+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a squad for the Premiership

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    It's a very bad reflection on our Academy.
    We need to stop developing 5 a side players who might become pros and start developing athletes who can play Premiership football.
    yeah we need hoofball merchants

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    yeah we need hoofball merchants
    No. Never said that. Well developed physically and able to play.

Get them playing regularly with established players in a reserve side. It worked back in the day. If it ain't broke...........

That's the entire midfield that played well when we were hit by COVID against rangers at Ibrox about 2 1/2 years ago let go. That was only time I actually thought our much vaunted youth system might be more than just that. Gave me a lot of hope that day, but come to nothing. In meekisons case injury and change of manager didn't help, he was establishing himself under courts then jettisoned by jack Ross. I'd say it should be reviewed but probably hardly any staff left from the past 4-5 years. Apart from bowman obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    That's the entire midfield that played well when we were hit by COVID against rangers at Ibrox about 2 1/2 years ago let go. That was only time I actually thought our much vaunted youth system might be more than just that. Gave me a lot of hope that day, but come to nothing. In meekisons case injury and change of manager didn't help, he was establishing himself under courts then jettisoned by jack Ross. I'd say it should be reviewed but probably hardly any staff left from the past 4-5 years. Apart from bowman obviously!
    Been saying for 2 or 3 years that the academy needs ripped up and started again. Ogren and Capuano seem to have no idea. If we get the investment from down south they'll insist on it as part of the deal.

Maybe we need more youngsters with the mental capabilities to succeed. The drive and belief to break into the first team.
    Perhaps there is a culture problem rather than a lack of physical or technical attributes.

Been saying for 2 or 3 years that the academy needs ripped up and started again. Ogren and Capuano seem to have no idea. If we get the investment from down south they'll insist on it as part of the deal.
    Thats a bit harsh about the academy as none of the talent found through the current set up will be as yet ready to make that step up to the big team. I also think that it may just be the usual success rate is showing that Kerr Smith, Louis Nielson and Ross Graham are the ones to get a move or into the first team. But they are all from the ST era when im not sure we had the right people in charge post a certain Mr S Campbell time at the club.

I do though see that, because of who Mark Ogren appointed to set everything up, the talent may not be of the required standard, but are Lewis O'Donnell, Owen Stirton and Rory McLeod the first potential fruits of the modern era of our youth development? That system needs time to see if it will work.

Like others im quite sad to see Scott McMann is on his way because of what he did this season, but ive said before, his time here is tainted by being part of an absolutely horrendous team that put us down last season.

And while i have seen them play quite well at times, i think injury has robbed Glass and Meekieson of their futures, but i would like to have seen Mochrie get at least a years extension to see if he could build on those 3 important goals this season.

As for the others, dont know enough about the youngsters, and thank feck that fecking Clown is away tae feck!

It's a worry, but maybe for a different thread?
    Who the **** is Goodman though? 🤣 I hope arab1970 and willie26 are not the same guy but he's the only other one I've ever seen refer to JG as Goodman

Mochrie was apparently offered a deal so much have something else on mind, someone else saying Airdrie due to the agency he joined and a lot of them being on Airdrie's books, would definitely suit McCabes style of play

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Not a single player in that list that I'm bothered about. McMann is a shock, but only as I thought the manager liked him. The rest haven't done anywhere near enough to show they are good enough for the Championship, never mind the Prem.
    Totally agree as harsh as that sounds .

The reality is there ought to be quite a few more following this lot out the door or we will struggle big time .

If anyone truly believes we can go in to next season with pretty much any of that side its delusional .

At best most , except for perhaps Literally only 1 or 2 exceptions, would be no more than squad players unless we are planing on battling relegation from the get-go .

As I say that may come across as harsh on the back of the high of winning the title but it is IMO an accurate assessment .

Don't shoot the messenger

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)