+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Chesterfield FC 20.08.22 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Desperately need to move to 4 at the back. 3 centre backs isn't stopping the goals so may as well allow a better attacking threat with more up top
    Even LW will have to think about that. The Gateshead game showed how putting 3 defensive mids in front of a back 5 kills you as an attacking force.

However, it's hard to find a midfield pairing of just 2 from our squad. An extra midfielder, plus 4 at the back looks like a good way to go. And are our wing-backs providing us with anything they couldn't just as easily give as full-backs? I don't think so.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 20-08-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlockyNCFC View Post
    My take from having watched that is I don't think I've ever seen us be worse and not lose the game. Definitely shows you what a quality poacher No 9 is worth. Langstaff got us a point we had no business getting there. I'd feel sick if I were a Chessie fan.

While I am ultimately relieved with a point, if we are serious about promotion back to the football league then we are a depressingly long way short at this moment in time. Our midfield is far too lightweight and our defence prone to simple errors.
    This^^^ Langy snatched us a point from the jaws of defeat, but make no bones about it, in comparison to Chessie, we looked a poor side.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    This^^^ Langy snatched us a point from the jaws of defeat, but make no bones about it, in comparison to Chessie, we looked a poor side.
    Whilst ever we keep playing the likes of "Pass it back Nemane" I said he was rubbish when we first signed him, and he is no better now..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Could never understand why Austin was on the bench in the first place
    Another dodgy manager Bob...

I thought Nemane played alright tbh. Admittedly it's not saying much, but he'd have been my Notts motm for the first half.

Well we were awful until our first goal. After that I thought we were pretty good actually.

The weaknesses are there for all to see. The same 4 or 5 structural deficiencies we've had for years and don't seem any closer to fixing.

Our defence doesn't do the basics. Baldwin looks good with the ball at his feet but I'm not convinced defensively.

The quality of the final balls was terrible until Austin came on.

We're shorter and weaker than most teams.

Our wing backs are neither fish nor fowl.

The movement was poor and we didn't look sharp until our goal, but then we did all of a sudden. Must be a psychological thing.

Hard to know what to think really. The season will probably be decided on how many points we rack up against mid / lower table opposition away from home anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Well done Notts, cracking 2nd half effort. Good subs. Mitchell, Nemane, JOB not good enough to start. Chicksen not good enough at LWB. We need 2 x new WBs to play this system.
    Just back, but I think this sort of sums the situation up. The best thing about today is that Williams should know a lot more about what his best XI is and JOB, Mitchell, Francis and possibly Nemane/Chicksen aren’t in it, or even close(I actually think Nemane has the makings of a really good old school winger but it’s been thoroughly coached out of him).

We still need 3/4 players in. Hopefully our starting XI in a few weeks will look nothing like today’s.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Even LW will have to think about that. The Gateshead game showed how putting 3 defensive mids in front of a back 5 kills you as an attacking force.

However, it's hard to find a midfield pairing of just 2 from our squad. An extra midfielder, plus 4 at the back looks like a good way to go. And are our wing-backs providing us with anything they couldn't just as easily give as full-backs? I don't think so.
    A midfield two of Palmer and Vincent has the energy but the we've sent Vincent out on loan so...

We more physical and energised midfield would really help, both forward and backwards, just got to hope someone is coming in but if they do, right now it'll be a loan of an under 21 player which is not what we need

Until we cut out this ridiculous overplaying and risk taking in the defensive third of the field, we won't make any real progress. It simply has to stop. We're very fortunate that Langstaff grabbed a true poacher's goal, and after that we got the ball forward quicker and with more purpose for a while, but in the final stages we again fell back into bad habits.

The good news is that if we start getting the ball into the opponent's half in fewer passes, and get the ball into the box over and over again, Langstaff and probably Scott too will have a field day. When you've got a finisher like Macauley, why the hell would you prat about with the ball in areas that are only dangerous for ourselves? Just get it in the mixer, cause as much chaos and pressure as possible in and around the opponent's penalty box, and our strikers will do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Another dodgy manager Bob...
    Boos at half-time 1-0 down against one of the best sides in the league would suggest he is going to come under immediate pressure if Notts are outside the play offs for any length of time whilst losing at home. It sounded like the mood in the stands isn't so far removed from the tone of NCMAD this last few days after all. A very different atmosphere at the end of the game, but there was a warning shot fired there that fans could easily turn.

Halifax away looked a tough fixture before the season began, but they're still yet to score a single goal. Following three draws, I think he has to bookend that sequence with a win ahead of Solihull. If there can be a must win fixture in the opening 10 games, Halifax must now be it.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast