+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still optimistic about this season?

I've always thought of outfield players like percentages. 10% for each player. Brady and Defour make up 20% of what I consider to be our FIRST TEAM.

Lowton, Mee, Tarkowski and Ward 40%.

Gudmundsson, Cork, Defour and Brady 40%.

Not at all sure about the front 20%, but for arguments sake let's go with Vokes and Vydra.

Start ripping 30/40% out of any whole 100% and you have a problem. That's what has happened to us.

If we can get a settled side I think we will be OK, but getting played off the park by Cardiff and Huddersfield is not giving me a great cause for optimism.

"...........If we can get a settled side I think we will be OK, but getting played off the park by Cardiff and Huddersfield is not giving me a great cause for optimism."

The simple fact is that we improved our position with the win at Cardiff and they stayed without a win and we shared the points with Huddersfield so we remained the same number of points above them and they still have not won a game.
    I am sure that both Cardiff and Huddersfield will feel far worse than we do with these results.

It's only a game!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I am sure that both Cardiff and Huddersfield will feel far worse than we do with these results.
    I'm sure both sets of fans will be encouraged by the fact that, poor as they are, they know there is at least one team in the league that's a whole lot worse than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm sure both sets of fans will be encouraged by the fact that, poor as they are, they know there is at least one team in the league that's a whole lot worse than they are.
    Yes--- Newcastle!
    The fans can be encouraged as much as they want, however, the bottom line is that neither team beat the Clarets and that is what matters.

TBF Sinky,didn't most teams say that last season?

Yes--- Newcastle!
    The fans can be encouraged as much as they want, however, the bottom line is that neither team beat the Clarets and that is what matters.
    s

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Newcastle Sub, two teams worse then, but at least they did have enough about them to go two up at Old Trafford and take them to injury time.

I agree, it's results that matter and we took four points off Cardiff and Huddersfield. Little more to be said on that aspect, it's a fact. It's the perfomances that are generating the discussion, and they were abysmal. As you well know, in any game anything can happen, a poor team can beat a good one, a team playing badly can still get lucky and win, but over a full season it tends to even out, the teams that perform best graduate to the top, those that perform poorly might still pick up points they don't deserve, but they will gradually sink to the bottom end.
    Our last two performances indicate that our future is far more likely to be towards the bottom end of the league rather than the top, and the fact that we picked up four points from those two performances cannot and do not disguise the direction we are heading.
    And it's the dismal performances, not the results, that all the discussion/worrying/ moaning is about.
    Last edited by sinkov; 08-10-2018 at 02:13 PM.

s

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Newcastle Sub, two teams worse then, but at least they did have enough about them to go two up at Old Trafford and take them to injury time.

I agree, it's results that matter and we took four points off Cardiff and Huddersfield. Little more to be said on that aspect, it's a fact. It's the perfomances that are generating the discussion, and they were abysmal. As you well know, in any game anything can happen, a poor team can beat a good one, a team playing badly can still get lucky and win, but over a full season it tends to even out, the teams that perform best graduate to the top, those that perform poorly might still pick up points they don't deserve, but they will gradually sink to the bottom end.
    Our last two performances indicate that our future is far more likely to be towards the bottom end of the league rather than the top, and the fact that we picked up four points from those two performances cannot and do not disguise the direction we are heading.

Which is what all the discussion/worrying/ moaning is about.
    Yet, in spite of all the moaning, we have scored 10 goals from 73 attempts in 8 games.
    Cardiff have had 86 attempts and scored 4, Huddersfield have had 77 attmepts and scored 4 and both have conceded 17.
    Newcastle have had 65 attempts and scored 6, whilst Palace have had 93 attempts and scored just 5 and Southampton have had 117 attempts and scored 6.
    If you don't score then you are not going to win ---obviously, however, we have been scoring more than these other clubs in spite of the fact that we have had fewer attempts than all except Newcastle.

As you said on the other thread sinkov ---Football is a funny game!

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    TBF Sinky,didn't most teams say that last season?
    They might have said it Alf, but did two sets of fans ever have such overwhelming evidence of the fact last season ? We've been 'ragging' results for more or less since Dyche arrived, I've mentioned before the long list of managers who couldn't work out how we've beaten them, being outplayed and picking up the points has been our speciality, and I've long since given up trying to understand how we do it. But the last two performances have been way, way worse than anything we've conjured up before, and still we've got points from those games. I don't think we can continue to perform at that level and keep ragging the points, imo we either improve performances from piss poor to average, or we'll be in a relegation battle.

Yet, in spite of all the moaning, we have scored 10 goals from 73 attempts in 8 games.
    Cardiff have had 86 attempts and scored 4, Huddersfield have had 77 attmepts and scored 4 and both have conceded 17.
    Newcastle have had 65 attempts and scored 6, whilst Palace have had 93 attempts and scored just 5 and Southampton have had 117 attempts and scored 6.
    If you don't score then you are not going to win ---obviously, however, we have been scoring more than these other clubs in spite of the fact that we have had fewer attempts than all except Newcastle.

As you said on the other thread sinkov ---Football is a funny game!

In this case Sub, it's not really a 'funny' game in that sense, those stats are easily explicable. We've had an easy ride compared to all the others except Palace, they should perhaps be as worried as we should be.

Of the top clubs we've so far played one.... Man United, Palace have played one.... Liverpool. What would our stats look like if we'd faced the opposition these have ?

Newcastle.... Spurs, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United.
    Huddersfield.... Chelsea, City, Everton, Spurs.
    Cardiff.... Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Spurs.
    Southampton.... Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea.

In this case Sub, it's not really a 'funny' game in that sense, those stats are easily explicable. We've had an easy ride compared to all the others except Palace, they should perhaps be as worried as we should be.

Of the top clubs we've so far played one.... Man United, Palace have played one.... Liverpool. What would our stats look like if we'd faced the opposition these have ?

Newcastle.... Spurs, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United.
    Huddersfield.... Chelsea, City, Everton, Spurs.
    Cardiff.... Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Spurs.
    Southampton.... Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea.
    sinkov --we don't know, because every game is different. Last season we picked up points against Everton, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, United and City if memory serves me correctly.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)