+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rest in Peace, Bobby Tait

Rest in Peace, Bobby Tait

Sad to read of the passing of ex-Notts player, Bobby Tait who died in the past few days at 85. Bobby was a clever inside left who had spells at Notts, Barrow and Chesterfield amongst others. He played around 60 games for the Magpies around the 1962-1964 period. I watched Bobby play many times after that time for Arnold FC in the latter days of his career and he was still a fine player.

Bobby, originally from Craigentinny in Edinburgh, was heavily involved with the Notts ex-player association in recent years and always savoured his days in black and white stripes. As well as a fine footballer he was a lovely, friendly man with a word for everyone. Towards the end of his playing days he opened a sports shop on Front Street in Arnold, later becoming a publican at The Flying Horse on High Street in the town. Still attending Notts games until fairly recent times, I'd sometimes see him make his way out of the Pavis Stand after the game.

One of life's gentlemen, he will be missed, God bless, Bobby.

https://www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/arnold-news/arnold-care-home-arrange-for-84-year-old-ex-footballer-to-get-vip-treatment-at-meadow-lane/

Quote Originally Posted by Masson4 View Post
    Sad to read of the passing of ex-Notts player, Bobby Tait who died in the past few days at 85. Bobby was a clever inside left who had spells at Notts, Barrow and Chesterfield amongst others. He played around 60 games for the Magpies around the 1962-1964 period. I watched Bobby play many times after that time for Arnold FC in the latter days of his career and he was still a fine player.

Bobby, originally from Craigentinny in Edinburgh, was heavily involved with the Notts ex-player association in recent years and always savoured his days in black and white stripes. As well as a fine footballer he was a lovely, friendly man with a word for everyone. Towards the end of his playing days he opened a sports shop on Front Street in Arnold, later becoming a publican at The Flying Horse on High Street in the town. Still attending Notts games until fairly recent times, I'd sometimes see him make his way out of the Pavis Stand after the game.

One of life's gentlemen, he will be missed, God bless, Bobby.

https://www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/ar...t-meadow-lane/

A sad day when one of ours go. It was before my time watching Notts in 1969. Rest in peace Bobby, you were one of us.

Sad news indeed,Bob was a very nice guy,always happy to reminisce of his time at Notts, a real gentleman.
    We spoke with Bob in Debenham's restaurant before lockdown and my young grandson was amazed to meet an "old" Notts County footballer.
    I first saw BT play in September 1962 v Barnsley and his skills earned him some rough treatment from the Tykes defenders. Bob wore the No 11 shirt with Notts winning 2-0 with goals from Ralph Brown and a Big Tone penalty.
    Later in the season he wore the No 10 shirt which was also his regular shirt at Barrow. Fondly remembered on the Barrow Fans Forum.
    If I remember correctly Bob married an Eastwood girl.
    Thanks for the memories Bob.

85, which is a decent innings. A regular in one of the better 1960s seasons (7th in 1962/63) in the same side as Astle and Hateley. He also sat alongside Colin Slater as one of Radio Nottingham's earliest regular co-commentators (along with Mick Vinter) around the year 2000 before Dean Yates settled into the role.

RIP Bobby

I remember him well good player in a decent side RIP Bobby.

I never met him or even knew of him but he sounded like a diamond chap.

I recall the man as being a tidy player and he came into a side that should have been going up but instead lost its way and went down to the basement. (We've been here before )

Well regarded by Barrow supporters too after leaving us:

https://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic....8c0db64bdfb9ff

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I recall the man as being a tidy player and he came into a side that should have been going up but instead lost its way and went down to the basement. (We've been here before )

Well regarded by Barrow supporters too after leaving us:

https://www.barrowafc.net/viewtopic....8c0db64bdfb9ff

RIP.
    He went to Barrow and came back to the lane with them and scored the winning goal in there 0-1 win.
    He was a lovely man and always had time for a chat he was also my mums favourite player. R.I.P Bobby.

I'm too young to remember Bobby Tait playing, but a friend of mine knew him well and always held him in very high regard. I do recall being briefly introduced to him at a Notts game many years ago. Really nice guy by all accounts. RIP Bobby, with condolences to his family and friends.