+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sam Cosgrove

Sam Cosgrove

Done well in the playoffs with both him and Grant having very good understanding showing us a couple of outstanding moments.
    Sam could be our new Paul Wilkinson so all we need is a John Hendrie. Is it just me what do you all think lads.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Done well in the playoffs with both him and Grant having very good understanding showing us a couple of outstanding moments.
    Sam could be our new Paul Wilkinson so all we need is a John Hendrie. Is it just me what do you all think lads.
    Didn't see the game last night Poggy, but I've thought for some time that Cosgrove just needed a run in the team to get settled and start scoring. He didn't really get that under Collins, for whatever reason. Grant has looked good the few times that I've seen him.

Yes Poggs agree about Cosgrove. Always thought he was a player. He's just got to get that run of games and find consistency which he will do imo

Hey I was even comparing him with our former big number 9, Trevor Aylott. 😀
    With the correct service to him, and that comes down to coaching and recruitment quality etc.
    He really could be a big player for us next season. 👍

I’ve wanted Cosgrove to be more involved for a while now. Yes, his link up play leaves a bit to be desired but even when he’s not playing great, he’s still a handful for the opposition defence.

With Cole probably leaving and McAtee returning, Cosgrove would be my main striker next season. Then we just need a little ‘un with pace next to him (could be Jalo maybe?) and then to get plenty of crosses into the box to him.

I'm still to be convinced about Cosgrove.

He looks slow in movement and speed of thought to me.

He played well at Bolton when the game was getting stretched and frantic but in regular Third Division games this season he has always looked "spaced out" to me, unsure of what to do next. If we are going "Big Lump/ Fast Little'Un" up front next season then fair enough but he has never been mobile enough for me. I have one memory of his contribution this season -I think it was Wycombe- 0-0- and Big Sam ran up to the keeper and by some miracle the keeper released the ball for him to score.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 09-05-2024 at 08:09 AM.

I think you can do much better than Cosgrove. He looked outstanding the other night against Wanderers but we now know that Santos was struggling with his calf injury in the second half and certainly wasn’t as mobile as usual so I’d bear that in mind when considering. I have a feeling that might be the best you’ll ever see of him and he certainly hadn’t done much for you so far, much like he didn’t at Wigan or Plymouth either. If all you want is a big lump in the middle I suppose he’d do but as I said I think you can do much better personally. ��