+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ding dong

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    It's not, he quoted a post by The AuldYin asking to tell their Polish friend - blah, blah, blah. It's me whose Polish friend is struggling to understand why he's being classed as a Scot just because he pays tax in Scotland.

To his eternal credit though he did say he's grateful that he isn't paying tax in England or even worse - Russia. Imagine being considered as either of those - oooofffff.
    Just shows you how much attention I paid to this part of the thread. Apologies. Still think it is worthwhile correcting errors.
    Back on track, I have been surprised by the calibre of the SNP leadership candidates. There must be something seriously worrying going on in the background for the SNP to think that 2 relatively inexperienced ladies and one very experienced gentleman is the best they can do. Where are the experienced politicians who have the intellectual gravitas to reset the independence movement.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Just shows you how much attention I paid to this part of the thread. Apologies. Still think it is worthwhile correcting errors.
    Back on track, I have been surprised by the calibre of the SNP leadership candidates. There must be something seriously worrying going on in the background for the SNP to think that 2 relatively inexperienced ladies and one very experienced gentleman is the best they can do. Where are the experienced politicians who have the intellectual gravitas to reset the independence movement.
    Humza Yousef might be experienced but he has been hopeless as the Transport Minister, the Cabinet Secretary for Justice and the Cabinet Secretary for Health.
    Ash Regan will not accept that the 2014 Scottish independence referendum was a once in a generation referendum.
    Kate Forbes is the only one who is prepared to speak her mind and vote the way she believes not just vote the way Nippy wanted her to vote.

Sturgeon was so aggressively focussed on one or two policies that she has to be difficult to follow. Try to be more wide ranging and you'll be accused by some in the party of diluting and destroying all she acheived. Try to stay true to her pet policies and you'll be described as a clone or sycophant whose strings are being pulled by Sturgeon. What sensible politician would put themselves forward for that? So you end up with two inexperienced but focussed young women determined to actually make a difference and a more experienced, if failed, politician who sees his only chance of doing anything after messing up in successive senior offices - somebody that'll take the criticism and the derision just to be able to say 'I made it'.
    Last edited by Deeranged; 24-02-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Humza Yousef might be experienced but he has been hopeless as the Transport Minister, the Cabinet Secretary for Justice and the Cabinet Secretary for Health.
    Ash Regan will not accept that the 2014 Scottish independence referendum was a once in a generation referendum.
    Kate Forbes is the only one who is prepared to speak her mind and vote the way she believes not just vote the way Nippy wanted her to vote.
    What's the official length of time that defines a generation? Is there one? Is it just your perception of what constitutes a generation that makes you say 'Ash Regan will not accept that the 2014 independence referendum was a once in a generation referendum'?

I've explained the actual definition of a generation to you before so won't do so again. Please go look it up, write it down and then try again.

How many years forms a generation?

about thirty years

A generation is the period of time, usually considered to be*about thirty years, that it takes for children to grow up and become adults and have children of their own.

about thirty years

A generation is the period of time, usually considered to be*about thirty years, that it takes for children to grow up and become adults and have children of their own.
    It's not and the use of the term 'once in a generation' was actually quite clever by Sturgeon because it's not a period of time. It's defined as the total population alive at any point in time. It's a number of people, not a period of time. Look at your description above of a generation - it says 'usually considered' but not 'defined'. So it's subjective right off the bat.

Think about it (sorry that's twice tonight I've said that to you, I'm really not being smarmy). If a generation was a period of thirty years when would that thirty years start? If person A argued that it started five years ago when their child was born and will end twenty five years from now when their thirty and person B argued it was actually 7 years ago when theirs was born and will end in twenty three years you can see that there can be no start point for this measure and therefore no end point - it would be a moving target without form or definition. Would those children be from different generations? Probably not for most people.

So, extrapolate that to the statement that the Scottish independence referendum in 2014 was a 'once in a generation' referendum. If we assume that a generation is thirty years then at that point in time (18th September 2014) there were multiple generations in effect, many millions in fact, but let's single out three of them. One started twenty eight years before the referendum, one started twenty three years before it and at the other extreme one started the day after it. Now is February 2023, seven years on from that date. One of those generations has expired, it's gone, it's spent. Another will expire soon and will also be gone but the other hadn't even started in 2014 so can it even count?

Now, ask yourself not only how long a generation is but when the generation in question started. Can something that has no start point and therefore no possible end point actually be considered an entity?

One final thing to consider - the 'next generation'. Is that only those born today? Because thirty years from now those born yesterday were the last generation and those born tomorrow are the next next generation.

Apologies for the above but it does irk a bit when this subject comes up.

about thirty years

There is a word for an organism's ability to survive to maturity and to produce offspring of its own but It's completely gone from me for now.

And is a generation, by the above description, not closer to 13 years? Most humans have developed sufficiently into adulthood to reproduce by that age

(EDIT) - the ability of an organism to survive and reproduce is fitness. Can't believe I forgot that one, Darwin 101 stuff.
    Last edited by Deeranged; 24-02-2023 at 09:22 PM.

It's not and the use of the term 'once in a generation' was actually quite clever by Sturgeon because it's not a period of time. It's defined as the total population alive at any point in time. It's a number of people, not a period of time. Look at your description above of a generation - it says 'usually considered' but not 'defined'. So it's subjective right off the bat.

Think about it (sorry that's twice tonight I've said that to you, I'm really not being smarmy). If a generation was a period of thirty years when would that thirty years start? If person A argued that it started five years ago when their child was born and will end twenty five years from now when their thirty and person B argued it was actually 7 years ago when theirs was born and will end in twenty three years you can see that there can be no start point for this measure and therefore no end point - it would be a moving target without form or definition. Would those children be from different generations? Probably not for most people.

So, extrapolate that to the statement that the Scottish independence referendum in 2014 was a 'once in a generation' referendum. If we assume that a generation is thirty years then at that point in time (18th September 2014) there were multiple generations in effect, many millions in fact, but let's single out three of them. One started twenty eight years before the referendum, one started twenty three years before it and at the other extreme one started the day after it. Now is February 2023, seven years on from that date. One of those generations has expired, it's gone, it's spent. Another will expire soon and will also be gone but the other hadn't even started in 2014 so can it even count?

Now, ask yourself not only how long a generation is but when the generation in question started. Can something that has no start point and therefore no possible end point actually be considered an entity?

One final thing to consider - the 'next generation'. Is that only those born today? Because thirty years from now those born yesterday were the last generation and those born tomorrow are the next next generation.

Apologies for the above but it does irk a bit when this subject comes up.
    **** reading awe that ****e.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    **** reading awe that ****e.
    Don't understand it so dismiss it out of hand?

Thankfully most of on here don't think that way and will at least make an effort to understand even if it results in them disagreeing with and criticising it.

Don't understand it so dismiss it out of hand?

Thankfully most of on here don't think that way and will at least make an effort to understand even if it results in them disagreeing with and criticising it.
    Aye some will make an effort to understand and debate while some will just post "I'm out" while getting their arse handed to them.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)