+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A victim of our own success

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The only "success" most fans are bothered about is success on the pitch that derives from building and retaining a squad of gradually increasing quality season after season.

All I can see from the present leadership is a gradual reduction in squad quality caused by the ratcheting down of the leagues we are recruiting from, most as free agents.

But as long as it brings in income so the owners are not required to contribute then, "Rejoice! Go Well Barnsley !"

BBS Accountant Archerfield sums it up as follows---
    ST and Matchday Ticket income---£3milliom
    Merchandise/ Sponsorship/ Commercial income--£2million
    EFL Contribution to Third Division clubs (TV money)--£2 mill (as opposed to Championship £8.6 mill per club)
    Total Income £7million

Annual Running Costs (mainly playing and non-playing staff salaries) ---£13 million

Annual shortfall of £6 million to be made up with transfer trading surplus plus taking into account phasing of payments. No reserves in Account

So yes, lets rejoice at money coming in. Lets rejoice at players coming in being not as good reducing the overall squad quality. No one can really claim this coming years squad is stronger than last years or that they will be organised better--and the situation will probably get worse over the next two weeks.

#Spectemur Agendo
    Looking at the financial situation outlined above your comment that--

"In my book--selling players for decent money is a success and a huge part of building a stronger team.--as importantly the money made available at the club enables the club net to be spread wider."

We are recruiting free agents from non-league.

Position for position name one player coming in this summer that is clearly stronger than the one that has left.

They've truly drawn thee in hook, line and sinker Nudger.

We are in the THIRD FECKIN DIVISION.

We are IN BIG DEBT

We are signing too many NON LEAGUE PLAYERS

We appointed a head coach with NO EXPERIENCE of coaching/managing in English league football

Apologies to other posters for the capitals cos it's not my style but the purpose was to 'highlight the facts' that for some strange reason escape Nudgers attention

Good times ahead? I doubt it. That is of course unless we get lucky.

There's no basis whatsoever to suggest that our head coach is an improvement on Duff or the players that we've brought in this summer are an improvement on the ones who've departed. Time will tell but as I've said on other threads, I'd love to be proven wrong. However, as a betting man, and at this moment in time, I'd wager heavily on us not doing as well as last season.
    Last edited by pass_and_move; 14-08-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Well in the last 3 seasons we have finished …..
    5th in the Championship
    4th in the 1st Division
    Which means of course we won far more in those seasons than we lost.
    OK - we didn’t win the Champions League Cup - but in my view those two seasons were a great success.
    In between of course we had the Conway Season.
    But now he’s gone we should see building season on season.

As for losing players - if those players were going for next to nowt then I’d agree that that isn’t a success - but that’s not the case, we are starting to see the first signs of the club holding out for decent money for our players.

In my book - selling players for decent money is a success and a huge part of building a stronger team - as importantly the money then made available at the club enables the recruitment net to be spread wider.
    “Holding out for decent money….” “Money then made available” ………It isn’t happening
    Surely even you can see that….
    Nudge, the net we are casting is catching smaller fish…. The size of our nets are so small…only the little fish can get in.!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggydo View Post
    I don’t know where you get strongest squad in the league nudge? I still think we look like headless chickens in defence but that might alter when if the French lads ok and Okeeffe is fit. My main concern though is the strike force, I’ve seen nothing to suggest we can score enough goals to be serious contenders especially if Cole hit a bad patch.
    Whilst I have major concerns which are mainly around our defence I do not have any concerns about goal scoring with or without Cole , since the turn of the year we are the highest goal scorers of the whole efl which I read about last week but we did not & do not have a 20 goal a season man but what we do have is goals from all over the pitch , I am not sure which game it was towards the end of last season but we played a game where the whole of the outfield players on the day had been on the score sheet during the season , a fact that I had never known in the history of our club & this season I expect much more of the same, with goals coming from our wing backs, midfield , strikers & from our central defence , its stopping the goals that worries me , lol !!

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Well in the last 3 seasons we have finished …..
    5th in the Championship
    4th in the 1st Division
    Which means of course we won far more in those seasons than we lost.
    OK - we didn’t win the Champions League Cup - but in my view those two seasons were a great success.
    In between of course we had the Conway Season.
    But now he’s gone we should see building season on season.

As for losing players - if those players were going for next to nowt then I’d agree that that isn’t a success - but that’s not the case, we are starting to see the first signs of the club holding out for decent money for our players.

In my book - selling players for decent money is a success and a huge part of building a stronger team - as importantly the money then made available at the club enables the recruitment net to be spread wider.
    As SB's pointed out the club needs £13m pa to run the club and around £7m pa comes in .

So there's a £6m shortfall pa , the Styles and Andersen money would go towards making that shortfall up and the Kitching money would be used to service the debt , we still owe the EFL £3.5m on the covid loan we took out .

Take your time with this one YN , have a think about those figures and then tell me how the recruitment net will get wider .

Here's a clue , we are recruiting free agents from non league football because ........ ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    As SB's pointed out the club needs £13m pa to run the club and around £7m pa comes in .

So there's a £6m shortfall pa , the Styles and Andersen money would go towards making that shortfall up and the Kitching money would be used to service the debt , we still owe the EFL £3.5m on the covid loan we took out .

Take your time with this one YN , have a think about those figures and then tell me how the recruitment net will get wider .

Here's a clue , we are recruiting free agents from non league football because ........ ?
    Me Sir, Me Sir, Me Sir………….We don’t have a pot to p1ss in Sir!

September 1st might be a good time to return to this thread.
    Better still early October when players have had time to settle in.

Are Tykes allowed to spend the money coming in considering the pending ownership problems with the EFL?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyWhites View Post
    Are Tykes allowed to spend the money coming in considering the pending ownership problems with the EFL?
    We haven't got any money anyway , the EFL charges are irrelevant Whites .

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyWhites View Post
    Why , have we been found guilty, are we under some restrictions ? Until such times it is business as usual me thinks, if found guilty then obviously sanctions may or may not follow .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12