+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Second referendum

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Good post Oldpie. The swamp has been cleared in readiness to negotiate properly this time.
    Deluded or what? The negotiations have already been done, and the best description I can find of the outcome is that we'll be leaving on Theresa May's deal 'with a blond wig'. We will leave the EU on January 31st with that deal, because Boris has already agreed to it.

Woops.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    For me as a small business owner it has been incredibly frustrating and debilitating.

What about coalition’s? If I remember rightly Swinson nigh on begged Labour to join them in their remain manifesto but Labour didn’t even respond. Imagine how well they would work together in government.

Also, what if a PR vote resulted in a Con/LD coalition (again)? You can make numbers work in any way that best suits your agenda but doesn’t mean it is right. For me I don’t believe in coalitions unless the policies and objectives of those involved are truly aligned otherwise it becomes disjointed and contradicting and that can’t be a good thing can it?
    Coalitions aren't inherently good or bad in my view, while forcing an unpopular minority policy on the majority is always bad.

Anyway the current system has given us the Lib Dem / Con coalition plus the Theresa May/ DUP arrangement which wasn't called a coalition but effectively was, plus the Brexit gridlock.

I've just checked the OCSE rankings for the best countries considering variables such as employment, salaries, education, health, safety, environment, social relations, work life balance etc.

The UK comes 14th. Of the 13 countries above us only two have FPTP (USA 10th and Canada 4th) while all the rest have some kind of PR and several have compulsory voting. Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean there's a correlation between PR and being a successful country but it at least proves it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I'm sure it could, but even if they were in opposition they could still stop the government passing laws if half the country was against those laws, which I think is the essence of democracy!

I really don't think people have fully thought through the unintended consequences of PR voting.
    The last two PR votes led to outright victories for UKIP and the Brexit party, effectively single issue partys and the opposite of what you want.
    The real downside to me is what you consider the upside. You're contending that the largest party is kept out of office and rendered impotent by a coalition of smaller groupings, expressly to thwart a majority of voters. We've just had three years of that and it left half the country quietly seething at the other half.

First past the post forces a party to the centre, it has to win the consent of the largest cohort, inevitably leading to middle of the road, consensus politics. Labour were the extreme party this election as last, Blair's Labour was centre compared to the post poll tax Tories. The Overton window shifts left to right a bit but never too far because the electorate have always, always shunned the extreme.
    FPTP has given us hundreds of years of stability, it's a pressure release valve that's done a lot to help us avoid pretty much all the oscillating radicalism endured by much of mainland Europe over the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Deluded or what? The negotiations have already been done, and the best description I can find of the outcome is that we'll be leaving on Theresa May's deal 'with a blond wig'. We will leave the EU on January 31st with that deal, because Boris has already agreed to it.
    Typical losing moaningLabour supporter, just suck it up, you were trashed by the blonde wig,lol, I love the moaning losing a holes responses....admit it please, you were trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Typical losing moaningLabour supporter, just suck it up, you were trashed by the blonde wig,lol, I love the moaning losing a holes responses....admit it please, you were trashed.
    Seeing as your mate appears to have gone into hiding like he always did, would you like to offer an opinion on the shocking NHS figures after a decade of Tory government?

I bet that like him, you don't have the guts.

NHS Wales, I just love how you moaning losers get desperate L0l. Boris is king, Corbyn is......use whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    .... and yet another "dignified" response. Charming! Why would I need to hide from you BFP?

Where's Magpie Mania when you need him?
    Only kidding yoof, nice to see you back.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    NHS Wales, I just love how you moaning losers get desperate L0l. Boris is king, Corbyn is......use whatever you want.
    NHS Wales have been let down badly by the Labour party. It doesn't hurt me to say this, because it's the truth according to the stats.

Now, will you have the decency to offer an opinion on the NHS here under a decade of Tory rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    NHS Wales have been let down badly by the Labour party. It doesn't hurt me to say this, because it's the truth according to the stats.

Now, will you have the decency to offer an opinion on the NHS here under a decade of Tory rule?
    He*s probably hiding in a fridge.

And when he does appear, don't let him put your phone in his pocket!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast