+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Cover versions

CT, there's a good few Shellcocks up in Oban Scotland and I think they moved from Rotherham. They seem big in the sailing club and involved in sailmaking. Couldn't spot Peter but there is a Brian Shellcock Memorial Trophy which may well be Peter's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Would that be the Hickmans Monty ? I remember John from school, and If I'm not mistaken their was a break in and the landlord got badly slammed with a razor!
    Lincs, haven't spoken to my sister yet but see george Hickman was landlord 1958-62 but an Albert Sanderson was landlord 1932-39. That website on Rotherham pubs is a marvellous resource.
    http://www.rotherhampubs.f9.co.uk/Ca...llegeRoad.html

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    CT, there's a good few Shellcocks up in Oban Scotland and I think they moved from Rotherham. They seem big in the sailing club and involved in sailmaking. Couldn't spot Peter but there is a Brian Shellcock Memorial Trophy which may well be Peter's brother.
    Many thanks for looking into this, Monty. Really appreciated. The Star article was particularly interesting. I think I must have read a much shortened version of it before. Brian Shellcock the entrepreneur was almost certainly the brother of Peter. He and his mother and wife and kids went up to Oban to build the holiday centre business. Peter seems to have disappeared from view quite early. Apparently Brian died in 2000 which would explain the sailing trophy being a memorial. I may have a dig around in Rotherham on my next visit in November. There is a current year record for a Peter F Shellcock in Rotherham on 192.com so he may still be around.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 14-09-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham of Fame and Muscle Shoals.

Pen and Spooner wrote, produced and played on many Soul hits. One or both of them wrote hit songs for artists such as, Aretha Franklin, James Car, Percy Sledge, Janis Joplin and the Box Tops.

Here they perform one of there biggest hits they wrote for James & Bobby Purify. But they do it their way. This is how Music should be People.

Tina Turner does a fantastic job of "Steamy Windows" and "Undercover Agent For The Blues" Originally by Tony Joe White

Last edited by BigLadonOS; 15-09-2018 at 01:31 AM.

If you have never heard of Tony Joe White I would suggest that you search Youtube for some of his stuff. I have every album right from the 60's to date.

If you like Dire Straits! This is the guy that invented their sound.

Ok[QUOTE=BigLadonOS;39013881]Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham of Fame and Muscle Shoals.

Pen and Spooner wrote, produced and played on many Soul hits. One or both of them wrote hit songs for artists such as, Aretha Franklin, James Car, Percy Sledge, Janis Joplin and the Box Tops.

Here they perform one of there biggest hits they wrote for James & Bobby Purify. But they do it their way. This is how Music should be People.

I have tremendous amount of time for Penn and Oldham. It's a bit like the legendary session musicians from LA who played on so many famous singles and albums in the sixties but are largely unknown. The Muscle Shoals crews from the same era are really even more amazing given their limited resources and the remoteness of the location. Also, as you say, they didn't just play the music. They also arranged and wrote. The organ solo that opens Percy Sledge's monumental "When a Man Loves A Woman" was put together with typical understatement by Oldham. It's simple but so, so effective. The sound is iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    If you have never heard of Tony Joe White I would suggest that you search Youtube for some of his stuff. I have every album right from the 60's to date.

If you like Dire Straits! This is the guy that invented their sound.

That's a lot of albums. BigLad. He has been very prolific over a very long period! Very talented musician.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast