+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Barrow FC 27.01.24 [EFL L2]

Apart from the slip Bostock was superb in the middle, so much that Robertson seemed to spend most of the first half stood still admiring him.
    Baldwin and jones played brilliantly, barrow sat so deep in the second half it was hard work breaking them down.
    Don't worry about stags having 3 out next Saturday, they'll bring in three that will play a blinder !!

Sideways or backwards

Am I the only one frustrated with the lack of attacking intent.

When we decided to attack directly with pace and actually attempt to get into their box we caused Barrow to panic. Their defenders didn’t know how to handle us and had to resort to foul play.

Why do we hold back and keep going side to side, or even backwards?

We have the best striker in the league, yet he only had one real effort at goal. I don’t think he will be hanging around too long at the end of the season.

If I’m not mistaken I believe we hadn’t had a shot on target until the 43 minute when we scored.

I think Jones is awesome and is a credit to the team. However, is it too much to ask if we actually play a forward ball or two along the ground and though the middle for Langstaff to run on to?

Oh and for g@d sake, let’s try pumping the ball into the box for corners once in a while. Even Man City do that!!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-01-2024 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Moved to match discussion thread

Yes it was jolly un sporting of Barrow to pack their defence, you sound like one of the GET IT FORWARDS brigade sat behind me 😄

Quick question to anyone who wants to answer, do you think a Notts’ player would have done the same as theirs with taking down Jones?
    As much as I hate to say I hope they would but I fear they wouldn’t.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-01-2024 at 06:56 PM.

Very frustrating game against anti-football opponents and a dreadful ref. We looked fairly solid for 3 quarters of the game but waded through treacle for long periods as well. Disappointed we didn’t see Jaden Warner. We can’t honestly be thinking of starting with Brindley next week?

If that tackle isn’t a red card, the laws are a joke. No attempt to play the ball should always be a sending off imo.

The ref should have awarded the pen re. Macca and both scythings down of Jodi from behind were reds in my opinion. We didn't pull up any trees but now SM has had a chance to see things from the touchline and hopefully will make more tweaks next time out. A point when we could easily have thrown away all three, so not the end of the world yet. Baldwin and Jones excellent today and happy for Nemane to get another goal. Hopefully the ref gets stuck in traffic on the way home to Cumbria.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-01-2024 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Very frustrating game against anti-football opponents and a dreadful ref. We looked fairly solid for 3 quarters of the game but waded through treacle for long periods as well. Disappointed we didn’t see Jaden Warner. We can’t honestly be thinking of starting with Brindley next week?

If that tackle isn’t a red card, the laws are a joke. No attempt to play the ball should always be a sending off imo.
    I don’t think you can say it’s a red because no intention of playing the ball, maybe dangerous play?But is there an argument of stopping a goal scoring opportunity, wasn’t it 4 on 2? But as the rules are it’s a yellow, or a very reddy yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Quick question to anyone who wants to answer, do you think a Notts’s player would have done the same as there’s with taking down Jones?
    As much as I hate to say I hope they would but I fear they wouldn’t.
    Good point. For all the fuss, and the potential injury to Jones, the Barrow player's cynical foul may well have stopped a goal at the cost of a yellow card, possibly saving them the point that wins them promotion at the end of the season.

As much as I like the football we play in possession, the idea of Notts being a "nice" team to play against when we haven't got the ball doesn't sit well with me, having grown up watching the teams of Warnock and Allardyce. Nobody playing us should be able to take liberties. I like teams to have a nasty, aggressive edge to them when it's needed and sometimes the current Notts team doesn't scratch that itch. I don't want to change what we already do well, but I want to see us add that element to it. If we can, then opponents will REALLY fear us.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast