+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nature/Fury!

Nature/Fury!

You have to admire nature. If she don't agree with planning permission, she don't agree..
    Now you see it now you don't.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68964597

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    You have to admire nature. If she don't agree with planning permission, she don't agree..
    Yep, Mother Nature can be pretty impressive. Report said that there were dozens of workers inside the building at the time, all of whom luckily survived but must have been pretty scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    When I was in my late t e e n s a chap down our street who was about four houses down from us on the opposite side was building a two story extension to his house.

It was around 1980 so I’m not sure what building regs and planning was like in those days, pretty loose I’d guess?

Anyway, we’d had a lot of overnight rain and early on the Saturday morning there was a sound like thunder in the street, we were amazed to look out and see the whole extension had collapsed and had engulfed the next door neighbour’s driveway in a few feet of rubble.

I remember me, my younger brother and my dad helping Colin the neighbour to clear the mess from that driveway and add it to the pile on his own side.

The whole thing was almost a huge calamity but thankfully nobody was hurt.

The neighbour is now dead but his missus is still friends with my mum so I’m going to ask her for the full inside story on the aftermath because I can’t recall ever being told.

The wet weather we are now experiencing certainly makes ground more unstable.

Some things never change and there will always be someone trying to cut corners on buildings. A few years ago some one built a house at the end of our road where we used to live into an embankment. The frontage was two stories high but, as it was built into a slope, the rear was one. Others who had done similar had spent a small fortune in ensuring proper foundations and drainage as they were effectively building into a slope made up of sand as much as soil. This guy didn't bother and whilst the building itself looked ok, because he hadn't provided adequate drainage-something all the locals were concerned about from the beginning-when it rained it caused a landslide which damaged the neighbouring Victorian era set of steps and adjacent Napoleonic water pump. Everything spilled down into our road and it was the neighbours and ourselves who did all the clearing up.

It made the local news but took ages for the steps to be repaired as he argued it was an "act of nature" and that nothing he had done had caused this collapse! Lots of questions also around the council failing to properly inspect progression of the building work as you didn't need to be a surveyor to see the blindingly obvious problem with it but whether it was corruption, incompetence or a combination of both I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    When I was in my late t e e n s a chap down our street who was about four houses down from us on the opposite side was building a two story extension to his house.

It was around 1980 so I’m not sure what building regs and planning was like in those days, pretty loose I’d guess?

Anyway, we’d had a lot of overnight rain and early on the Saturday morning there was a sound like thunder in the street, we were amazed to look out and see the whole extension had collapsed and had engulfed the next door neighbour’s driveway in a few feet of rubble.

I remember me, my younger brother and my dad helping Colin the neighbour to clear the mess from that driveway and add it to the pile on his own side.

The whole thing was almost a huge calamity but thankfully nobody was hurt.

The neighbour is now dead but his missus is still friends with my mum so I’m going to ask her for the full inside story on the aftermath because I can’t recall ever being told.

The wet weather we are now experiencing certainly makes ground more unstable.
    I work with a few Brazillians in my work place, so was talking about the heavy rain and flooding over there very recently. All of them said it is on a scale the likes of which even their grandparents have not seen. One area they spoke about I think in the east of Brazil, has had a dry river bed dor over 500 years. It is jusst a snaking winding route that was turned into a road system some time ago.
    Pretty much over night the river came back and the road system is gone. It was that quick.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)