+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Book recommendations

Places in between sounds good. I read a lot when away, been ploughing through the Harry Boshe detective series, ride the magic carpet, stormrider tales of Indonesian surf pioneers, been listening to a few audio books at work, the moon and the sixpence and of human bondage both Somerset Maugham that l read forty odd years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    ����
    Not with glue, Tsanho!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    ����
    This little clip should point you in the right direction TSANHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NesjZbF1Ls

Regarding books I have to admit to being mainly a holiday reader, but I would suggest sampling the works of Irvine Welsh. I first read a novel of his called 'Filth', where the 'hero' is a corrupt cop with fewer morals than Donald Trump! His books won't be for everyone because they are frequently written in an Edinburgh dialect, but they are about as graphic as you can get. If you ever want an insight into why some people are attracted by football hooliganism, read 'Marabou Stork Nightmares'. It's probably the weirdest but most enthralling book I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This little clip should point you in the right direction TSANHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NesjZbF1Ls

Regarding books I have to admit to being mainly a holiday reader, but I would suggest sampling the works of Irvine Welsh. I first read a novel of his called 'Filth', where the 'hero' is a corrupt cop with fewer morals than Donald Trump! His books won't be for everyone because they are frequently written in an Edinburgh dialect, but they are about as graphic as you can get. If you ever want an insight into why some people are attracted by football hooliganism, read 'Marabou Stork Nightmares'. It's probably the weirdest but most enthralling book I've ever read.
    I should have mentioned that Irvine Welsh is most famous for the film of the same name based on his book 'Trainspotting'.

If you liked the film you'll probably like his other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Pages stuck together Joe?

Jealous are we...

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Jealous are we...
    Erm.... No.

Whatever gets you through I suppose.

All the best.

Ah, what a great thread this could turn out to be, there is nothing better than book recommendations.

A couple from me then.

An all-timer: if you haven't read Catch 22 yet, pick it up. If you aren't crying with laughter within a couple of chapters put it back down. It just doesn't seem to work for some folks.

Recency bias: I've just finished The First Circle. That might not be easy to find, but the larger point is to read Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is his most famous work, personally I found Cancer Ward astonishing.

I could go on for hours about great books. Oh, I saw someone mentioning crime fiction; I'd recommend looking at Robert Crais, Stuart MacBride and John Connolly. Three very different styles, some very good writing from those three. Again, there's millions worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlett's Dust View Post
    Plenty of spare time at the moment so I've got back into my reading, a few recommendations below for ones I have read recently and were good. If anyone has any recommendations please add.

Don Winslow - The Border
    Like Narcos the novel, very detailed, violent and descriptive.

Blake Crouch - Dark Matter
    Sci-fi thriller from the author of the Wayward Pines books.

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
    a western but not a typical western, very graphic and violent known as one of the most shocking books ever written.

John Niven - Kill Your Friends
    Like an Indie version of American Psycho.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon
    Classic book, one of the only ones I've read twice.

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
    Only book I've read without a break.

A few I have downloaded today and will probably read over the next week or so.

Shane Stadler - Exoskeleton
    Similar to 1984 apparently, free on Kindle Unlimited.

Iris Chang - The Rape of Nanking
    About the atrocities against the Chinese by Japanese soldiers in 1937.

Robert Bolano - 2666
    One of the best books of the noughties, nearly a 1,000 pages long.
    The Wasp Factory is one of my favourite books but its been a while so I think I will read it again now.

If you have plenty of time try the epic Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts one of our own over here. There are claims over its authenticity but its a thrilling novel.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The Wasp Factory is one of my favourite books but its been a while so I think I will read it again now.

If you have plenty of time try the epic Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts one of our own over here. There are claims over its authenticity but its a thrilling novel.
    I bought that after it was recommended on here. Haven't gotten round to reading it yet.

Roger Mellie. Roger's Profanisaurus. Very rude and funny. Just the tonic for the current virus situation

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast