+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dara O Shea article over here.

Dara O Shea article over here.

Dara O'Shea reflected on a day of "immense pride" after he was handed the West Brom captaincy for the first time and responded with a goal and an assist in a 5-2 hammering of Hull City.

The Republic of Ireland defender has been at the Baggies since 2015, when he moved over from Dublin schoolboy outfit St Kevin's Boys.

Loan spells at Hereford and Exeter City toughened up the centre-half and he has really kicked on in the last two years, becoming a a key man for his club and earning senor international caps with his country.

On Saturday, O'Shea was given the armband for the first time by boss Steve Bruce, and he admitted it was a big surprise.

"The emotion I'm feeling the most right now is immense pride if I’m being honest," O'Shea, 23, told the club website.

"I’ve been here since I was 16 and just to play for the first team is a massive honour, but to lead the team out as captain in a league game is special.

"I’ll never forget this moment. I didn’t know I was going to be captain until before the game so it kind of came at me quite fast. The boss mentioned it in the team meeting before the game. I saw my name up to play and it had captain next to it too.

"I was just really happy when I saw it. I prepared exactly the same way and approached it like I would any other game to be honest.

"It’s something I’ve always wanted to do here, be a captain. I’m just really happy to have achieved it."

West Brom earned their first win of the season with an impressive victory over early Championship high-flyers Hull at the Hawthorns.

An own goal by Callum Elder set Bruce's side on their way against one of his former clubs then quick goals at the start of the second half from John Swift and Darnell Furlong, before Karlan Grant's penalty and O'Shea sealed a welcome three point.

Leading 2-0, Albion extended their lead with a low, angled shot from Furlong after a square pass from O'Shea, who then added a goal of his own with a diving header following a cross from the right in the 85th minute.

"It was almost a perfect afternoon and I say almost because I would’ve wanted us to have kept a clean sheet," O'Shea added.

"I’m really disappointed we’ve conceded two goals in that game.

"Scoring goals is what we’ve been lacking of late. We’ve been playing well but we haven’t been scoring and we haven’t been winning. You need to score to win games and we’ve managed to get five which is really pleasing.

"It’s massive for the boys and the whole team. It proves what we are trying to do is right. Goals will come. It’s a really positive day.

"I’ll take the goal if they want to give it to me, but as a defender, I’d rather have kept a clean sheet.

Good article Dubbs and thanks for posting it. Bloody good lad is Dara, chuffed he signed that contract as I didn't want us to have to sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Good article Dubbs and thanks for posting it. Bloody good lad is Dara, chuffed he signed that contract as I didn't want us to have to sell him.
    I particularly like the point he makes about it almost been a perfect day.
    He scored one and laid another one on for Furlong but was disappointed they conceded two late goals...so as a defender he is not happy..
    Good lad Dara...

Super lad.

Top lad and a great defender, not blessed with pace but great positional sense, his blossoming partnership with Ajayi is really starting to look the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Top lad and a great defender, not blessed with pace but great positional sense, his blossoming partnership with Ajayi is really starting to look the real deal.
    Ajayi wants to strengthen himself up. To easily scored yesterday in a one on one match..He is big and should be doing better then that..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)