+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So who would people retain and who would you definitely let go?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’d take a season or two of no play offs if we were really going with a youthful plan.

In reality, it’s only by pushing youngsters that we can hope to bring in decent transfer fees, these older players we’ve been buying have little or no sell on value.

So youngsters give you a chance with a sell on value and they might just do an Ipswich and take you up.

Youngsters and a far wiser use of Prem loan players is what’s needed.
    Most sensible suggestion so far. We are an aged team who need to be dismantled. Try to plan for the next 2/3 seasons so that when we do eventually return to the upper echelons, we will be able to hold our own.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Bringing through the academy players is going to be key as the club can't replace 10 players easily, without hefty fees. They can't be any worse than Diangana was last night!

Whitwell, Taylor and Bostock I think will have a breakout season if I were guessing around any. We can't forget that Molumby returns for next season too!

Yokuslu is either playing with an injury, his heads turned or age is getting the better of him. He looks like he's lost a yard of speed and he wasn't quick in the first place. He'd make a decent centre half in his later years though I'm sure.
    Well that was disappointing wasn’t it. Thought it was poor performance overall. That said it’s been good season, as far as next season it will be interesting to see who our first new signing is. That will be a Pointer to see type of player he’s going with. Hopefully no older than 28/29 ..as far as retained players are concerned , I couldn’t care last night so didn’t come on here but after sleeping on it I’d say fellowes Mowatt kipre palmer . Anyone else can do one. Soz but we need clear out as Mick said.
    Anyway will be the Euros soon so guess that will end in disappointment too. Have a nice Saturday everyone. Gloomy here in Nottinghamshire.

Would it be too cynical to suggest that it will suit a number of our players not to have achieved promotion. The majority of those with contracts terminating next month (and ridiculously high salaries) would clearly not be renewed if in the Premiership. However, now Championship continues I suspect their prospect of a contract renewal has greatly improved.
    Essentially, we are all in agreement regarding a clear out and with those mentioned “to keep”. I’ve a feeling that some of the “let goes” recommended, will now agree to salary reduced contract renewals negotiated by their agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Would it be too cynical to suggest that it will suit a number of our players not to have achieved promotion. The majority of those with contracts terminating next month (and ridiculously high salaries) would clearly not be renewed if in the Premiership. However, now Championship continues I suspect their prospect of a contract renewal has greatly improved.
    Essentially, we are all in agreement regarding a clear out and with those mentioned “to keep”. I’ve a feeling that some of the “let goes” recommended, will now agree to salary reduced contract renewals negotiated by their agents.

You’re becoming very cynical in your dotage Paul!

I tend to agree, I thought the very same.

Even a 50% reduction will still leave many on over £10k a week, good luck getting that elsewhere on the open market.

I would keep our top performers in order of the stats showing consistency through the whole season which in order are:
    1- Mowatt
    2- Furlong
    3- Kipre
    You can see the full order on FotMob. Other than the top consistent players we need to recruit good solid players who will add to the strengths we have. Let go those who have underperformed over the season. It’s a slow job and eventually even the ones we rely on week in week out are getting older. It’s a time for change but what’s the rush? Slow but sure will do me.

First of all, I do everything to keep Fellows for next season; secondly, try to buy Johnston, that would give us pace and talent down both wings. To take advantage of that, we need a solid centre forward who can win balls in the air and hold the ball up; sadly, I don’t think that Dike or Maja can provide that, the former is far too injury prone to risk. Then, considering that we have had plenty of clean sheets this season, I would keep Furlong, Kipre and Bartley, Ajayi is ok, too. I would like to see Caleb Taylor make the grade at this level. Also keep Mowatt, Swift and Asante. The rest need to be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I would keep our top performers in order of the stats showing consistency through the whole season which in order are:
    1- Mowatt
    2- Furlong
    3- Kipre
    You can see the full order on FotMob. Other than the top consistent players we need to recruit good solid players who will add to the strengths we have. Let go those who have underperformed over the season. It’s a slow job and eventually even the ones we rely on week in week out are getting older. It’s a time for change but what’s the rush? Slow but sure will do me.

The rush is so we can compete. Carlos has done a great job with a poor bunch of players and the football on the whole has been slow and boring. For me - I would keep Palmer - Kipre - perhaps Bartley on a reduced wage - AJ - Furlong - Fellows and Mowatt. I would let go of the others and sell Grant, Griffiths, Asante and Dike when fit.

We need pace and more pace and a striker FFS! Starting Wallace last night in the striker role again - well I thought it was April fools Day!

Southampton didn’t have to get out of first gear as our lightweights couldn’t even keep the ball or pass it!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    First of all, I do everything to keep Fellows for next season; secondly, try to buy Johnston, that would give us pace and talent down both wings. To take advantage of that, we need a solid centre forward who can win balls in the air and hold the ball up; sadly, I don’t think that Dike or Maja can provide that, the former is far too injury prone to risk. Then, considering that we have had plenty of clean sheets this season, I would keep Furlong, Kipre and Bartley, Ajayi is ok, too. I would like to see Caleb Taylor make the grade at this level. Also keep Mowatt, Swift and Asante. The rest need to be improved upon.
    A proper centre forward who can hold the ball up, run the channels and link play AND who can actually win headers is of the utmost priority.

We actually need two new proper forwards with a record that’s proven at whatever level, one of the will preferably be more of a number 10 because we don’t have a proper 10 on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    A proper centre forward who can hold the ball up, run the channels and link play AND who can actually win headers is of the utmost priority.

We actually need two new proper forwards with a record that’s proven at whatever level, one of the will preferably be more of a number 10 because we don’t have a proper 10 on the books.

Heard Dike could be available again by Christmas 25 so super Jed will be our striker until then 😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Heard Dike could be available again by Christmas 25 so super Jed will be our striker until then 😂😂😂😂
    We are going to show ourselves to be severely dysfunctional as a club if we don’t have a proper centre forward on the books by kick off day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)