+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Old Brummie Road End.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    When did the atmosphere evaporate from the Brummie? It really used to rock, the Smethwick has become the last vestige of anyone with a pulse..

The atmosphere started to go from the Brummie about 30 years ago when the club house mob started to become a force. The club house used to sit next to the away supporters in the Halfords ( now East Stand ) below the executive boxes and really made a noise!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    When did the atmosphere evaporate from the Brummie? It really used to rock, the Smethwick has become the last vestige of anyone with a pulse..
    It pretty much disappeared with the demise of the old stand, it’s never been the same since it became all seated.

In your point Des, you are correct about the Villa match in 77 being the last ever 40,000+ crowd at our ground, my first ever match at Albion was in May 72 v Leeds and I think there was 41,000 at that match.

Thanks to our various chairmen we’ve gradually made ourselves smaller!

The Brummie changed when they knocked the Rainbow down, a lot family's moved and stayed in the Brummie due to the price of the new East stand. Then a lot of the young uns moved to the Smethwick.
    Iv'e got mem

The Brummie changed when they knocked the Rainbow down, a lot family's moved and stayed in the Brummie due to the price of the new East stand. Then a lot of the young uns moved to the Smethwick.
    Iv'e got memories of the old Brummie with no roof,then after they built the Rainbow we got the cover from the old terrace.
    The next Brummie was after we won the cup in 68 and had the new Brummie built,no more railway sleepers.
    Then we got this one,which was great till they moved out to go in the Smethwick.
    I've had the same seat since it was built. Can't see me moving.

At last…

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    The ALBION sign lit up at night on the Birmingham Road, love to see it back. I remember when me and me mates would stand at the back and would make an unholy racket kicking the corrugated panels. Then there was the letter scoreboard next to the brummie which we would check avidly at half time against the Albion programme. Getting a drink off the bloke who used to walk the perimeter of the ground with his tray around his neck, just like at the cinema.
    After all these years I now know who it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Yes you are right, winning 6-1 then a couple of G Best moments of magic and they made it a more respectable score. We had beaten Blues in the semi of the FA Cup on the previous Saturday, then beat Man U in the week and then beat West Ham (I think) on the following Saturday. Today's snowflakes could not manage 3 games in a week let alone win them.
    I was at the West Ham game, I seem to think it was Asa Hartford’s debut. Also, I have a vague memory that we played Man U on the Monday and West Ham on the Wednesday or Thursday. Doesn’t sound right by today’s standards but who knows? It was a loooong time ago, and the only fact I am certain of is that I was there!

This was the last night that the old atmosphere inhabited the ground.

https://youtu.be/RW2F57FXojU

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    This was the last night that the old atmosphere inhabited the ground.

https://youtu.be/RW2F57FXojU
    Hi Mick that was a great night and good to hear Jeff Astle on the video

I was at the 6-3 Man U game & Wet Spam 2 days later. I recall The King scored a hat trick on both occasions or maybe it's just a senior moment!

The sensational 2-0 win against Cloughies Forest in 1978 was the best time I had in the Brummie. Crammed in like a proper sardine can, could hardly see the pitch, but we didn't care, we won. We had a great run that year and should have bloody won the Cup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)