+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bumble...

Hiya Chalky, yes I think it's a wonderful shot, very natural and very moving when you think of their habitat disappearing so quickly.

We have had a bit of a disaster with the red squirrels, one of local populations was wiped out in the space of a week due to contact with greys. Estimated around a dozen gone. However one has been spotted since. No one knows if it hasn't had contact or if it is one of the very rare ones who seem to have some immunity to squirrel pox. Either way, it seems the reds will be gone in the next few years.

That’s awful news bumble,I’ve often wondered how it’s managed to keep the two sets of squirrels apart,I mean what’s stopped the greys from migrating north over the centuries?

Are the squirrels clumped into family’s then in Cumbria (genuine question) and spread out over a large area and I’m taking it that Les Dawson has probably gone then?

The polar bear photograph was a great bit of photography and best of all you didn’t debunk it 😊

When I was young you never saw greys around here, now they are around. There are notices around the woods telling you to ring if you see a grey and they are then trapped or shot but eventually the greys will take over. In the highlands of Scotland they stand a chance but not in Cumbria (just my feelings that they won't survive).

Les Dawson came from the group in the wood, just down the road from me. There are still a few around but not as many as there was a couple of years ago. They spread out through the woods and the younger ones get driven off to find there own territory.

That’s sad news bumble and based on your post I’m gonna give it another go this year,to see them in England would be fantastic but a visit over the border might be the only option I fear and one day they will disappear for good so I’m going to make the effort

Quote Originally Posted by chaincey.ncfc View Post
    That’s sad news bumble and based on your post I’m gonna give it another go this year,to see them in England would be fantastic but a visit over the border might be the only option I fear and one day they will disappear for good so I’m going to make the effort
    Should I tell Yoonited to get your bed ready?

I think that I would be to nervous to get any sleep tbh howoldboy especially if he has access to marrows

I reported greys near Moota and was willing to put traps out but apart from an email from a warden I heard no more about it.

Chalky, it’s your duty to carry a gun and shoot any grey tree-rats you see. And if you hear kids saying how cute they are give then a clip round the ear.

I couldn’t hurt any animal griff no matter what it was,even if Fluffy the turtle was having a go at my leg whilst I had a paddle in the river I would try my best to get it off without injury,I could never shoot an animal just because it had wandered too far up north

How would your traps (which I would be hugely against) catch grey squirrels but ignore red ones?

They’re analogue traps; still work in black and white rather than colour.

The traps don't distinguish, the door shuts and the squirrel is trapped but there is food and water inside (which is why they go in there) and they are checked twice a day. It is not unknown for a red squirrel to be a regular and call every day, which rather defeats the objective

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)