+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: After Arter

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Notts never fail to amaze, it’s how they do it that troubles me! Like others have said, is this another Vaughn signing? Whatever happens, the club have been proactive in trying to sort a problem area so kudos for that 👍
    Was very surprised by this signing ,in a positive way on the whole in as much as being able to sign a player from the championship , albeit from F - word.

However , genuinely don't understand why we are signing another midfielder, this would have been the area where I thought we were covered. Palmer , Francis , Vincent , Brunt are all currently available as far as im aware , JOB is lost somewhere.

Im asking if its just me or would a striker or centre half been more useful? , bearing in mind they were discussing playing Wootton at centre half last night.

Not critising anyone , im just a bit baffled.

Living down on the south coast as I do, I saw and heard a lot about Harry Arter during his Bournemouth days. For a good few years he was always early on the team-sheet in the Championship and Prem. Provided his head's in the right place, I reckon he could be a very good signing for the rest of our season. Plenty of people have pointed out that we're too nice to play against, because we don't have any bite in midfield. This bloke can definitely give us that. We need someone like Robbie Savage, Joey Barton or Lee Hendry and Arter is that style of player.

Very much hope he’s the bite and guile in midfield we’ve been needing. Not overly optimistic though, given how he’s played for Forest and Charlton.

I’ll admit to giving up on optimism, seeing as I want to save on psychologist bills. .
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-03-2022 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Typo fixed for you :)

Very much a weird signing for me and smacks of desperation a bit. He is older and not in our model at all. If that isn't an issue then great but lets see how he goes before getting excited. He is talking about enjoying himself. Well frankly we need hungry players not ones out for a stroll in the park. Feedback I have read from F word fans is quite disparaging. Welcome to him and I hope he gives us the bite in midfield we need but the jury is VERY much out. I assume we are not paying the rumoured 38k a week in wages!

Comparisons being made to David Vaughan but he's three years younger than Vaughan was when he joined. I'd say that getting a 32-year-old international player to sign for a non-league club is quite a surprising coup, and he should bring experience and a bit of leadership to the side. Obviously we reserve judgement until he plays, but it's not every day you persuade an established player to make a jump directly from the Championship to the National League. It shouldn't hold any fears for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Comparisons being made to David Vaughan but he's three years younger than Vaughan was when he joined. I'd say that getting a 32-year-old international player to sign for a non-league club is quite a surprising coup, and he should bring experience and a bit of leadership to the side. Obviously we reserve judgement until he plays, but it's not every day you persuade an established player to make a jump directly from the Championship to the National League. It shouldn't hold any fears for him.
    We'll just have to wait and see if he is up to it in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    We didn't persuade anyone ( from what I have read). He instigated it. From a psychology perspective alone I find that a bit weird but its an open book until we see what he can do. Definatley on the surface a coup. But lets see.

There have been demands for more experience and more bite in the team. Fingers crossed Mr After brings both to the table.

It's ok saying we are well covered in that area of the pitch but is the central midfield area working? Not of late is my obvious simplistic reply.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    There have been demands for more experience and more bite in the team. Fingers crossed Mr After brings both to the table.

It's ok saying we are well covered in that area of the pitch but is the central midfield area working? Not of late is my obvious simplistic reply.
    It was only a day or two ago that it was suggested that Doyle should have played some minutes in midfield this season. Durham did correct me on that he wasn’t suggesting a key part for Doyle but utilising his experience. This signing gives us experience in key part of the pitch. Experience we have lacked. I hope Arter brings his experience and hopefully some leadership to the midfield

Quote Originally Posted by St Kitts Magpie View Post
    Was very surprised by this signing ,in a positive way on the whole in as much as being able to sign a player from the championship , albeit from F - word.

However , genuinely don't understand why we are signing another midfielder, this would have been the area where I thought we were covered. Palmer , Francis , Vincent , Brunt are all currently available as far as im aware , JOB is lost somewhere.

Im asking if its just me or would a striker or centre half been more useful? , bearing in mind they were discussing playing Wootton at centre half last night.

Not critising anyone , im just a bit baffled.
    2 different problems in my view. Clearly not good enough in both boxes atm which is why suggestions of a striker / centre half are both entirely reasonable. Not expecting arter to fix this. Problem 2 being an inability to alter the flow of a game when it’s turning against us. This is more a collective mentality thing and yes we need players with bite, but arguably most important is a player or 2 that have an infectious mentality that lifts the team - don’t know enough about arter, but we can only hope he helps with the latter

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast