+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I would expect that the average home user just needs a browser, email program (unless using googlemail), and a photo/video app. This is where I spend 80% of my time. Win7 would still do that except standard browers and email software will no longer run, as neither readily to my old faithful MSDOS programs.
    Well maybe. Gaming on Linux still mostly sucks, even if it has come a long way. And Libre Office is impressive but just not as good as MS Office for many things, and going back and forward between MS Office at work and Libre Office at home is painful.

The "live" part of live, work, play is very good on Linux (covering the browser, email, media playback etc.) but I've always found the "work" and "play" part too far behind Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    My 'puter says "This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11". So what do I do? Buy a new computer?
    This may help: https://www.howtogeek.com/759925/how...nsupported-pc/

My PC meets all the criteria, but the MS list of supported machines is apparently a bit hit/miss. Because I like to keep my PC and laptop on the same OS, I've stuck with Win 10 because one of my machines isn't on the Win 11 list. I upgraded my wife's PC to Win 11 for her and she, not being a 'power-user', finds it OK. Having had a good look at it myself, I definitely agree with earlier posters who don't rate it. There's a lot missing, and a lot of the changes are just change for change's sake.

Been running Win 11 since it came out and have had zero problems with it. I guess we all have different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    Well maybe. Gaming on Linux still mostly sucks, even if it has come a long way. And Libre Office is impressive but just not as good as MS Office for many things, and going back and forward between MS Office at work and Libre Office at home is painful.

The "live" part of live, work, play is very good on Linux (covering the browser, email, media playback etc.) but I've always found the "work" and "play" part too far behind Windows.
    I'm retired so far too busy for gaming, my limit being WebSudoku.

Since I only have a 2002 work edition of MS Office then Libre Office is fine for me and I seem to oscillate between the two because of the amount of old files that I have. Though Libre Office does have its quirks and is not quite as intuitive.

The main thing I'd lose as far as I can recall is the use of Canon's RAW processing camera software which suits my purposes quite well. I'm not sure how well it would run under a VM on Linux and haven't the patience* to do a new install and try it out.

*How come now I have "time" on my hands am I always running out of patience? Anyone else? Minded to change my name to Victor.

Genuine question: why do people still use MS Office or other word-processing software when Google Docs exists?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Genuine question: why do people still use MS Office or other word-processing software when Google Docs exists?
    Where are Google Docs files filed?

Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012

Just to say thanks to you all,
    I will stick to 10 as long as poss.
    Thanks also for Tommy Lawton file saw him play standing on Spion kop perched on flood light stand don't remember anything about who we played though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    My 'puter says "This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11". So what do I do? Buy a new computer?
    Not necessarily - Windows 10 is supported by Microfarce until October 2025 and after that they're allegedly going to offer paid for support to home users for the first time because of the number of people still using it. No pricing published yet though. You don't have to pay though and just keep using it but you wouldn't receive any fixes/security patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Time to setup a Linux club (on which Mac OS is based). Free, will do 90%-100% of what the average user* wants out of the box, automatic free updates, lots of choice of free software, extends the life of old and slow (under Windows) machines. Unfortunately not sold at your local PC stores (because it's free, no profit in it).
    My W10 desktop got stuck in a blue screen of death cycle after an update fail which wouldn't revert/couldn't restore. Was about to skip it but then as a last resort loaded it with Linux Mint and it's like a brand new PC without all the bloat MS load their OS with. Perfect like you say for average use.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsPie View Post
    Not necessarily - Windows 10 is supported by Microfarce until October 2025 and after that they're allegedly going to offer paid for support to home users for the first time because of the number of people still using it. No pricing published yet though. You don't have to pay though and just keep using it but you wouldn't receive any fixes/security patches.
    I feel reluctant to “upgrade” to Windows 11 only then to find out that there will be a Windows 12.
    I suppose it is inevitable though. Reliability and security are important, so I suppose I will have to grasp the nettle at some point.
    What would be the reasonable minimum requirements for a new set up that would see me through the foreseeable future?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast