+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A view from the terraces

A view from the terraces

Well of course the news is full of Premier League clubs and where their owners’ money comes from. Abramovich is sanctioned and Chelsea are up for sale with a Saudi consortium rumoured to be among the potential buyers. We have been here before of course with Saudi Arabia and human rights, with the furore over the Newcastle United takeover. When pressed Thomas Tuchel and Eddie Howe will say it is not for us to deal with these political questions and why should football clubs be held to a higher standard. All very well of course but players sign for these clubs because of the money and continue to take the knee to protest against social injustice everywhere. Frankly I don’t want to get relegated but, if we do, I won’t miss this aspect of the Premier League one little bit.

The hypocrisy is sickening outwood. It's not as if Johnson had no idea Londongrad was ramjamfull of Russian billionaires and I'm sure he was equally aware of Chelsea Football Club's ownership details over the last two decades.

I wait with bated breath for the Tories to return their "Dirty Money" donations.

Speaking of money. While we are taking billions in arm deals from the Saudis and still turn a blind eye to the obliteration of Yemen, Syria and Gaza, we continue to allow an EPL club to be taken over by a group who freely admit to putting a dissident through a meat mincer while also proudly declaring they have executed 81 human beings in a single day.

In sinkov's immortal words, "the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum".

“Money is the root of all evil”.

Says it all, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    “Money is the root of all evil”.

Says it all, really.
    And the Tory party is in bed with the Devil. Lubov Chernukhin is the biggest female donor in recent British political history and has donated more than £1.8 million to the Tory Party over recent years, her husband, a former Russian minister to Putin, has strong links to the Kremlin.

Can we seriously expect Johnson & Co to chastise and act against Putin when Chernukhin shows us the close proximity of the British government to Russian money?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    And the Tory party is in bed with the Devil. Lubov Chernukhin is the biggest female donor in recent British political history and has donated more than £1.8 million to the Tory Party over recent years, her husband, a former Russian minister to Putin, has strong links to the Kremlin.

Can we seriously expect Johnson & Co to chastise and act against Putin when Chernukhin shows us the close proximity of the British government to Russian money?
    Therein lies a massive problem. The Government, as flatulent as ever, imposes more sanctions three weeks later. Presumably that has given their “comrades” time to protect their assets so that they can continue to donate! We wouldn’t want to see Boris Johnsonovic penniless would we?

I am concerned in this view from the terraces on the effect of foreign ownership on the Premier League, clubs, players and fans. Politics can and should sort their own dirty games out. I am not sure the EPL have done nearly enough to protect football. Perhaps it is time for an independent regulator?

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I am concerned in this view from the terraces on the effect of foreign ownership on the Premier League, clubs, players and fans. Politics can and should sort their own dirty games out. I am not sure the EPL have done nearly enough to protect football. Perhaps it is time for an independent regulator?
    Just run down a list of "who owns who" outwood and you can smell the EPL corruption and collusion before you reach Wolverhampton.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)