+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: League Two Signings Thread 2024/25

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I hope you’re right as that would mean Scott is performing very well.
    Although I have to say I have my reservations he will cut it.
    Me too, I'd be pleasantly surprised if Cedwyn Scott became a first team regular next season.

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    I think McG had a good half season. To eke another season out of him we'll need to be more solid behind him to let him do his work around the box. He spent too much time coming deep to help the midfield and we wore him out to the point of him offering pretty much no goal threat by the season's end. Jatta definitely deserves to start ahead of him.
    I would agree with you on this one. It will be about how Didzy's game time is managed next season that will show how effective he is in games. As you say he should not have to be coming so deep to collect the ball wasting energy. He needs to be given the ball rather than go looking for it next season.

Another good point about Jatta and I feel it is a transition between those two next season. We should not have to rely on Didzy to play every minute of the game and twice a week. Starting games playing an hour, or coming on as an option in the last half hour and things like that.

Between Didzy and Jatta it should be able to work well. Didzy is not worked into the ground, and Jatta can find his feet and establish himself as a first team regular as he adapts to life in England and we get the best out of both of them. A win, win for everyone.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 17-05-2024 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I would agree with you on this one. It will be about how Didzy's game time is managed next season that will show how effective he is in games. As you say he should not have to be coming so deep to collect the ball wasting energy. He needs to be given the ball rather than go looking for it next season.

Another good point about Jatta and I feel it is a transition between those two next season. We should not have to rely on Didzy to play every minute of the game and twice a week. Starting games playing an hour, or coming on as an option in the last half hour and things like that.

Between Didzy and Jatta it should be able to work well. Didzy is not worked into the ground, and Jatta can find his feet and establish himself as a first team regular as he adapts to life in England and we get the best out of both of them. A win, win for everyone.
    Yes, that's what I'd hope for too. I'd also like us to be able to give Macca more of a rest as well, we've ran him like a dog for two seasons and Scott and Morias can hopefully dab in with some goals.
    I think under Maynard we've looked at our best playing Jatta and Langstaff together. Langstaff and Scott always looked threatening together but for some reason I never thought Didzy and Langstaff looked very comfortable as a pair.
    With five recognised strikers on the books and the promising Sanderson a year older we should hopefully be able to rotate and get the best from all of them.

The thing that I haven’t seen mentioned about Didzy is his vast experience. We went in to last season with Didzy as the only experienced EFL striker. We had no idea whether Macca, Scott and Morias would cut it in L2. We are still unsure about 2-3. We now have Jatta.
    Having Didzy here to mentor these players is priceless. Didzy had a season of 2 halves but so did most of the squad, Macca included. Personally, I put a lot of that down to the lack of rotation, a direct result of having a threadbare squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The thing that I haven’t seen mentioned about Didzy is his vast experience. We went in to last season with Didzy as the only experienced EFL striker. We had no idea whether Macca, Scott and Morias would cut it in L2. We are still unsure about 2-3. We now have Jatta.
    Having Didzy here to mentor these players is priceless. Didzy had a season of 2 halves but so did most of the squad, Macca included. Personally, I put a lot of that down to the lack of rotation, a direct result of having a threadbare squad.
    I’m not sure why people are reaching for this ‘McGoldrick was tired’ thing when the much more obvious explanation for his slump in form was the change of head coach. He played 39 times for Derby the previous season and his best performance for us imo was Donny at home in Williams’ last home match. He was kin brilliant in thr second half of that game. No evidence of tiredness there. He was also rubbish when he came back from his long lay off (dead leg).

I thought he was disappointing generally to be fair and I’ve got no hope he’ll be any better next season. If he hadn’t been on a 2 year contract we’d have let him go. I’ve no idea why his performances went so downhill when Maynard turned up but the fact is they did.

I agree that crunching tackle he took against Crewe was bad and i am worried that he will think at my age is it worth it and that could well affect his game. Hope there is no lasting affects because he will still do a good job off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’m not sure why people are reaching for this ‘McGoldrick was tired’ thing when the much more obvious explanation for his slump in form was the change of head coach. .
    I don't think it's reaching. He's the same age of JOB but with loads more wear on the tyres, or miles on the odometer, across his career. No coach ever dreamt of playing JOB 90mins Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues, but for some reason they chose to forget McGoldrick was 36. Then came the crazy idea to make him fight for countless long, high diagonal balls every game. At his best he was a regular MoM performer for us. The club did a really bad job of getting, and then keeping him at that level, which would have meant much better management of his pitch time.

At least we won't go into this season thinking we've got a 29-30 year-old star player on our books.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I don't think it's reaching. He's the same age of JOB but with loads more wear on the tyres, or miles on the odometer, across his career. No coach ever dreamt of playing JOB 90mins Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues, but for some reason they chose to forget McGoldrick was 36. Then came the crazy idea to make him fight for countless long, high diagonal balls every game. At his best he was a regular MoM performer for us. The club did a really bad job of getting, and then keeping him at that level, which would have meant much better management of his pitch time.

At least we won't go into this season thinking we've got a 29-30 year-old star player on our books.
    Agree with all of that and add that his form dipped most noticably when we were desperately searching for wins and asking far too much of him. Also (IMO) he isn't a player best suited to play in a compressed area he needs a bit more room and space than he gets with us. Might be some mileage in dropping him into JB's place with MP running for him and lets see how subtle he can be?

Matty Stevens looks a good signing for Wimbledon on a freebie.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...s/c999kpe5d7vo

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Agree with all of that and add that his form dipped most noticably when we were desperately searching for wins and asking far too much of him. Also (IMO) he isn't a player best suited to play in a compressed area he needs a bit more room and space than he gets with us. Might be some mileage in dropping him into JB's place with MP running for him and lets see how subtle he can be?
    How about not playing him at all. His legs have gone and he doesn't fit into our system.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast