+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Raith (A)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    And their keeper had at least 3 REALLY good saves that Pap would haven't even had a dive at.

Middleton begining to now show he can be an important player for us. We need to trust though, that he will get the ball in the danger areas. He is doing it quite consistantly now, that's all we ask for. Let's attack those areas expecting the ball to end up there, Moult does.

Just need Tony to keep up the good work and all is looking "no bad"
    It's amazing what a bit of online criticism does, eh? 😉

We seem to be playing with a wee bit of confidence and as frustrating as it is to have gone behind in the past couple of games, the players have dug in to get something outta the game. This is a massive step up for us. Hopefully we can build on this and start to try and stamp our authority on the game early on. It seems that teams have realised that their best chance is to go at us hard from kick off and we have been caught out by this lately. I would like to see us doing this to the opposition, flying out the traps and trying to get an early goal. This wee break potentially allows us to rest a couple of players but prepare for the Thistle game. I still feel like we aren't creating enough and are expecting too much from Moult...but a hungry Middleton and Watt certainly helps. Lets hope for a continued improvement from those two as they could be our most important players this season!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    It's amazing what a bit of online criticism does, eh? 😉
    I don't care if it's Elon Musk puting an X rocket up their arses. Whatever works. Whether it be, the manager, the fans, the keyboard warriors, I really don't mind. Something has changed for the better, long may it continue,

What was very reassuring is that the game was lifted particularly in the second half with so many players playing individually pretty poorly.

There is a much better collective understanding.

From where we were just a few months ago following a disastrous season, the loss of the bulk of the squad and the massive recruitment rebuilding process that was necessary in all honesty it’s pretty remarkable we’re sitting where we are. Much credit to Jim Goodwin (to date I stress) to have managed to gel together some semblance of a team from the ashes of last season in such a short time. Way, way better than following 2016 for starters under Ray.

I would highlight in particular that he had to get pretty well every signing 100% bang on - financially there was no margin for error whatsoever. In that regard, bar Denholm on loan (who let’s face it is still a young guy), the likes of Docherty, Holt, Gallagher, Walton, Moult, Grimshaw have absolutely hit the mark. And they needed to - if even a couple of them had been sub par we’d be pretty rubber ducked…………….
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 10-10-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    From where we were just a few months ago following a disastrous season, the loss of the bulk of the squad and the massive recruitment rebuilding process that was necessary in all honesty it’s pretty remarkable we’re sitting where we are. Much credit to Jim Goodwin (to date I stress) to have managed to gel together some semblance of a team from the ashes of last season in such a short time. Way, way better than following 2016 for starters under Ray.

I would highlight in particular that he had to get pretty well every signing 100% bang on - financially there was no margin for error whatsoever. In that regard, bar Denholm on loan (who let’s face it is still a young guy), the likes of Docherty, Holt, Gallagher, Walton, Moult, Grimshaw have absolutely hit the mark. And they needed to - if even a couple of them had been sub par we’d be pretty rubber ducked…………….
    I think that's spot on. Some people were moaning we were signing duds, even moaning that Moult was a bad idea, but these are exactly the type of players we should have signing before.
    A good side is the sum of its parts, understandings, partnerships and cohesion, all missing last season.
    I know he wasn't in post then but if JG had been able to make his own signings before last season started we would have stayed up easily.
    Despite all the disruptions we've had to the side early doors we are still top.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    I think that's spot on. Some people were moaning we were signing duds, even moaning that Moult was a bad idea, but these are exactly the type of players we should have signing before.
    A good side is the sum of its parts, understandings, partnerships and cohesion, all missing last season.
    I know he wasn't in post then but if JG had been able to make his own signings before last season started we would have stayed up easily.
    Despite all the disruptions we've had to the side early doors we are still top.
    There is a distinct difference to people moaning and what was voicing concerns about the standard of player we were bringing in that were valid, based on the evidence at the time and with us at the all time low we were at. Then a player comes along that im pretty sure someone had said has only played 6 games in however many seasons due to injury, then people have a right to be concerned. First name that popped into my head at the time was Fraser Fyvie, and with the number of parallels i was seeing between this season and the last doon season, then damn straight i was sh!tting masel and voiced my concerns! Nobody wants another 4 years doon!
    Yes a good side is a sum of the parts, but hindsight tells me our squad has been full of individuals for a number of seasons, and i think JG accepted that, not in a downing tools kinda way, but with a plan either way. But then we all knew that the signing of someone like Walton last January might just have done the trick.

James mentioned the new signings that have made their mark, but then you have to give credit to the contribution of McMann, Sibbald and all of the youngsters who have come into the squad this season, with Middleton and Watt now joining in.

Im gonna moan now though as its weeks away until the next game i can get to!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)