+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targets and Tactics - 24/25

Targets and Tactics - 24/25

So it appears we are in for a decent if not total rebuild. We shall see.

I think it's fair to say Evo is a more central minded manager. He's gone with 3-4-1-2 a lot this season and 3-4-3 in more aggressive games. He also used Tavs, Pringle and one or two others to add some wingplay to what was others wise a very middle 50% of the pitch style of play. I don't mind that.

Theres a fair few players in League One at lower level clubs that look like they could be worth having a proper, proper look at. They'd likely suit how I suspect will setup. I've seen a fair few league one games at Barnsley and others this season so based on what I've seen and the stats I've posted a few names here.

BACK : 3/4 needed.

It's obvious to me we need at least two new CBs with Hall, possibly Morrison on their way out.
    I suspect Cohen will survive with us another season but Id imagine we would need LB/LWB player too. We certainly need a RB/RWB in.

MIDDLE : 4 Needed

Cafu is leaving. Teihi is rumoured to be requesting to leave. That leaves us short in the middle and we desperately need a Barlaser type passer and someone akin to Frecks who can bomb forward. I would've imagined Rathbone will be going - Derby most likely. Ferguson might also be leaving.

FORRUDS: 2 Needed

Hugill should be released (suspect hell stay though)
    Eaves will probably go.
    Nombe will be staying on.
    Kayode needs to go for his own sake.

That means we need a target man and someone quite pacey who can drift wide akin to Agard.

TARGETS:

So, who's out there that I've watched and liked, and who's stats look good and would be affordable?

KEEPER:

Just sign Vickers. Viktor will be off to Derby, Blades, Wednesday take your pick.

BACK:

Not a clue. I've not seen anyone that's stood out to me.

MIDDLE:

Ethan Chislett (Vale)

Seen him three times and impressed each time. Get him signed. Good assists and has scored a fair few all in a relegated team. Can pass and can switch. Tracks back a little to help out. Won't want to be in League Two now they are down. Number one target if you ask me.

Lasse Sørensen (Imps)

Seen twice and I think against us. Can play on either wing and either wing back. Can cross better than what we have and can be versatile up and down the wings and tuck back to soak up pressure. Ideal signing for Warney's style but would do well with us I suspect. Good solid assists and can hit screamers.

Cameron Brannagan (Oxford)

Talisman for Oxford. Gets forward and stuck in. Very much attack minded. Would be a Frecks type for us and might fancy something other than League One. Has apparently told the manager he wants a fresh start.

UP FRONT:

Jamie Reed (Stevenage)

I don't think he'd be a long term solution but Evo knows him and he's been banging them in. Combined with Nombe and a battling type striker that's a good set of scoring ability for a promotion push.

I'd snap Rodak up quick.
    He's out of contract this summer and would be an Ideal replacement for Viktor.
    He also had a great connection with the club and fans.
    He should be our priority signing.

Rodak was outstanding for us and I didn't realise he was available. Would be a no brainier.

If Rodak signs for us in League One then he’ll be wondering what the hell has gone wrong with career. He’ll have much better options at a higher level, not a chance will we sign him in my opinion.

As for Vickers, Good keeper but can’t be relied upon to be number one over a full season. His injury record is terrible and we don’t need any of that again after our problems this season. Leave him at Derby.

Cameron Dawson will probably be getting released by Wednesday. I don’t rate him but I’m afraid that’s more the kind of market we’ll be shopping in.

Our recruitment team dropped a large bo**ock not persuing a player we had on loan,
    the player Rarmani Edmonds-Green, we had him on loan from Huddersfield Town, he
    made 28 appearances for the Millers, scoring 3 goals, 2020-21

I mentioned signing the player a bit since, but a fellow madster said no chance of him
    leaving Huddersfield Town, where Neil Warnock was in charge.

But Warnock did let him go, with the 25 year-old player now at Charlton Athletic on a
    2.5 year contract.

After the Millers loan spell, the season after Edmonds-Green went to Wigan Athletic,
    making 4 appearances, between September 20022 & January 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    But Warnock did let him go, with the 25 year-old player now at Charlton Athletic on a
    2.5 year contract.
    It was Darren Moore who let him go, not Warnock. Moore got sacked a week later.

I agree that he’d have been a great signing for us, he got better and better as his loan spell went on. Just because we didn't sign him doesn't mean that the recruitment team didn't pursue him. He’s a South London lad though so that might have been why Charlton was an attractive move.
    Last edited by Masbroughstreet; 03-05-2024 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks Masbrough for affirming who let him go, it was said before that he was
    a London lad & could appeal to him, we shall never know.

Thing was Moore got sack 10 days after selling Rarmani Edmonds-Green to
    Charlton Athletic.
    Last edited by Ericsladkilnhurst; 03-05-2024 at 05:15 PM.

Recruitment from Scotland? Sometimes it works, sometimes not
    As reported in the press and on here, RS has been watching some games in the Netherlands.
    Prem loans in the mould of Izzy Brown and Grant Ward?
    I’d be a bit concerned if we signed any players released from the cship; that,s not really worked out has it. Need players aspiring to better themselves, not their bank accounts
    Can’t name any specific players lower than cship as I haven’t seen the those leagues recently
    Interesting thread though

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Recruitment from Scotland? Sometimes it works, sometimes not
    As reported in the press and on here, RS has been watching some games in the Netherlands.
    Prem loans in the mould of Izzy Brown and Grant Ward?
    I’d be a bit concerned if we signed any players released from the cship; that,s not really worked out has it. Need players aspiring to better themselves, not their bank accounts
    Can’t name any specific players lower than cship as I haven’t seen the those leagues recently
    Interesting thread though
    Recruitment from Scotland -

Worked with Hakeem Odoffin - Signed from Hamilton Academicals in 2021 by the Millers.

He was at Livingston prior to signing for Hamilton Academicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Recruitment from Scotland -

Worked with Hakeem Odoffin - Signed from Hamilton Academicals in 2021 by the Millers.

He was at Livingston prior to signing for Hamilton Academicals.
    Aye laddie
    Jamie Lindsay prior to this season maybe classed as a success
    Will Vaulks brought us a huge transfer fee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast