+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: City of Aberdeen and its football club.

While that is undoubtedly true, Aberdeen take it to a new level of stupidity.

I remember, as a ten year old, watching them lifting those massive concrete egg box sections onto what became Norco House and thinking
    " bloody hell that's ugly"

I was waiting outside the ten pin bowling at the time, hoping that our team (The Batcaves) would beat the league leaders (The Batmobiles)

We didn't, but I was right about Norco House.

Since then, I can't think of a single thing the cooncil, whatever denomination it is, has done to actually improve Aberdeen for its residents.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 09-10-2022 at 02:12 PM.

To Bavarian Don

The main difference being that Augsburg isn't in the UK so doesn't have to send the majority of its wealth to the South East of England.

We've got an extremely large and expensive royal family that has close German connections to pay for.
    If you fancy taking them over I can let you have them cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    While that is undoubtedly true, Aberdeen take it to a new level of stupidity.

I remember, as a ten year old, watching them lifting those massive concrete egg box sections onto what became Norco House and thinking
    " bloody hell that's ugly"

I was waiting outside the ten pin bowling at the time, hoping that our team (The Batcaves) would beat the league leaders (The Batmobiles)

We didn't, but I was right about Norco House.

Since then, I can't think of a single thing the cooncil, whatever denomination it is, has done to actually improve Aberdeen for its residents.
    I’m sure that others have opinions that differ, but there are very few ****s to be given by me.

I never liked Norco House either, although during its construction in 1969, my late younger brother and I did admire the excellence of the barriers on George Street’s temporary walkway as a facility on which to tie up our steeds in a huge ****-off game of cowboys and injuns.

I canna mind what Mounthooly was like before the roundabout, but have always felt negative about it since I was reprimanded by the bobbies for taking a short-cut across its unguarded building site in 1975. Its tunnels were fine in my cycling days, rather than trying to negotiate its peculiar, perilous lane system though.

I do remember pre mouthooly days.
    They knocked down a favourite shoppy of mine to build the f'uckin thing.

I knew a lassie who was knocked down and killed there ( no doubt while riding her bike)

A dangerous junction with dangerous crossings made spectacularly worse by removing the green mannies from their rightful place in an interesting attempt to reduce the population.

Thanks for your kind words Bavarian Don. I guess one difference between our teams and the level of attendance is that you get to watch teams like Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig etc whereas we get to watch Livingston, Ross County and St Johnstone!!

As a matter of interest how much does it cost to watch Augsburg as we are led to believe match prices in Germany are relatively low for one of the top leagues in Europe?

It’s quite surprising to me how well German matches are attended given the same team has won the league for the last ten years and although they haven’t had the best start will likely win it again this year (same problem we have in this country except with two teams)

Well done in beating Bayern this season and I think you also beat Leverkusen as well

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Flats in the square were pretty good to be fair but having to run through it when I was late for school was more enlightening than anything I learned once i had arrived.

But The Green?!

Don't get back much but thought it looked far better a few months ago. I think they waited until George Romero died to demolish the indoor market surely that was where he filmed most of his movies?

My grunny bade in Kintore Place and we weren't allowed over to play in Rosemount Square, even in the sixties.

I'm pretty sure I had some chums at school ( Skene Square) from there though.

Some really dodgy characters there now, you see them in the local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    Thanks for your kind words Bavarian Don. I guess one difference between our teams and the level of attendance is that you get to watch teams like Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig etc whereas we get to watch Livingston, Ross County and St Johnstone!!

As a matter of interest how much does it cost to watch Augsburg as we are led to believe match prices in Germany are relatively low for one of the top leagues in Europe?

It’s quite surprising to me how well German matches are attended given the same team has won the league for the last ten years and although they haven’t had the best start will likely win it again this year (same problem we have in this country except with two teams)

Well done in beating Bayern this season and I think you also beat Leverkusen as well
    Hi Red Zone,
    well, your club, which i know from the 1980th simply still is in my heart, i'm 54 now. They did beat Bayern and Hamburg which were really strong teams but Aberdeen was better that time! My dad was/is a Bayern supporter and i never have been one, and so i was oposition to him and hoped everybody who played FCB will win, and Aberdeen did. Have been to Pittodrie also, last time in 1996 and the mentioned game in Munich UEFA-Cup in 21.02.2008. Every week after Bundesliga and comming home from the stadium i serch for the result from Scotland and yesterday again after our 1:1 against Wolfsburg, the company club of VW with lots of money from the company, i just hit my hand to my head when i saw Aberdeens result against Dunde Utd.
    You are absolulety right, even Bayern this season maybe is not that dominating, it will be enough to win the league again, which is a big problem for such a big league like the Bundesliga. Apart from that the league nevertheless is very interesting and what we are very proud of in Germany, at least the absolutely majority of fans, is the fact, that no one can buy a club like in England and other countries, there is no rich arab from Quatar or a billionair from Russia who can buy a club, use it as his toy and has the say than, we still have the so called "50 + 1 rule" which safes the original club behind the profi-team and it's members always the majority of power and deciding important things. The other side of the medaille is, that for this reason there is not so unbelievable much money under way like in the English Premier League but we prefere our situation much more, Leipzig is a special thing that never should be allowed to happen, as it is no real club, it is just a marketing product of Red Bull, like all the others like Salzburg or the Munich Icehockeyteam etc.. We will wait and see how long the rule will hold, hopefully again for a long time...
    In Augsburg you are able to get a season ticket on an avarage place for a bit under 500 €, when you are club member for aprox. 400 €, a good one for arround 630 €, as a member arround 560 €. A standing season ticket in the fan curve, the "Ulrich Biesinger Tribüne" you can get for 199 , being a member for 174 €. Augsburg Football Club is one of the clubs with the tickets that are most valued for money. And aye, this season we did beat Leverkusen for the first time ever – good stuff! Main thing as usually to hold the class with not so much money.
    Hope this was what you were interested in and what you wanted to know.
    Greetings to bonnie Scotland.
    Last edited by Bavarian_Don; 09-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.

I've always liked Norco House, something different in the heart of the city, although I wouldn't have ripped out the heart of the city centre to build it, same applies to the shopping centres.
    We elect these goons of every political persuasion to act on our behalf and then they usually feck everything up afterwards. I used to work with a Labour councillor who was very open about the level of corruption going on and did very nicely out of the city and never gave a f uck about his decisions even when he knew they were wrong.
    It's difficult to link the poor performance of the club to the city, but it is certainly better when we are good and getting to finals gives the place a spark.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    To Bavarian Don

The main difference being that Augsburg isn't in the UK so doesn't have to send the majority of its wealth to the South East of England.

We've got an extremely large and expensive royal family that has close German connections to pay for.
    If you fancy taking them over I can let you have them cheap.
    No, no thank you for your offer.
    But i think that this family will not longer be your problem in Scotland if you hopefully soon do the right decision and be a country of your own and than back in the EU where of course not everything is perfect, too but i think far better than to be ruled by Lizzy from London or other strange figures....

Re Augsburg,

Two major differences.

1) Major clubs in Europe tend to be membership clubs rather than our company model.

2) Playing in the Bundesliga, Augsburg's tv revenue will be considerably larger than Aberdeens.

Also, apart from the twa cheeks, players in Scotland tend to be undervalued compared to the bigger leagues.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast