+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Back to reality

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It is of course absolutely fine to offer opinions, suggest starting XIs, criticise and even praise the manager, team, owners etc. As you suggest that's exactly what this message board should be AC. Playing 'pretend manager' is a fun part of being a fan.

There just needs to be touch more self awareness and perspective when doing so to say the leatlst. We do as fans have after all have the significant advantage of hindsight, are able to cherry pick when we criticise and when we stay quiet, and we naturally assume that the alternative choice would have yielded a different , more positive results, which we just don't know.

These are the things that some folk needed reminding of regularly, not that it is likely to change their approach on here.

We are of course all entitled to and should give our opinions, but we also should take a stand back and look approach and remember that we aren't professionals, we aren't qualified, our decisions as a pretend manager has no consequence. Our suggestions may have made no difference or even been worse than the ones selected by the man that matters.

This sensational season to date has shown that no matter how many wins, how many goals, how few league defeats (2) and a recording breaking number of points a section of the fanbase will still moan and actively seek to moan and highlight the negative, the mistakes, the could do better at every opportunity. Let's be honest if you can regularly moan this season you are going to moan every Notts season. This season was the perfect opportunity to have a holiday from being negative lol.

On the hot topic of squad rotation, tinkering, player tiredness, I wonder how many times LW has selected a team won the game, then changed that winning side for the next match and also won that? Back to back wins with different teams. I bet it's an impressive total.
    Bit of a delayed response, probably due to being busy rather than the time it took to read that

Fair points, but you're right it won't change anyone's approach.

Speaking for myself, but guessing other are the same, I might be 99% positive about the team/club, but if you watch a game and find something in that other 1% that interests you, and seems, to your way of thinking, to be a way the club could do even better, I won't hesitate to post about it and give that opinion (And I know some self-aware people who know themselves and know how others perceive them, they just don't care about that, it's none of anyone's business at the end of the day).

Personally, I think posters like Durham are stars of the board, willing to put themselves out there, his in-attendance/football-based opinions certainly make for readable copy.

The responses you'd like to see for posts like his are firstly, play the ball, not the man - say what u disagree with and why rather than just lazily trying to discredit the poster and secondly, to do that without taking this pathetic stance of 'don't say that' 'you can't say that' 'please stop writing that'. And remember these guys are the most loyal of supporters who are as desperate to see the club succeed as anyone, they're just posting what they find interesting.

Some good, some bad, some ugly in there AC

Personally I think it's good to have a "just don't care" attitude, too many take it too seriously for a internet message board. There is absolutely no doubt that Durhampie "puts himself out there", more than most and I applaud that it is certainly far more preferable than the 'sit on the sidelines' types who predict nothing, never board a bandwagon and every comment is retrospective with the advantage of good old hindsight.

Although in the aforementioned case 'self awarenesses' is notable by it's absence

Out of interest AC who says "don't say that' 'you can't say that' 'please stop writing that? I must have missed them.

I've seen lots and lots of people disagreeing with his Notts views, me included. Those posts and people aren't hard to find and some great examples recently in good football/Notts debate. All conducted without the personal nonsense and frankly guff that used to occur but now has thankfully appeared to have ceased on NCM. Which is great news.

All the above is just in my opinion, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Not sure it's that simple.

I've no doubt without Wrexham there would have been games where Notts would not have felt under anything like as much pressure to go for it and win at all costs rather than accept a draw, especially away.
    Could be that the owners wouldn't have felt so inclined to bring in or keep hold of some of our better players if Wrexham had gone up last season.
    Fans wouldn't have been so engaged with a one particular rivalry and the additional excitement and closing of ranks that creates, as well as the fall back when we drop points that we're up against a 'bigger' club which dampens down or keeps in check a lot of the negativity.

Without Wrexham, we may have still been top right now but the points gap between Notts and the other clubs behind us would have been much less.
    Hard to say but im going on the basis of what is fact we have 90+ points.

If we were clearly top which we would be imo then no there would not be much moaning.

I think LW goes for wins and I dont see that changing regardless of whether Wrexham are here or not.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112