+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Retained list...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Did you ever play Private Fraser in Dad's Army, rA? We're doomed, we're all doomed.
    Lol…not saying that at all. We might have someone better lined up for all I know. I just believe in hanging on to good, proven and reliable players whenever we can and this is, first and foremost, a DCFC forum where I thought such matters might be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

I do hope fans don't start getting carried away, Derby might be free of EFL restrictions, but Clowes doesn't seem like someone who will approve an excessive spending spree. The aim next season must surely be consolidation and look to finish as high as possible within the allowed budgets.
    Ewe n me both Swale. DC is said to be "worth" around £250M. A lot of that is tied up in land, a football stadium, buildings, machinery etc. and not liquid assets. He won't be pumping millions into the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Fair bit of supposition there, Swale…unless you actually know that he’s been led into asking for an ‘over the odds’ deal.
    I wouldn’t know, although he’s always appeared to me to be a very level headed and responsible chap who, perhaps more to the point, has won the ‘Golden Gloves’ award this season, has Championship experience, has made almost 100 appearances for us as part of a very strong defensive unit over the last two seasons and who, at 28, probably has another 8-10 years ahead of him.

I completely agree with your final paragraph but I think letting JW go is a major mistake and leaves ‘big boots’ to fill.
    Well there are a limited number of options as to why he has gone and given the circumstances the salary demands are the most likely.

I didn't say "over the odds" deal, but he will have an agent who if he is doing his job will have calculated the likely salary that other clubs in will pay, he may even have got firm offers ( don't forget a player on a free transfer can often get a higher wage as the club looking to sign him hasn't got a transfer fee to pay) and there are other richer clubs in the championship who may well be prepared to pay more than Derby are. Who would blame Wildsmith for seeking the best financial deal for himself? I'm sure even a "back up" keeper at Norwich, Southampton, Burnley, Sheff Utd for example would pay more than 1st choice at derby with potential promotion bonusses as well.

In the end no matter how pleasant and well balanced a player is, money talks and if that comes with potentially better career opportunities as well, why wouldn't he take them?

To say its a big mistake seems to suggest that Derby should pay him what he wants? Surely that approach is not sensible? At any rate it implies that his departure is purely down to Derby and Warne, whereas its more than possible that it was Wildsmith's choice to take an opportunity which his good performances last season and the fact that he is out of contract have become available.
    Last edited by swaledale; 20-05-2024 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol…not saying that at all. We might have someone better lined up for all I know. I just believe in hanging on to good, proven and reliable players whenever we can and this is, first and foremost, a DCFC forum where I thought such matters might be discussed.
    I'm certain GP wasn't suggesting you couldn't discuss it, just that the transfer window hasn't even opened and already your post has a touch of the doomster and gloomster about it.

Now when Derby sign a cracking keeper from a prem club on loan at a 1/3 of the wages Wildsmith may have wanted, it all be fine.

On the other hand if the replacement is Lee Grant we are ****ed!!

PW is big on game stats apparently (that for example is why he brings all 11 back for corners) and it just may be that he has cold heartedly decided through studying the stats that JW has been flattered by a **** hot defence and therefore there ARE a pool of stoppers out there who will do an equal job.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well there are a limited number of options as to why he has gone and given the circumstances the salary demands are the most likely.

I didn't say "over the odds" deal, but he will have an agent who if he is doing his job will have calculated the likely salary that other clubs in will pay, he may even have got firm offers ( don't forget a player on a free transfer can often get a higher wage as the club looking to sign him hasn't got a transfer fee to pay) and there are other richer clubs in the championship who may well be prepared to pay more than Derby are. Who would blame Wildsmith for seeking the best financial deal for himself? I'm sure even a "back up" keeper at Norwich, Southampton, Burnley, Sheff Utd for example would pay more than 1st choice at derby with potential promotion bonusses as well.

In the end no matter how pleasant and well balanced a player is, money talks and if that comes with potentially better career opportunities as well, why wouldn't he take them?

To say its a big mistake seems to suggest that Derby should pay him what he wants? Surely that approach is not sensible? At any rate it implies that his departure is purely down to Derby and Warne, whereas its more than possible that it was Wildsmith's choice to take an opportunity which his good performances last season and the fact that he is out of contract have become available.
    You did actually refer to paying ‘over the odds’, in post #37, but no matter and I take your other points, although he has always come across to me as a player who values first team opportunities over Carson like salary security.
    I didn’t actually intend it to sound over critical of either Derby or the manager although it will be very interesting to see where JW ends up.
    Maybe ‘big mistake’ was overstating things because, as you rightly suggest, none of us know the full details…probably just disappointed, because Wildsmith would have been one of the first four or five names from last season’s squad - along with Nelson, Cashin, NML and Adams - I’d have been looking to secure for next season.

Me too, though not #me too!!

Anyhow we move on and see what transpires, it will be interesting.

Good keeper at Crawley who takes to playing it out from the back like a duck to water. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in but just promoted so perhaps not available

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Good keeper at Crawley who takes to playing it out from the back like a duck to water. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in but just promoted so perhaps not available
    Yeah…they’d be daft to get rid of a good keeper who’s just played a leading role in getting them promoted.

Glad someone spotted my irony

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)