+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Yep, agree with all of that, Jammy. Hopefully we add a bit of competition, too. We've only got 2 strikers and you could almost guarantee that they'll both be injured at the same time at some point next season.
    I believe (here I go again) Sesko has a £35m release clause & Ekiteke, who Howe still very much likes is on the market for £14m.

That's 2 players with great potential for under £50m he says rubbing his hands like Delboy daan the market next to his open suit case.

You reckon we'll go back for Ekiteke?

I heard he was off to Frankfurt - they were using the clause they have as part of the loan deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    You reckon we'll go back for Ekiteke?

I heard he was off to Frankfurt - they were using the clause they have as part of the loan deal.
    Ah yeah, I keep forgetting that they have an option to buy after the loan. Scratch that.

We'll I'm sure there are other hidden gems out there like Yak Minteh. No one saw that one coming and the young lad has blown up the Eredivisie winning the Dutch cup and also guiding Feyenoord, to a 2nd place finish.

It'd be sweet to see the scouting team pull another magic rabbit out the hat.

Put it this way if Wilson was sold to one of our rivals and playing against us, I would be very uneasy.
    He’s a player that’s hard to find and, therefore, would be very expensive to replace. I know his injury record isn’t good but I would be very sad to see a natural and physically strong goal scorer leave the club.
    Keep Isak and Wilson and get a younger understudy striker to cover and for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Put it this way if Wilson was sold to one of our rivals and playing against us, I would be very uneasy.
    He’s a player that’s hard to find and, therefore, would be very expensive to replace. I know his injury record isn’t good but I would be very sad to see a natural and physically strong goal scorer leave the club.
    Keep Isak and Wilson and get a younger understudy striker to cover and for the future.
    A goal scorer at prem level is always hard to find. Rare as hens teeth for sure. However to says his injury record isn't good is a real soft peddle. he's been unavailable for 30% of matches over the last 2 seasons. that's 11.4 matches he misses per season.

If we bring in a 3rd, a top quality youngster, 19-21 yrs old with World Class potential and we can keep Wilson happy in the squad. I'm 100% on board. However, to rely on Wilson without a 3rd striker in would be a massive concern.

Anything happens to Isak and we then have to play Wilson 2 or 3 times a week isnt' sustainable as we've seen based on the evidence of this season.

The Strikers put the ball in the back of the net so the cost the big big money. However, the also represent the biggest merchandise revenue stream as fans buy shirts with their names on the back, also, they are the players Sponsors slap on their promotional material. So the investment in a player with a World Class ceiling would pay for itself over the duration of the players contract.

Messi & CR7 are both the pinnacle of cost/benefit when signing them in their later years. Man U made 10s of millions from fans buying that seasons shirt with Ronaldo's name on it.

Summing up my ramble. Wilson is a great player when fit. As part of a 3 man competition for starting line up in the centre foward birth I'd be buzzing, knowing we can bring him on at 65-70 mins to hold the ball up and score late goals.

If we get an offer of £15-20m from abroad and he went. I'd send him on his way with a round of applause as NUFC's Prem 2nd highest all time striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    A goal scorer at prem level is always hard to find. Rare as hens teeth for sure. However to says his injury record isn't good is a real soft peddle. he's been unavailable for 30% of matches over the last 2 seasons. that's 11.4 matches he misses per season.

If we bring in a 3rd, a top quality youngster, 19-21 yrs old with World Class potential and we can keep Wilson happy in the squad. I'm 100% on board. However, to rely on Wilson without a 3rd striker in would be a massive concern.

Anything happens to Isak and we then have to play Wilson 2 or 3 times a week isnt' sustainable as we've seen based on the evidence of this season.

The Strikers put the ball in the back of the net so the cost the big big money. However, the also represent the biggest merchandise revenue stream as fans buy shirts with their names on the back, also, they are the players Sponsors slap on their promotional material. So the investment in a player with a World Class ceiling would pay for itself over the duration of the players contract.

Messi & CR7 are both the pinnacle of cost/benefit when signing them in their later years. Man U made 10s of millions from fans buying that seasons shirt with Ronaldo's name on it.

Summing up my ramble. Wilson is a great player when fit. As part of a 3 man competition for starting line up in the centre foward birth I'd be buzzing, knowing we can bring him on at 65-70 mins to hold the ball up and score late goals.

If we get an offer of £15-20m from abroad and he went. I'd send him on his way with a round of applause as NUFC's Prem 2nd highest all time striker.
    Eddie Howe knows where he stands. “Of course I want him at the club next season. I will do everything I can to make that happen,” said Howe.

Wilson said outside the team bus at Turf Moor: “The future? Finish the next four games. My first thought is finish the season strong and then try to get myself into the tournament in the summer, and then, I am contracted to Newcastle still so will be back in pre-season." Asked if there was an element of doubt, he replied: “Nah, nah, I guess, say what you want to say. Yeah
    He said: “Of course it is on my mind. I have to be playing at Newcastle and the rest takes care of itself. I heard after the game Gareth Southgate was here, and obviously watching as many English players as he can. All you can do is perform when you are given an opportunity.

“Most players have played 50-60 games and to my disappointment I haven’t but that can only benefit me going into the summer if I get in the squad, fantastic. If not, I will continue my fitness work anyway and won’t waste what I have been working on.

“I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my eye on the last four games and trying to make an impression. That is all you can do. There are players who have had fantastic seasons this year who are English and strikers. It gives the manager an extra dilemma and person to choose from. I got an assist in the World Cup. Representing your country is what dreams are made of and it is the pinnacle. I think, yeah, realistically it is my last major tournament. I will be 34 for the next one. Who knows, it is fantastic to represent your country.”

I like Wilson but I can't deal with his unreliability - he is too expensive a luxury. Bring in Minteh and Wilson sell for what we can get or he can stay for the year to help develop the lad. Enough is enough.

It's pretty simple for me. Keep Wilson as a wait in the wings striker, as the game changer mostly.
    I think it's a benefit all round.
    A bit of a sick note at times but a definite game changer and also a feel good factor player.

1 in 2 Striker but doesn't play enough, 9 goals this season (prem)

I agree with toptoon and Magzer. Wilson is a natural goalscorer. We have to box clever with FFP and selling a proven goalscorer for peanuts - who is going to pay big money for somebody the wrong side of 30 and with his injury record? - would be senseless and extremely costly. A promising young striker with potential to become great is the way to go. Ekitike was ‘Plan A’ until PSG spoiled things for us, and for Ekitike in hindsight, as these mega rich clubs do all too often. Something similar is the way to go for me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)