+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Asghar Signings

Tony Asghar Signings

Looking at the current lack of quality both in defence and midfield in particular is there anybody else thinking that Tony Asghar needs to get his finger out, the majority of his signings brought in have arguably weakened the team, some of them have not even played a full game, sent out on loan etc. Cause they are not good enough, we need to replace half the team in January with better than what we've got or we will be dragged right down into a relegation battle, so frustrated at the s*** we are serving up just now.

Have some sympathy over this summer as hands were tied due to finances so we haven't really strengthened for going in to Premiership. Fuchs looks a good signing under the circumstances We have done better defensively that I was expecting but midfield is an utter black hole. If we can get some creativity in January it can maybe actually provide something for the forwards who can score goals. Stay in the league and next summer transfer window will be crucial.

I actually think the opposite tbh

Shankland, Fuchs seem to be above what they have had in recent years

McNulty is good when he gets ball to his feet

Think we need to be patient- 5th in league following promotion

Yea think this is nonsense personally, we are doing not bad, losing at Celtic Park with a weakened team is standard stuff

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Yea think this is nonsense personally, we are doing not bad, losing at Celtic Park with a weakened team is standard stuff
    28 years standard stuff unfortunately.

It will take more than a few transfer windows to strengthen our squad, our best hope is to compliment this with bringing the young guys through. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I said at the time of the January transfer window in 2015 that the Snake had put us back a decade in an instant and that it would take that long to recover anywhere near back to where we were. Still stand by that - promotion in itself was in no way ‘the recovery’ and it’s going to take another 2-3 seasons to get us back into a consistent top 4/5 SPL Club. Comfortably staying up this season is the first stage towards that ultimate goal so we have to give all the back room team the time to put it all together. Just no repeats of that horror run of Sevco/Killie/Livi/Peterheid/Kelty Hearts please.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I said at the time of the January transfer window in 2015 that the Snake had put us back a decade in an instant and that it would take that long to recover anywhere near back to where we were. Still stand by that - promotion in itself was in no way ‘the recovery’ and it’s going to take another 2-3 seasons to get us back into a consistent top 4/5 SPL Club. Comfortably staying up this season is the first stage towards that ultimate goal so we have to give all the back room team the time to put it all together. Just no repeats of that horror run of Sevco/Killie/Livi/Peterheid/Kelty Hearts please.
    The sale of Armstrong and GMS in January 2015 put us back 10 years?that's some assumption considering they'd have likely gone the summer of that year anyway and GMS had downed tools after signing a pre contract with Timothy anyway.

The culmination of having a hopeless manager and an even more hopeless chairman was our obvious downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    The sale of Armstrong and GMS in January 2015 put us back 10 years?that's some assumption considering they'd have likely gone the summer of that year anyway and GMS had downed tools after signing a pre contract with Timothy anyway.

The culmination of having a hopeless manager and an even more hopeless chairman was our obvious downfall.
    We went downhill right from that moment as it killed the enthusiasm of the remaining squad and fans when we were gonna finish 2nd/3rd and on course to have our third best ever league season pts per game (outwith 1983 and 1987) and had just reached a second consecutive final

We also weakened the full back area, we let Watson and Townsend go that jan window and brought in McGowan and a past prime Dixon

Then at end of season lost Ciftci, Fojut, Rado and Butcher

That's 8 players that helped us be a very strong team and squad all let go and not replaced with as good.. a joke period and couple of windows

However what's done is done, we just don't repeat any of that in the future, we are now back and need to consolidate this season which we have so far since in difficult times... Then look to progress going forward and break back into the top 4

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post

Timing is everything Whitfield. GMS was obviously on his way on the pre contract and everyone expected Stretch to be sold in the summer as he was entering his last year. But to sell them then? When we were third and not far off top? When we were due to play the buying team just a few weeks later in a Cup Final? When we had already raked in millions over the previous year? When the Chairman had quite publicly said that he would not be selling?

The combination of all of the above added up to a helluva lot more than just the sale of two individuals. It cut to the very core of our support and ripped the Club to shreds. I was not the only one who thought ‘What’s The Phucking Point?’ when we sold them, when we genuinely had a chance of silverware, which at the end of the day is ultimately what it’s meant to be about. That one single act initiated infighting the like of which I don’t think we’ve ever seen at Dundee United and tore us apart. So, yeh, I don’t think we’ve recovered from it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Timing is everything Whitfield. GMS was obviously on his way on the pre contract and everyone expected Stretch to be sold in the summer as he was entering his last year. But to sell them then? When we were third and not far off top? When we were due to play the buying team just a few weeks later in a Cup Final? When we had already raked in millions over the previous year? When the Chairman had quite publicly said that he would not be selling?

The combination of all of the above added up to a helluva lot more than just the sale of two individuals. It cut to the very core of our support and ripped the Club to shreds. I was not the only one who thought ‘What’s The Phucking Point?’ when we sold them, when we genuinely had a chance of silverware, which at the end of the day is ultimately what it’s meant to be about. That one single act initiated infighting the like of which I don’t think we’ve ever seen at Dundee United and tore us apart. So, yeh, I don’t think we’ve recovered from it.
    Don't want to over simplify the issue (yes I do ) but..... It would have been so.... simple to say to Celtic, Yes, the chairman is selling, yes, you can have them, but ONLY after the final. I'm sure I have missed technicalities on why this was allowed to happen but it the whole thing stank! I never went back to Tannadice for a year after that , until the usual cutting the nose aff etc ! :/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)