+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: League Two Signings Thread 2024/25

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Makes way to sense that fella, all the good ones are being snapped up by opposition we dont usually make our move till the **** is left.
    Don’t think that’s true, countless signings we’ve had over the last couple of years have said Notts were in contact very early. I remember Langstaff saying there was contact in the second half of the season when he was at Gateshead.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'd love us to make a statement signing, like bringing in Croasdale or Sarcevic or someone else we've all heard of, but given that our strategy is to maximise value with every decision, I'm not sure that will happen. Loads of clubs will be after these high-profile freebies, so to land one, we'd have to offer big money. I'm just not sure that's what we'll do.
    Sarcevic has already been snapped up by Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Sarcevic has already been snapped up by Bradford.
    I know, just using him as an example of the type of player we're unlikely to sign.

I'd love us to make a statement signing, like bringing in Croasdale or Sarcevic or someone else we've all heard of, but given that our strategy is to maximise value with every decision, I'm not sure that will happen. Loads of clubs will be after these high-profile freebies, so to land one, we'd have to offer big money. I'm just not sure that's what we'll do.
    In any business you have to pay the going rate to get the best. The "Model" will work to a degree but as often said in footy terms "You need a plan B" If all you want to do is sign up & coming players for profit or loanees, it won't work, Experience counts for a lot & we need it. We have a Coach with very little full time & league experience. Older heads, not onee looking last nice pay packet are a must for us

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    In any business you have to pay the going rate to get the best. The "Model" will work to a degree but as often said in footy terms "You need a plan B" If all you want to do is sign up & coming players for profit or loanees, it won't work, Experience counts for a lot & we need it. We have a Coach with very little full time & league experience. Older heads, not onee looking last nice pay packet are a must for us
    But they haven’t just signed up and coming, JOB was given 2 more years and Bostock and Mcgoldrick were signed in the last season or so, none of them were ever going to have a sell on value. I do agree we need to replace that experience and experience with leadership qualities too.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    But they haven’t just signed up and coming, JOB was given 2 more years and Bostock and Mcgoldrick were signed in the last season or so, none of them were ever going to have a sell on value. I do agree we need to replace that experience and experience with leadership qualities too.
    True, but still, we don't tend to do obvious signings. We've made a few - like Matty Palmer - but mostly we tend to find players in unusual places.

I know the club strategy is well known and well respected (Radar looking for potential and sell on) and is without doubt the sensible way to go but bugger me it's boring sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Those 3 are your experience but JOB was already here & well respected. Goldie wanted to come here, it's his last playing wish. Bostock was I heard, training with Notts to get fit & they liked what he bought to the table, would they have looked never mind signed if he was playing elsewhere? I doubt it. None were straight go out & sign as with most players

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Those 3 are your experience but JOB was already here & well respected. Goldie wanted to come here, it's his last playing wish. Bostock was I heard, training with Notts to get fit & they liked what he bought to the table, would they have looked never mind signed if he was playing elsewhere? I doubt it. None were straight go out & sign as with most players
    Similar with JJ - he was completely frozen out at Oxford following years of injury struggles. No way he'd have come here if he had been fit and playing. So the system works, mostly, but it can be frustrating, especially when clubs around us are making "obvious" signings.

True, but still, we don't tend to do obvious signings. We've made a few - like Matty Palmer - but mostly we tend to find players in unusual places.
    Yes, like the A&E Department..

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast