+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 143 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1861

Thread: Official Jim Goodwin rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Gallagher signed. Official.
    Very impressed with this signing, offers hope that we might actually be putting together a squad that can get back up. Wiki says he's 6 foot 6,is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Very impressed with this signing, offers hope that we might actually be putting together a squad that can get back up. Wiki says he's 6 foot 6,is that right?
    He is certainly a big lad, not sure of official size! Would certainly seem like a good signing though. Experienced and an out and out defender. Squad is infinitely more balanced now too. Know some still doubt (hopefully in an Alan Hansen style) the impact the young lads will have. Personally I think they have got bags of talent and ability and we would struggle to improve on them. Genuinely enjoy watching them play.
    Only way I see us recruiting further is if one of them leaves permanently - would someone want to take a punt on Chalmers? or leaves on loan - McLeod maybe needs a season of playing regularly.

Another forward in would be ideal although I would not panic without it.

Quote Originally Posted by ianharab View Post
    Yea , just seen it , should prove to be a decent signing , quite happy with way goalie / defence looking still no convinced at top end tho
    Yeah. We are developing a spine of a team from goalkeeper, central defence into midfield. The thing is a fully fit Watt and Moult could cause havoc in this division and be a potent forward line with Watt playing off Moult but if either gets injured we are light on top. Cudjoe is raw and frustrating. There is a player in there. If he is coached correctly he can provide some much needed creativity, a goalscorer he isn't.

Anyway slightly more optimism this week without getting carried away. Looking forward to the opener now and if we think we have problems Arbroath are winless and bottom of their group.

Quote Originally Posted by ianharab View Post
    Could also with Gallagher and Graham with Grimshaw and Holt making up back four

True

Though McMann for me has been very decent so far and deserves his place at left back just now

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    True

Though McMann for me has been very decent so far and deserves his place at left back just now
    I agree. He's been our best player in the two home games I've seen.

McMann is a decent enough squad player for most teams in Scotland. Never going to be a world beater but in a solid enough team with a sprinkling of quality could be a standard premier League player. The step down in quality is letting him shine a bit more so hopefully that will be true for a few of the players.

As people are saying we are seeing the spine of a team now at least. Injuries could be a problem but every single team can say that at this level.

Biggest problem now is still a bit imbalanced up top. Middleton cannot play on the right as he is so one footed he always comes back on to his left. The problem being we are also light through the middle and you need really attacking runners if you are putting an inswinging ball. I think he sees that so doesn't even bother half the time. Net result it's pointless him playing there at all. We need someone who can get to the by line to allow our players time to get into the box.

In essence we have Watt, Fotheringham and Middleton better suited for the left. No one for the right. Cudjoe isn't the answer he has now played quite a bit of football with absolutely zero end product. I'd like one more attacking wide right player. Hopefully one the other young ones make it in the central area too.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan_of_arabia View Post
    McMann is a decent enough squad player for most teams in Scotland. Never going to be a world beater but in a solid enough team with a sprinkling of quality could be a standard premier League player. The step down in quality is letting him shine a bit more so hopefully that will be true for a few of the players.

As people are saying we are seeing the spine of a team now at least. Injuries could be a problem but every single team can say that at this level.

Biggest problem now is still a bit imbalanced up top. Middleton cannot play on the right as he is so one footed he always comes back on to his left. The problem being we are also light through the middle and you need really attacking runners if you are putting an inswinging ball. I think he sees that so doesn't even bother half the time. Net result it's pointless him playing there at all. We need someone who can get to the by line to allow our players time to get into the box.

In essence we have Watt, Fotheringham and Middleton better suited for the left. No one for the right. Cudjoe isn't the answer he has now played quite a bit of football with absolutely zero end product. I'd like one more attacking wide right player. Hopefully one the other young ones make it in the central area too.
    All our wingers are inverted even Watt is

McMann has been solid enough but we've played Spartans, Partick, Peterhead and Falkirk. I'm not letting the calibre of opposition fool me into thinking he's suddenly become a good player. Hopefully he's good enough for our jolly in the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    True

Yip... Apart from a few wee lapses in concentration (and who doesn't) he seems up for it. Maybe not having to play against top SPL players is helping the level he is at. Looks a wee bit fitter too, that might be down to JG demanding fit players. Only time will tell.

The Gallagher signing is a real plus but I wonder if JG is thinking an experienced creative mid completes the job for a real chance of winning the league at first time of asking. To me that's the missing piece now.
    He must be looking at the midfield youngsters and feeling a steady hand would bring more out of them. Couple more out the door maybe it could be possible.

Page 143 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)