+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pandemic puppies

Pandemic puppies

Must be a slow news day as one of the current stories is around the number of dogs bought as puppies during the covid lockdown being brought into dog re-homing centres by owners who can't cope. Is this not old news now?

Owning a dog-or any animal-comes with responsibilities and must fit in with life styles. So many people got puppies with no eye to the future and obviously no or little research. Living where I do, which is a popular area with dog walkers, it has been clear that many took on dogs that should not have as they have both little control over them and scant regard for others and their dogs. This isn't breaking news though surely?

The report mentions also the age of the dogs now but, again, this is not news to anyone who has ever had a dog. When they get to between 2 1/2 -3 they are reaching their more troublesome ****age years and are more demanding but training and perseverance is all that is generally needed. Unfortunately, many owners don't have this and this is why the majority of dogs handed into re-homing centres are of this age group by owners who "cannot cope". This was just as true before lockdown as it is now.

This, coupled with the increasing incidents of dog attacks, really should lead to a rethink about dog ownership in this country. Some form of licencing perhaps-but it has to be one that is not overly expensive as the vast majority of owners are loving and responsible who already spend a small fortune on food and insurance as it is. Then again, I guess the fee also has to cover admin costs and, like anything else, no point bringing in legislation if it cannot be realistically enforced. Maybe we should just leave it as it is but be far firmer on prosecuting illegal/unscrupulous breeders and those whose dogs are deemed not under control? What do others think?

It’s tricky. I personally think that owners must bare the brunt of punishment. I own a beautiful Staffordshire bull terrier, he’s gorgeous and all the Staffy owners I’ve met over the last 13 years feel the same about their dog. There are owners though who beat staffies with sticks with nails in to make them aggressive (would work with me I can tell you!) and these are the type of thugs that need to be clamped down on. Owners every time. A dog is as good as it’s owner but constantly there are certain groups calling for specific breeds to be put down. Dogs deserve good owners.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    It’s tricky. I personally think that owners must bare the brunt of punishment. I own a beautiful Staffordshire bull terrier, he’s gorgeous and all the Staffy owners I’ve met over the last 13 years feel the same about their dog. There are owners though who beat staffies with sticks with nails in to make them aggressive (would work with me I can tell you!) and these are the type of thugs that need to be clamped down on. Owners every time. A dog is as good as it’s owner but constantly there are certain groups calling for specific breeds to be put down. Dogs deserve good owners.

Totally agree Boingy! For me if an owner beats their dog with sticks with nails the punishment should meet the crime! If I saw someone doing this then I would want to do the same to them! Killing a dog or cat should be 5 years minimum!

I know its O/T but I bought a flippin lockdown exercise bike which is now gathering dust in the spare bedroom.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)