+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Annual squad thread

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Centre back we already have IMO
    A rather short-sighted view. What if we have an injury and suspension at the back?

It's the one area of the squad that looks threadbare, as I'm sure the owners are aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A rather short-sighted view. What if we have an injury and suspension at the back?

It's the one area of the squad that looks threadbare, as I'm sure the owners are aware.
    I'd say we need one more defender, although I don't know how well Lucien Mahovo is progressing. If he's coming on in leaps and bounds behind the scenes then I'm all for giving the young players the chance to be an active part of the squad. It's too easy to give them the dreaded 'one for the future' label. If they're making good progress, then let them fill the gaps in the squad list, otherwise you're effectively saying there'll be no circumstance in which they'll play.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'd say we need one more defender, although I don't know how well Lucien Mahovo is progressing. If he's coming on in leaps and bounds behind the scenes then I'm all for giving the young players the chance to be an active part of the squad. It's too easy to give them the dreaded 'one for the future' label. If they're making good progress, then let them fill the gaps in the squad list, otherwise you're effectively saying there'll be no circumstance in which they'll play.
    agree, lets see if he gets some pre-season game time. Although LM's not the tallest cb if you don't count his hair

Debrah has not signed anywhere. We can live in hope

Debrah is being hotly pursued by a number of clubs. He's still under contract at Halifax so would seem they are probably holding out for an acceptable fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Debrah is being hotly pursued by a number of clubs. He's still under contract at Halifax so would seem they are probably holding out for an acceptable fee.
    That would be a very exciting prospect. Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

Mud pie’s post I was replying to said that our Centre Backs need upgrading which suggests that they are not good enough - I disagree!

I'd agree somewhat with Mudpie, if indeed that is what he's saying. I do feel the reduced time and space they will have may hurt us. It's a fair assumption that we won't enjoy as much possession as we did last season. I felt we strugled and conceded a lot of goals in the short time out of possession and many of our own making.
    I feel one very strong signing in this area could make such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Mud pie’s post I was replying to said that our Centre Backs need upgrading which suggests that they are not good enough - I disagree!
    I think most on here would agree that at times last season that our defence wasn't the best. That was in the National League, so with them all being one year older and now in a higher division it follows that we need some level of upgrade. All other areas of the team have been improved.
    We now have a squad of 19 players plus goalkeepers and under 21s, so that means we could have 3 more.
    With 7 subs allowed next season (will the subs' benches be big enough?) I assume he will have a goalkeeper and 6 others - meaning 16 outfield players each match. If we stick at the 19 that would only leave 3 as backups in case of injuries, suspensions or loss of form.

The Notts Board of Directors have improved the squad on a perpetual basis. This is such a contrast from the end of season mass clear outs, followed by a glut of signings as the season nears kick off, in the past.
    In the latter part of our promotion season, the quality additions of Bostock, Jones and Morais were added. In the close season Stone, McGoldrick, Crowley and Randell have come in. One more central defender wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'm happy if we kick off with the squad we have got.
    If Notts follow the same pattern, one or two more quality signings will be added as the season progresses and the loan market will be used to plug any unexpected gaps.
    The best recruitment policy in my time supporting the club!
    Last edited by ThaiPie; 03-07-2023 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast