+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So who would people retain and who would you definitely let go?

So who would people retain and who would you definitely let go?

Next season will be all about rebuild and-as Mick so rightly says-this will be the real test of Shilen's rhetoric so far. Few would doubt the need for a better recruitment dept. or the need for a decent striker but any current players you would really want to keep or really want to go?

In terms of contracts, Mowatt, Kipre, Pipa, Chalobah, Weimann, M'Vila, Reach, Philips and Pieters all have contracts ending in June. Of these, I'd definitely want to retain both Kipre and Mowatt. May even (tin hat time &#128513 go for giving Reach another year as he is a good squad member. Worth trying to retain Johnston too if affordable as nice to have two direct players on either flank.

Of those not out of contract I'd fight to keep Palmer and Fellows and would be happy to keep Yokuslu (despite his dip in form), BTA (despite his poor finishing), Bartley (despite his age) and, yes, Furlong but sure we can do better for the money than Wallace, Swift and Diangana. Townsend can be good going forward and is, I think, better defensively than some have argued but agree we could do better.

What do others think?

We need a huge clear out.

I think Fellows will be sold due to the fact Patel hasn’t got a pot to p I s s in.

I’m expecting a Jeremy Peace business model which will pretty much mean we self fund transfers.

Much as I’d like Fellows to stay I think he’ll go and I think we’ll cash in on Palmer as well.

If Stoke want Asante for £3m plus he’ll be gone as well.

I’m happy to have pretty much a complete clear out as long as it means we have a young and vibrant squad next season.

I’d also sell Yokuslu as well, his head was turned in January and he’s been poor since then so if we can get £4m plus I’d wave goodbye to him.

In truth, if I never see almost any of the present lot again I won’t be crying.

I actually think we’re a very poor outfit who got lucky this season.

It’s time for a new broom.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

I think Fellows will be sold due to the fact Patel hasn’t got a pot to p I s s in.

I’m expecting a Jeremy Peace business model which will pretty much mean we self fund transfers.

Much as I’d like Fellows to stay I think he’ll go and I think we’ll cash in on Palmer as well.

I’m happy to have pretty much a complete clear out as long as it means we have a young and vibrant squad next season.

I’d also sell Yokuslu as well, his head was turned in January and he’s been poor since then so if we can get £4m plus I’d wave goodbye to him.

Pretty much in agreement tbf Mick, but can we dutch Boiler Man as well?

We have over achieved massively this season after many thought mid table or even relegation was a possibility.

My concern is by starting again how do we recruit and gel the right players to go again next season... it is likely going to be a couple of seasons at least until we get firing again.

Then again this is football ⚽️

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil81 View Post
    Pretty much in agreement tbf Mick, but can we dutch Boiler Man as well?

We have over achieved massively this season after many thought mid table or even relegation was a possibility.

My concern is by starting again how do we recruit and gel the right players to go again next season... it is likely going to be a couple of seasons at least until we get firing again.

Then again this is football ⚽️
    I’d take a season or two of no play offs if we were really going with a youthful plan.

In reality, it’s only by pushing youngsters that we can hope to bring in decent transfer fees, these older players we’ve been buying have little or no sell on value.

So youngsters give you a chance with a sell on value and they might just do an Ipswich and take you up.

Youngsters and a far wiser use of Prem loan players is what’s needed.

Agree with the above, a huge clear out required, unfortunately due to the ridiculous lengths of contracts given it will take time, I think we’ll see some of the same old bottlers next season, Furlong, Townsend, Bartley, Swift, Phillips, Diangana, they’ll all be still here😩

Palmer, Kipre, Mowatt and Johnston (buy) need new contracts, the others should not be renewed, we will struggle to offload any players under contract other than Fellows and BTA(we will make a profit) would like to keep Fellows if we can.
    Over to you Mr Patel.

The number of contracts up next month provides an opportunity to start the clear out needed but -as we have seen this season-it is important that we still have enough numbers in the squad to cover injuries/game management etc.

The big questions are where these new players are to come from and how we ensure that they are significantly better than what we had. I'm all for rebuilding using a far greater number of younger players but this will mean far better scouting and recruitment as well as perhaps more investment in our own Academy.

Another issue, of course, is the number of players we have under contract that we ideally need to be shot of and replace. Not only do we need to find someone to take them off us but we also then need to both find better to replace them with and the money to do so.

I think that there will be changes next season but believe that any re-building will be quite a slow process as there are no quick fixes. I expect to see quite a few of the same faces I'm afraid.

It’s not going to be easy but with so many contracts at an end there are difficult decisions to be made. To my mind the players that we must keep are Palmer, Kipre, Mowatt, Fellows, Johnston (if possible). There are others such as Asante, Wallace who I would probably keep and surprisingly Reach as he can operate in various positions. Would definitely get rid of Grant, if anybody will take him, Chalobah, M’Villa and Pieters. Others, it just depends.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Totally agree with all that! Woke up with a hangover as had to enjoy something! P iss poor we didn’t give it a go but that comes down to - we are not good enough and have been found out!

Bringing through the academy players is going to be key as the club can't replace 10 players easily, without hefty fees. They can't be any worse than Diangana was last night!

Whitwell, Taylor and Bostock I think will have a breakout season if I were guessing around any. We can't forget that Molumby returns for next season too!

Yokuslu is either playing with an injury, his heads turned or age is getting the better of him. He looks like he's lost a yard of speed and he wasn't quick in the first place. He'd make a decent centre half in his later years though I'm sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)