+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Lincoln City 08.08.23 [EFLC R1]

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    It's pretty easy to work out why we only had 1 shot on goal? I mean, Luke in his PM was adamant he wanted to win the tie, but then he fields a team who have very little chance of doing that against a more than competent L1 side. I really don't understand it? Give us half a chance Lukey...
    I guess he wanted to give players like Austin and TAR a run out. The problem is, we are so top heavy when it comes to attacking players, we end up playing people out of position. In hindsight (and in foresight, to be fair), we'd have been better off signing two top defenders rather than stacking more attacking midfielders on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's obviously not all doom and gloom, but there are reasons for concern. Not so much about losing two games of football - that can happen to any side - but more about the manner of the defeats. Two insipid and weak performances to start the season.
    I agree and I think the defence is an issue, but this team has played tough games before and not let 5 in, they only narrowly lost 3 last season.
    I do think Sats a one off in terms of performance, they were all full of beans and excited and they just got sucker punched early twice with the goal and sending off and we’re shell shocked after, they have to learn from it.
    The bit I don’t like is the gossip about the owners, at the moment it’s absolutely unfounded. All we know is one guy was let go who worked on Notts recruitment, maybe he wasn’t up to the standard they expect, maybe his worked has been relocated or some automated.
    As for other people leaving? Where’s the numbers? Companies restructure ever 2 or 3 years, it’s common place.
    Finally LW has always said he’s not involved, in recruitment, obviously he will be consulted but he’s not out there searching and doing the deals.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's obviously not all doom and gloom, but there are reasons for concern. Not so much about losing two games of football - that can happen to any side - but more about the manner of the defeats. Two insipid and weak performances to start the season.
    Agree with this. I can’t comment on the Sutton game as I didn’t see it, but there was a painful gulf between the sides last night - we still looked like a non-league side most of the time and escaped with a 2-0 defeat. 70% possession is meaningless if most of it is in your own half.

Someone mentioned us possibly paying the price for poor recruitment this summer, and it does seem a little strange that while we went out and bought a couple of players last summer, we haven’t made similar moves this time - especially when we knew RR was leaving and we were stepping up a league. It has taken a long time to replace Jason Turner (I think the replacement only started this week), and this may have hampered things. Then there are the questions about who is actually doing the recruiting right now. Something just feels a little off, but let’s hope things start to click from Saturday.

The noticeable thing about us is that we are a relatively small side and it's a big ask to get on the end of crosses against much bigger and stronger defenders. Are we the only ones able to see this?

We'll know a lot more after Saturday, but it already looks like a pivotal game. I'm not confident because I know those issues that have been plain as day for months now will still be there.

...pivotal, league game #2 😅😅

All of the pre season signings apart from DM in my opinion are just not good enough. And I also question as to whether he was really a necessity, in view of the other striker options at the club. Our priority without any doubt should have been the defence. Bringing a 19 year old academy player in is not the answer...I just hope we are not on loan to the EFL..

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    There weren't many times we actually broke their press. We mostly launched a long ball that came straight back. We just don't have the players to play long ball and didn't seem as though we were confident enough to press them at all.
    I mean clever long balls. Not hoofs under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    All of the pre season signings apart from DM in my opinion are just not good enough. And I also question as to whether he was really a necessity, in view of the other striker options at the club. Our priority without any doubt should have been the defence. Bringing a 19 year old academy player in is not the answer...I just hope we are not on loan to the EFL..
    I have a feeling that we are. The squad is too lightweight to compete. The fact that we are rumoured to be signing another right back who might be able to play RCB but is smaller than Brindley is concerning. Sure we need skillful players, but you need height and strength as well

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    The noticeable thing about us is that we are a relatively small side and it's a big ask to get on the end of crosses against much bigger and stronger defenders. Are we the only ones able to see this?
    This has been the case for years. It's obviously by design, but it does cause all sorts of problems. Honestly, how are players like Brindley supposed to defend against that Sutton striker Smith. The guy's a man mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by GranthamPie View Post
    This ^^^^

One if the reasons supporters have given up on these competitions is the clubs tendency to field experimental line-ups. We could have competed last night with our best starting 11 but we fiddled around with fringe players and positions.

1 shot on target in 90 mins of open play.
    So called best starting 11 did worse against a league 2 side

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast