+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT Sunday Dinner

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Interesting that Brin, Sunday lunch is a firm favourite at our house - always has been and always will be - but we have this debate regularly; should you have Yorkshire puds on the same plate as the roast etc.....or as a separate starter?

Our lass' family are "starters", but I was brought up to have puds on the same plate as the roast etc.

Needless to say, we always have Yorkshire pud and gravy for starters
    Redshank, it always has to be Yorkshires first….. you never know how many you want and if you have an extra one, you can’t fit the rest of your dinner on your plate 😉

It's beef dripping for Yorkshires.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Redshank, it always has to be Yorkshires first….. you never know how many you want and if you have an extra one, you can’t fit the rest of your dinner on your plate 😉
    I agree Brin, I am a convert for all the reasons you give. It still feels quite radical though

Mum was from Sheffield so maybe the "all on one plate" serve up is more of a dee dar thing

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    I agree Brin, I am a convert for all the reasons you give. It still feels quite radical though

Mum was from Sheffield so maybe the "all on one plate" serve up is more of a dee dar thing
    Funnily enough there used to be a similar question in our house

"Separate or all together ?"
    I used to mix it up and vary.

The one difference was, that it was pancakes not Yorkshire's, cos my mum could never get them right, so gave up 😆

I've no idea where the initial thing came from though.
    Whether it was mum or dad's side or just their own little quirk.
    They were both from Rotherham but a mixed bag for their parents
    Lincolnshire and Hampshire for my dad's mum and dad respectively
    Rotherham and Birmingham for my mum.

We used to start with Yorkshires and have strawberry jam on them when I was growing up.
    Then have one or two with the main but hold the jam

I made an Indian spiced Shepard's Pie a couple of Sundays ago and made these Yorkies to go alongside them

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...shire-puddings

Our lass is well awkward, she saves her Yorkshires till last.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Our lass is well awkward, she saves her Yorkshires till last.
    Wot, like a...pudding?

It was Yorkshire's as a starter when I was a kid. Anyway,I very rarely have them now but if I do it's always in the evening.Although I enjoyed them as a kid it was the only thing I knew but it's one tradition,in my opinion,that I'am glad to see the back of. There has to be more to life than revolving 1 7th of the week around a slab of meat! I remember steamed up windows,loads of pots and feeling like I was about to give birth every Sunday at around three in the afternoon! No wonder everyone used to collapse on the sofa and hope they'd recover in time to sit through Bullseye! There always seemed to be such a functionality about the whole event and it seemed to born be out of obligation rather than enjoyment.My Grandparents,being a generation further back,summed this up perfectly with their ''lets get dinner out of the way'' attitude by on more than one occasion sitting down at 11.30AM to tuck in! Does anyone know of anyone who beat that record?
    Last edited by Jimmy Badfellow; 13-12-2023 at 12:54 PM.

For us it's a chance to get the family around the table, all eating the same meal for a change. They don't need asking twice to come over.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast