+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: League Two Signings Thread 2024/25

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    Wow! You really do have something against McGoldrick. I personally think he was great first half of season but due to our injuries and lack of fire power we played him far too much and nullified his threat due to fatigue later in season. I for one hope he is given fair playing time this season.
    I hope I am wrong but he looks to me like age has caught up with him. You could be right that he was played too much but after his injury he didn’t look at all mobile, his touch and dribbling had deserted him and he looked a passenger in the team. He himself will know if he can still do a job so if he starts next season I am hoping he knows he can.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    I hope I am wrong but he looks to me like age has caught up with him. You could be right that he was played too much but after his injury he didn’t look at all mobile, his touch and dribbling had deserted him and he looked a passenger in the team. He himself will know if he can still do a job so if he starts next season I am hoping he knows he can.
    I’d agree with this. We need to use him much more sparingly next season, because he contributed very little in the second half of the season. I do think this was a “heart over head” signing that went against the grain of the club’s new ethos. For whatever reason, we’ve not seen the player Derby had in 2022-23,

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Bench warmer at best behind Scott...
    We don’t even know 100% for sure Scott can cut it in L2. If Langstaff stays I’m pretty sure Scott will be on the bench too with Jatta ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I’d agree with this. We need to use him much more sparingly next season, because he contributed very little in the second half of the season. I do think this was a “heart over head” signing that went against the grain of the club’s new ethos. For whatever reason, we’ve not seen the player Derby had in 2022-23,
    It looked to me as if he was trying to do too much when he returned from injury. Kept chasing the ball rather than finding spaces to receive the ball.

Maybe that was lack of confidence in the team at the time or just frustration.

Hopefully he can emulate the start he had with us and be managed accordingly.

I think Didzy is honest enough to know that Jatta is going to start ahead of him.
    I like Jatta and it will be interesting to see if he can get through a whole season hence the need for Didzy.
    The workload needs to be shared.
    We haven't had a period without Macca yet (heaven forbid).

Quote Originally Posted by meoldlaner View Post
    I think Didzy is honest enough to know that Jatta is going to start ahead of him.
    I like Jatta and it will be interesting to see if he can get through a whole season hence the need for Didzy.
    The workload needs to be shared.
    We haven't had a period without Macca yet (heaven forbid).
    Next year I reckon we will go 4-2-3-1 which means more rotation of the forwards anyway. Jatta, Langstaff and Scott will rotate around the top spot. Didzy and Crowley in the 10 position with Jones and Nemane on the wings so would expect a winger or two to come in unless we utilise Didzy on the wing also as well as Langstaff

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    Wow! You really do have something against McGoldrick. I personally think he was great first half of season but due to our injuries and lack of fire power we played him far too much and nullified his threat due to fatigue later in season. I for one hope he is given fair playing time this season.
    I certainly do not have anything against him. He comes across as a very decent guy, but i honestly believe he was a signing that we just didn't need. We had in my opinion more important defensive rolls to fill... If you are happy for us to sign old players on a nostalgic return, then fine, that's your prerogative...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-05-2024 at 10:28 AM.

I certainly do not have anything against him. He comes across has a very decent guy, but i honestly believe he was a signing that we just didnt need. We had in my opinion more important defensive rolls to fill... If you are happy for us to sign old players on a nostalgic return, then fine, thats your prerogative...
    I pretty much agree, although at the time, I was really excited about his return. He had a pretty good season overall, but I expected a bit more from someone who scored 20+ goals in L1. I assume he's one of our highest earners, if not the highest earner. Looked like his legs had gone towards the end.

If you are happy for us to sign old players on a nostalgic return, then fine, that's your prerogative...
    I don't think nostalgia was the club's main motivation for signing him (although it may have hoovered up a few more season tickets for us).

I think it was more that he had an outstanding season for Derby, scoring loads of goals, being the PFA Player of the season, PFA team of the season and Derby's player of the season. All in a league above.

I'll admit we didn't get to see much of that. It could have been cos he was playing in a much better team at Derby. Who knows, stick a more robust midfield around him and we might see it again.....

Bench warmer at best behind Scott...
    I hope you’re right as that would mean Scott is performing very well.
    Although I have to say I have my reservations he will cut it.
    He’s not particularly quick, not particularly strong and not particularly skilful. All that will be irrelevant if he can regularly find the back of the net though and I really hope that’s the case.
    He’s a fans favourite for sure but has also had many average games for Notts, and quite a few injuries.
    I was personally surprised we retained him.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast