+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our season

Our season

I think our season will be decided on Wednesday. I’m sure Chelsea will beat Bournemouth at home in their last game.

I think Brighton will beat them on Wednesday and so all we have to do is beat Man U to get 6th!

Could be, man.

Most of the season I've been of the opinion we'll finish around 8th and that hasn't really changed. With the injuries we've had, that's still a very impressive result but I just think we'll come up short.

We are definitely capable of beating the Mancs and, for many reasons, I think we deserve to finish ahead of both them and Chelsea...but I suspect we may not.

I'd rather we did qualify for Europe but if we don't, it gives us a better shot at the top 4 next season. if we hadn't had the horrendous injuries, I think we're at least the 4th best team but we need to keep Bruno and Isak to be up there next season-just hope if we're not in Europe, that doesn't make either rethink staying.

Sorry if this is a little negative.

Good points but I’m not in agreement with the idea that it’s best to avoid the conference to have less games. I think our club/squad needs to get used to a full fixture list - that’s where we want to be.
    Europa league is strange in that fixtures are on Thursdays and so give teams a day less rest till the Saturday match. I wonder why they don’t play on Wednesdays like the Champions league games?

Assuming Man Utd get beat today and we win on Wed, we’ll finish 6th.

Don’t see Chelsea getting 6 points off Brighton and Bournemouth.

All in our hands, GD means 2 wins and 6th is definitely ours, but we could even be confirmed 6th on Wed if both us and Brighton win.

Wonder if Eddie will play trippier at full back in view of the importance of the match. I would start Joelinton Bruno and Longstaff with Barnes Isak and Gordon up front. Tripps and tino at full back,burn and krafth. If Wilson was feeling a bit off he could well be ok by Wed so on the bench for me.

As long as we go ballls out for the 2 games. Give us a good buzz for the summer.

Well I got my prediction wrong. Painful as it is to admit, Chelsea deserve 6th. They went to Brighton and won 4 days after we couldn’t beat them at home.
    Too many points lost against small teams this season and we have to start taking more points from the big teams too, like Liverpool who seem to walk all over us every year.

The big picture: from relegation candidates to 4th and now 7th/8th - we are moving forwards nicely.

We can't forget that Chelsea have had 1 game per week.

The filth & us have been in Europe.

Chelsea should have been in Villa's position, as a minimum if not higher, with the squad and manager they have Chelsea should have ben title contenders this season.

We finished 4th when only focused on domestic competition and reached the cup final with most of the cabbage patch still on the field.

I do agree that we have taken massive strides forward and we are not done yet. Anything can happen on Sunday. Keep the faith!

HWtLs!

An 8th place finish seems likely as the players will be deflated going into the weekend. It could be the difference between keeping Bruno or not so I really want to be proven wrong. 7th would be a very respectable season given our injury and suspension woes, especially as it should mean European football next season when City win the FA Cup (surely). 6th would be excellent, though unlikely now.

We still have a long and difficult journey ahead of us to make it where we want to be. Lots of difficult decisions, savvy transfer windows and luck required under the current financial restrictions. Overall a good but frustrating season.

8th place is the average finish for a club who's competed in the Champions League for the first time in ages.

So would be right on track.

However, I genuinely believe there are gonna be some shocks on the last day.

The whole narrative the 'The club needs to do better to keep the likes of Bruno, Isak etc.

From my position, the players are the ones who determine where the club finishes in the league.

As we've seen at so many clubs, including our own at times, players get managers fired, players down tools and don't play and the club gets relegated, players buy-in to a managers vision and over achieve finishing well above their expected position.

It's the players who are ultimately responsible for the position the club finishes. Yes, the manager sets the team up etc. However, yesterdays match at Man U was set up perfectly by Howe and the back room staff. We had enough chances to win that match. The players Longstaff and Isak didn't finish their chances.

Craig Hope commented that 'the players didn't show the levels of ruthlessness.' I rarely agree with the man but on this I concur.

We have early chances, aside from the penalty, we should have scored first and the whole atmosphere in OT would have turned very very sour. Had the ref not been a cheating biased ****, we'd have added a 2nd with the penalty. The whole match would have been different but the facts are facts. We didn't take our chances. We weren't clinical and that's down to the 11 on the pitch.

The defending was terrible for 2 of the filths goals. So, they have to take accountability for their performance in a very winnable match.

On to the Sunday and Brentford. Let's give Franks mob a good hiding and see where the chips fall shall we!

HOWAY THE LADS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)