+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: IN the end you get the PM you deserve

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    What is it about the racist, homophobic, misogynistic, incompetent, lazy, dishonest, privileged Boris Johnson that the fine people of Newark Conservative Association so admire?
    My guess is that racism is the prime reason, but homophobia, misogynism, incompetence, laziness, dishonesty and privilege are all good point scorers among the Boris fans who are members of the Newark Conservative Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    To give you credit, you haven't posted any links to white supermacist websites to 'prove' your point unlike a certain fellow scum fan.
    Supermacist?

Another dig blows up in your face.
    Back to your glory hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Supermacist?

Another dig blows up in your face.
    Back to your glory hole.
    I will willingly admit to my spelling mistake.

Will you admit to posting links to white supremacist websites on NCM, and explain your reasons why?

Just watching the BBC debate and I'm beginning to think Emily Maitlis is running for PM, given the amount of times she's interrupting the candidates. One thing we know about Boris Johnson, Sajid Javid, Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove and Rory Stewart is that they were at least elected as MPs by their respective constituencies, whatever you might happen to think of them. Journalists like Maitlis have never been elected by anyone to speak on our behalf, and yet they seem to feel entitled to chip in with their observations and speak as if they somehow represent the public's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Just watching the BBC debate and I'm beginning to think Emily Maitlis is running for PM, given the amount of times she's interrupting the candidates. One thing we know about Boris Johnson, Sajid Javid, Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove and Rory Stewart is that they were at least elected as MPs by their respective constituencies, whatever you might happen to think of them. Journalists like Maitlis have never been elected by anyone to speak on our behalf, and yet they seem to feel entitled to chip in with their observations and speak as if they somehow represent the public's voice.
    She's really not helping this at all is she. I usually like her but she's just stopping virtually every answer before it's made.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    She's really not helping this at all is she. I usually like her but she's just stopping virtually every answer before it's made.
    I totally understand that the members of the public have pre-prepared questions designed to test the candidates on the key issues, but Maitlis clearly has a set of equally pre-prepared interventions she's determined to get in to try to trip up the candidates before they've even had a chance to reply. She's supposed to facilitate the debate and ensure each person gets roughly equal time. Beyond that job (which she's doing rather badly) she should shut the hell up. Like I've said above, she doesn't have a mandate to speak for or represent anyone.
    Last edited by jackal2; 18-06-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dam617 View Post
    'Accurate, unbiased reporting'? What's that? If you can name me a source that reflects this, post it on here and I'll give it a go.

I frequent a few blogs whose comments sections are a good mine of information (with links)
    The QT fake applause was brought up by someone who attended a recording and I actually know a few people who went to the Roundhouse when it was being filmed in Derby - the one where Fiona assured the viewers that 'that applause (for 'no deal') wasn't as loud as it sounded. Laughable.
    Any other issues mentioned are usually available on YouTube.
    Any chance you could link to a couple so I can have a look?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I totally understand that the members of the public have pre-prepared questions designed to test the candidates on the key issues, but Maitlis clearly has a set of equally pre-prepared interventions she's determined to get in to try to trip up the candidates before they've even had a chance to reply. She's supposed to facilitate the debate and ensure each person gets roughly equal time. Beyond that job (which she's doing rather badly) she should shut the hell up. Like I've said above, she doesn't have a mandate to speak for or represent anyone.
    I was thinking the same thing thing watching Piers Morgan and his co presenter on Good Morning Britain the other day.

It's unfortunately how political interviews have become, I remember Charlie Brooker on one of his series showing examples of how interviews used to be decades ago and they were longer, a lot more polite and less adversarial. Different times I know but the politicians actually said more and they were more informative to watch.

I think modern formats and behaviour contribute to making these things less pleasant to watch and less informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My guess is that racism is the prime reason, but homophobia, misogynism, incompetence, laziness, dishonesty and privilege are all good point scorers among the Boris fans who are members of the Newark Conservative Association.

I have to admit it, you, BFP and Saddam are 100% consistent, you always support the losers.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing thing watching Piers Morgan and his co presenter on Good Morning Britain the other day.

It's unfortunately how political interviews have become, I remember Charlie Brooker on one of his series showing examples of how interviews used to be decades ago and they were longer, a lot more polite and less adversarial. Different times I know but the politicians actually said more and they were more informative to watch.

I think modern formats and behaviour contribute to making these things less pleasant to watch and less informative.
    The likes of Robin Day and Brian Walden were so superior to this generation that it's actually embarrassing how far political journalism has fallen. Then again, the same could be said of most of the politicians.

In my mid-40's I shouldn't yet be sounding like a grizzled old curmudgeon harking back to the good old days, but I think it's justified. We've got politicians who have no core beliefs and who can only parrot a script, and journalists who think that their job is to be habitually rude and barely let the subject of the interview get a word in edgeways. That tw*t Jeremy Paxman has a lot to answer for.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast