+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 144 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 3487

Thread: O/T DDay for Brexit..well sort of...

Yep it will depend on the vote assuming she doesn't get her deal through.

But I have a question. Forgive me if I'm missing summat here but what happens if there is a majority for no brexit vote in the end in the h of c, does that mean we are officially staying in the EU and that Article 50 will have to be revoked or will we be somewhere in no man's land. A sort of still trying to exit the EU but still in it? Surely that is the same as extending article 50 indefinitely.

Also, what would other EU states say about this?

The other question I would ask is, if we were to try to extend Article 50 as mooted in the h of p, what happens if other EU member states don't allow us to? I presume we would be back to where we are now.

As my old mum would say "We are in a right bloody mess now".
    Last edited by rolymiller; 26-02-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Also another thought. What would the DUP make of a no brexit scenario? They want us to leave with the Irish back stop issue sorted but what if we don't brexit. They are not keen on that either.

Would they still support the govt in the confidence and supply agreement? In which case, if they didn't, could there be a general election looming?

Someone should write a book/film about this fiasco and make a few bob out of it!

(Kerr could be Rees Mogg or Boris Johnson in the film version!)
    Last edited by rolymiller; 26-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.

There should be a general election since both major parties promised to deliver Brexit in 2017 and have reneged on it.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    There should be a general election since both major parties promised to deliver Brexit in 2017 and have reneged on it.
    Who would you vote for though?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Mrs May might refuse to come off is she lost! To be honest, their hasn't been one politician from any party thats inspired me to vote for them if their was an election. I would find it extremely hard to find any motivation to vote at the moment , and that would be the first time that happened since I became eligible in 1966 !

edit..Make that 1969
    Last edited by LincsMiller; 26-02-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by Shark27 View Post
    Who would you vote for though?
    The Brexit Party.

Not sure why the dramatic hysterics on here. May has only agreed to let the can get kicked down the road for a few more weeks. Her deal and no deal will both still be on the table if the mps vote for it. Or am I missing something?!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Not sure why the dramatic hysterics on here. May has only agreed to let the can get kicked down the road for a few more weeks. Her deal and no deal will both still be on the table if the mps vote for it. Or am I missing something?!

Box number 10 please Noel

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    MPs are not going to vote for "no deal" though are they so it's certainly off the table for March 29.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Yep it will depend on the vote assuming she doesn't get her deal through.

But I have a question. Forgive me if I'm missing summat here but what happens if there is a majority for no brexit vote in the end in the h of c, does that mean we are officially staying in the EU and that Article 50 will have to be revoked or will we be somewhere in no man's land. A sort of still trying to exit the EU but still in it? Surely that is the same as extending article 50 indefinitely.

Also, what would other EU states say about this?

The other question I would ask is, if we were to try to extend Article 50 as mooted in the h of p, what happens if other EU member states don't allow us to? I presume we would be back to where we are now.

As my old mum would say "We are in a right bloody mess now".
    What interesting and relevant questions Roly.

The position is this:

Parliament set a hard Brexit date of 29th March (see section 20(2) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018) and also authorised the government to trigger Article 50, which sees us exit on that date.

The cumulative effect of that is that the default position - and the only position that does not require the express approval of Parliament - is a no deal exit on 29th March.

Assuming that Parliament continues to block the May deal and ‘directs’ the government to seek an extension to Article 50, the ball moves into the EU’s court, as it would require the unanimous approval of the remaining 27 EU states to allow such an extension. If just one EU country says no, then extension doesn’t happen and the options would be for Parliament to either agree a deal in advance of 29th March or for us to leave on that date with no deal. The third option would be for the UK to unliterally revoke its Article 50 notification and remain in the EU, which, given the outcome of the Supreme Court case brought by Gina Miller, would require primary legislation which I don’t think the government has any intention of introducing (and which probably wouldn’t be passed, in any event).

There are no guarantees that the EU would approve an extension to Article 50 – the mood towards the UK in Brussels is not a particularly benign one at the moment. The countries that do a lot of trade with us and fish in our waters would be keen to extend, but there are countries that don’t have much of a relationship with us. In practice, Merkel might well whip those countries into line, however. It also has to be borne in mind that it would suit the EU for the UK to stay and the continued uncertainty that an extension would bring might also benefit them as it would probably result in companies switching investment to them and away from the UK.

A short extension is probably necessary now, given the raft of legislation that would be needed to support leaving with a deal, but a substantial extension simply kicks the current can down the road in a big way.

Page 144 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast