+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave's take on relegation being nailed on.

Unhappy Dave's take on relegation being nailed on.

Dave Thornley reflects on a result which may well have sealed Burnley’s fate, relegation now looks virtually inevitable.
    Burnley’s third consecutive defeat in yesterday’s away fixture at Brentford feels like a tipping point has been reached in Burnley’s tough season.
    The Clarets have failed on each of those last three occasions to extract themselves out of the bottom three and now lie idle for the rest of the month whilst their relegation rivals are offered the opportunity to pick up the points, they need to leave Burnley stranded in the relegation zone.
    When Burnley do resume their season, on the second of April, they face the inescapability of defeat at the hands of Manchester City. The odds following the visit of Pep’s superstars must be that relegation will be almost confirmed for the Clarets.
    In yesterday’s match at Brentford’s newly refurbished Community Stadium, Burnley’s play suggested a reliance on a familiar plan (if that is not too grandiose a description) of hanging on for as long as possible and hoping to nick a goal.
    One or two opportunities did present themselves over the course of the game: a badly miscued header by Dwight McNeil; Maxwel Cornet muscled out of making firm enough contact when through on goal and a speculative long-range effort by Jay Rodriguez which was a mere crossbar’s width away from being a credible goal of the season contender.
    But five minutes from time, it all began to go pear-shaped. Christian Eriksen’s curling left wing cross dropped perfectly onto the head of Ivan Toney to put Brentford a goal up. Shortly afterwards, Nathan Collins was, perhaps, a little hard done by to concede a penalty and receive Burnley’s first red card in years, with a challenge that was more clumsy than malicious and did seem to make at least initial contact with the ball. Toney converted emphatically from the spot.
    The reason for Burnley’s struggles this season have been clear for all to see; lack of investment in successive transfer windows; an inflexible playing style; opponents who improved whilst Burnley stood still; injuries to key players at inopportune times and a media whose agenda seems to be focused on re-hashing negative stereotypes or simply ignoring Burnley altogether.
    That last point may seem trivial, but it is my belief that this largely unflattering media narrative serves to actively discourage the type of players needed to compete effectively in the Premier League from considering Burnley as a potential employer.
    Having put themselves in with a good chance of escaping the drop with a good run of form in February, Burnley are now floundering and potentially sinking. It is a sad scenario to contemplate for the legions of true Burnley fans, but perhaps the Clarets have defied gravity for long enough? The time may well have come for Dyche’s troopers to return to the calmer and less prosperous waters of the Championship.

Attachment 21330

Tonight's results could be the beginning of the end, thingslook even worse now.

Look worse for Everton aswell

And now the end is here
    And so I face that final curtain
    My friend I'll make it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
    I've lived a life that's full
    I travelled each and every highway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it the Dyche way
    Last edited by kritichris; 13-03-2022 at 10:45 PM.

this say it all :

"Burnley’s play suggested a reliance on a familiar plan (if that is not too grandiose a description) of hanging on for as long as possible and hoping to nick a goal."

that - against Brentford, I doubt there's a championship team thatd've played as saplessly as us against that lot....and with us fighting for PL survival, takes pathetic to another level....I don't know what the game is - but what I do know, regardless of what happens this season, that spiv in the picture above should do what he does best - put on his raincoat and go sell some fake brand watches.

Cheers Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

this say it all :

"Burnley’s play suggested a reliance on a familiar plan (if that is not too grandiose a description) of hanging on for as long as possible and hoping to nick a goal."

that - against Brentford, I doubt there's a championship team thatd've played as saplessly as us against that lot....and with us fighting for PL survival, takes pathetic to another level....I don't know what the game is - but what I do know, regardless of what happens this season, that spiv in the picture above should do what he does best - put on his raincoat and go sell some fake brand watches.

Cheers Dave.
    We were shoite as we have been for 90% of this season.Dyche calls it not far off.

There have been numerous comments on here about Dyche, tactics, is it his fault and so on.

What has been sad to see is that Cornet came and set the team on fire at times.

WW came and showed that he has more technical ability than Woods and brought something more to the team.

Dyche commented that they both have to get used to the way the team performs.

He appears to have achieved that by negating their abilities and turning them into yet more of the same - hoof ball. WW needs it to feet, not long hit and hope stuff. Cornet needs service running into the box as he was doing.

Unless he resigns, I cannot see how the club will be able to buy out his contract.

The future does not look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    There have been numerous comments on here about Dyche, tactics, is it his fault and so on.

What has been sad to see is that Cornet came and set the team on fire at times.

WW came and showed that he has more technical ability than Woods and brought something more to the team.

Dyche commented that they both have to get used to the way the team performs.

He appears to have achieved that by negating their abilities and turning them into yet more of the same - hoof ball. WW needs it to feet, not long hit and hope stuff. Cornet needs service running into the box as he was doing.

Unless he resigns, I cannot see how the club will be able to buy out his contract.

The future does not look good.
    Gloomy view is that S_c.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Gloomy view is that S_c.
    Please feel free to cheer me up, BT!

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Please feel free to cheer me up, BT!
    If you don't mind, sir, I'll give it a try. The Championship will offer a couple of nice matches; bstrds, Blackpool, Preston. There is a excellent possibility to be drunk for a whole week with potentially three home matches over a week. No VAR (I hope). Greater chance of getting new players. Hopefully less pressure and more freedom to express themselves (I hope). Bigger chance of SD leaving (I REALLY hope).

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)