “not suitable for its intended use” .

Dr. Ferguson’s research on foot and mouth disease was the subject of two very critical academic articles which identified allegedly problematic assumptions in his mathematical modeling.

At the time, however, he proved to be very influential and helped persuade Tony Blair’s government to carry out a general preventive slaughter that ultimately led to the deaths of more than six million cattle, sheep and pigs. The cost to the economy was then estimated at £ 10 billion.

“Intensive slaughter is unfortunately the only option to control the current UK epidemic, and it is essential that the control measures currently in place be maintained as the number of cases decreases to ensure eradication,” said their report. , published after the start of slaughter..

An article from 2011, Destructive tension: mathematics versus experience – progress and control of the 2001 FMD epidemic in Britain, found that the government had ordered the destruction of millions of animals due to “seriously flawed” modeling.

According to one of its authors – the former head of the Pirbright laboratory at the Institute for Animal Health, Dr. Alex Donaldson – Ferguson’s models made a “serious mistake” by “ignoring the specific composition of farms” and the fact that the disease has spread faster between some species than others.

The report said, “The mathematical models were, at best, rough estimates that could not differentiate risk between farms and, at worst, inaccurate representations of the epidemiology of FMD.”

He also described a feverish atmosphere – reminiscent of the past few weeks – and argued that this allowed mathematical modellers to shape government policy.

https://www.fr24news.com/n24/2020/03...-research.html

---

imo....you'd need to be a Psychopath to employ that again - especially at this level.

About FOUR**** HUNDRED UK citizens die everyday, that's roughly TEN THOUSAND people who pass away every week.

Does anybody actually trust our lot to tell us the truth as to how many of those deaths are currently as a direct consequence of the COVID-19 "pandemic"?

No - thought not!

P.S. I have no idea whatsoever why we cannot use the word t-e-e-n on here!

Are you pointing your finger at our doctors and nurses now BT?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)