+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 79 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

Apparently the person who held the post of PM for the shortest time in history (AKA Thick Liz) is backing Trump in the US election saying there needs to be a conservative (small c) administration to fight repressive regimes such as Russia etc.

This begs several questions.

1. Does she actually know what Trump's view on Ukraine is (he has said he wants to stop US military aid)
    2. Does she understand US Politics? (The Democrats are compared to the UK a conservative party!)
    3. WTF goes on in that head of hers?

Been advised, by a reliable and usually knowledgeable and responsible source, that the main players/investigators in the ongoing Covid enquiry (eg Hugo Keith etc) are likely to be charging/receiving up to £1000 per hour (!!!) for performing their roles.

Seems insane to me, especially seeing as all we seem to be discovering is - as we already suspected - that the politicians concerned are a bunch of lying ba*tards only interested in covering their own backs.

Can it possibly be true?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Been advised, by a reliable and usually knowledgeable and responsible source, that the main players/investigators in the ongoing Covid enquiry (eg Hugo Keith etc) are likely to be charging/receiving up to £1000 per hour (!!!) for performing their roles.

Seems insane to me, especially seeing as all we seem to be discovering is - as we already suspected - that the politicians concerned are a bunch of lying ba*tards only interested in covering their own backs.

Can it possibly be true?
    Not sure what you’re objecting to here rA, the hourly rate only (which I think is industry standard albeit obscene) or the fact it’s being expended asking questions of politicians?

I hope the politicians are under oath.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not sure what you’re objecting to here rA, the hourly rate only (which I think is industry standard albeit obscene) or the fact it’s being expended asking questions of politicians?
    More of a query - ‘can it possibly be true?’ - than an ‘objection’, AF. Now that you’ve suggested that this is an ‘industry standard’ however I’d be surprised if the vast majority don’t object to such obscenity.

I’m probably being naive about such matters, but I’m assuming the taxpayer is picking up this burden and have to ask...how can such fees possibly be justified especially in circumstances such as these?

If people want inquiries and answers, that's the cost. It's justified if there is a demand for the service.
    To amend your question a little less articulately: do we want to spend our money on these things? If the answer is yes, then it's justified.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    More of a query - ‘can it possibly be true?’ - than an ‘objection’, AF. Now that you’ve suggested that this is an ‘industry standard’ however I’d be surprised if the vast majority don’t object to such obscenity.

I’m probably being naive about such matters, but I’m assuming the taxpayer is picking up this burden and have to ask...how can such fees possibly be justified especially in circumstances such as these?
    I’ve just looked at the charge rates for a bit of legal work I’m involved in. It’s a fixed price job thank God, but rates for any ‘extra work’ could attract a fee of up to £750 per hour, and that excludes some of the partners in the LLP who may well charge more. One could argue that those rates are out of proportion to their value to society but they are pretty typical - as a KC, maybe old Hugo is actually providing his services at a discount!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I’ve just looked at the charge rates for a bit of legal work I’m involved in. It’s a fixed price job thank God, but rates for any ‘extra work’ could attract a fee of up to £750 per hour, and that excludes some of the partners in the LLP who may well charge more. One could argue that those rates are out of proportion to their value to society but they are pretty typical - as a KC, maybe old Hugo is actually providing his services at a discount!
    AF, at those prices I'd want him to bring the sunshine band as well

I’m genuinely puzzled by AF’s and RS’s responses.
    Not looking for any sort of fight at all...but really...what is the skill set we’re paying £1000 per HOUR for!?
    Surely this is an investigation caused by doubts about the way already well paid politicians (those at the top) may already have screwed up.
    I don’t want us/society to have to pay again to uncover this web of lies and deceit.
    RS...you say the money is justified ‘if we want to spend our money on these things’. Personally I don’t...we shouldn’t need to. I want to spend our money on decent roads, schools, hospitals and care homes etc etc...but I don’t see any road builders, teachers, nurses, care staff or even doctors being paid even a fraction of £1k per hour!
    It’s absurd isn’t it?

No fighting from me, I'm agreed with you on a principle level on all your points, only differing in accepting that that's the going rate for the service, though if you're looking for a fight I could resort and call you a Commie (I'm joking of course).
    I get more irritated by people who get paid the going rate, in any trade, not being competent. I'm sure we can all think of a colleague past / present, who you wonder how the hell they got their job. A previous manager of mine a prime example, knew sweet FA, but was a good blagger. Does a job for 18 months, then moves on, by the time people realise how useless they are, it's too late! Our politicians are masters at this!

Page 79 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)