+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 164 of 209 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2083

Thread: January transfers

Only to you.

Just try a different prescription.
    Better with or without?
    No 1 or no 2?
    Are the circles sharper in red or green?

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Folk getting their knickers in a twist over Lewis Morgan.....relax

He'll be going to Sunderland and back to Jack Ross.

They'll also pay a bigger chunk of his salary than us.
    Here you go...apologies for the link to the Daily Retard

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    If you'd like a history lesson then sit tight and I'll tell you story...

In the early 1990s we were a team that competed for every honour in the domestic season and that was the least the support demanded from a club that wasn't just brilliant under Fergie but for about a further eight years after his departure.

But then along came a joiner from Alford that thought because he'd made a bit of money building houses during the halyconic days of the Oil Boom, he could transfer his business acumen to football. He couldn't, he got the club in a lot of debt, which in turn, lowered the expectations of the club as we watched fifth rate players wear the red jersey.

Then a nice chap and his wife came along and bailed the joiner out. Thus the 12 million leadweight that held the club back was vanished in an instant.

Now we want the f@cking league and cups back in our trophy room and send warning shots to Glasgow on a consistent basis and maybe then you'll understand why winning things is important...
    I think it's unfair to place the blame for the decline of AFC on Milne. He has been an exacerbating factor, not a cause. He simply didn't have a clue how to steer the club through a challenging period in its history. We were already in decline when he became involved with the club and AFC and Scottish football as a whole was facing significant external challenges from the mid 90s onwards with the growth of TV revenues in England and the concentration of resources arising from the reformatted Champions League.

Milne at the helm of AFC is like having a rookie skipper at the helm of a trawler during the worst storm in decades. He didn't aground in still waters and broad daylight. Is that the best we can say about him? (Cheesy analogy but I think it makes the point).
    Last edited by ragnarok; 28-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Every time someone suggests Celtic win the league because they have a bigger budget than everyone else plenty of people on here say that them having a bigger budget shouldn’t stop us from winning the league.Yet you are trying to say that there was no expectation from us to win the league when we were £12 million in debt.

You maybe haven’t noticed but we aren’t exactly spending any more than we did when we were in debt,I guess we paid £400k for May last season but we paid £400k for Stavrum and £400k for Zero in 2000,we also spent £700k for Winters in 98,all of this was done when we were in debt so your theory that we didn’t expect to win the league because we were in debt doesn’t work.
    Supporting a football club is more emotion over reason. You can lay out facts until you're blue in the face but the thing you need to realise about a pant p*sher (which I say having p*shed my pants over a game of football on more than one occasion) is that it's all in the chase. The reality is most football clubs are mediocre but no one supports a football club for perpetual mediocrity even if that's what most get.

The simple reason "challenging for / winning the league" has become a big deal in the last few years, when it wasn't a big deal in the 20 years previous is that in the last few years we've been 2nd in the league and in several cup finals, whereas in the previous 20 generally we weren't.

Challenging for / winning the league is the next step forward from where we have been in the last few years. That's why it matters - it's progress. Whereas from 1995 to 2010 (roughly) we were generally useless - the focus is always on improving and progressing - during that period improvement meant getting into the top half of the table / challenging for European football.

We had a realistic chance of winning the league the year Deila was in charge of Celtic, and again last year when Celtic weren't great. Even this year Celtic had a stinking start to the season. We've just not been able to capitalise.

I'm realistic enough to know that if Celtic hit top form consistently they are going to be pretty much unstoppable as far as winning the league goes. However if they fail to do that and we can hit our top form consistently, we have a chance. So there are two elements that need to fall into place - Celtic need a below par season and we need a best ever season - it's not outwith the realms of possibility.

If we start the season and go into every game aiming to finish 2nd in the league, there's something wrong. We should be aiming to progress and improve - therefore we should be aiming to mount a better challenge than we have done every previous year - the target is to win the league and if we don't we'll take 2nd. Not aim for 2nd and we'll take 3rd or 4th - that's a backward step.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    We had a realistic chance of winning the league the year Deila was in charge of Celtic, and again last year when Celtic weren't great. Even this year Celtic had a stinking start to the season. We've just not been able to capitalise.
    Realistic and likely are two different things. Realistic simply means that it's not completely outwith the realms of possibility. But as soon as our chances of winning the league are more likely than hell freezing over there will be some fans who will be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

What were the best odds available on AFC winning the league when Deila was manager there? I agree that we had a chance but that's all it was. Doubt it was better than a 5-10% chance of winning the league. Which is a much better chance than we had in most seasons from '95-'13 which was <1%.

If we had beaten Celtic at Parkhead in March 2015 then I think we could have pushed on and challenged that season. We actually played well in the first half until 'our' Scott Brown completely sh*t it. If we had won that match who knows what would have happened. I don't think we've been in a sufficiently strong position to challenge in any other season to speculate. Last season Celtic were fairly turgid but they were never put under any pressure.
    Last edited by ragnarok; 29-01-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Whilst I accept taking a loan player - from anyone - makes sense as long as said loanee does a good shift and improves our beloved club, I find the following ditties spring to mind .... older forum members may even know the tune ...

Ah nivver thocht ma mammy **** a dram
    She's awa wi' a parcel tae the paan (pawn)
    And when Ah cam hame fae school
    She was sittin on the stool
    Blind drunk wi the ticket in her haan

and ...

Auld Mither Riley at the pawn shop door
    Baby in her airms and a bundle on the floor
    She asked for ten bob, she only got four
    And she nearly pull't the hinges aff the pawn shop door.

As Ah said ... there are merits in the the loan system ... but we shouldna be Timothy's pawn shop ... cos as lang as they hae the ticket, the goods remain theirs, and the control ower who tae sell the goods, or the ticket tae .... remains theirs.

So ... whilst Ah would nae accept the Christie situation as a yardstick, Ah still say fυck Hayes, fυck Morgan .. and fυck any other nae gettin a game for Timmy ... or any other comparable club.

Why? Because any 'footballer' who chooses a wage sittin on the bench over regular first team fitba has burnt their fυckin toast .... and has no place in a fitba team fa dare tae utter the word 'ambition'.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    Here you go...apologies for the link to the Daily Retard

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...mpression=true
    Brilliant news if he goes to Dumberland.
    I still find it fkn ludicrous that our management are even thinking about taking another player on loan from Timothy, I am hopeful that its only paper talk BS but "no smoke without fire" and all that crap and if they were even thinking about it shows less than zero ambition from the club.

The game's a bogey

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Whilst I accept taking a loan player - from anyone - makes sense as long as said loanee does a good shift and improves our beloved club, I find the following ditties spring to mind .... older forum members may even know the tune ...

Ah nivver thocht ma mammy **** a dram
    She's awa wi' a parcel tae the paan (pawn)
    And when Ah cam hame fae school
    She was sittin on the stool
    Blind drunk wi the ticket in her haan

and ...

Auld Mither Riley at the pawn shop door
    Baby in her airms and a bundle on the floor
    She asked for ten bob, she only got four
    And she nearly pull't the hinges aff the pawn shop door.

As Ah said ... there are merits in the the loan system ... but we shouldna be Timothy's pawn shop ... cos as lang as they hae the ticket, the goods remain theirs, and the control ower who tae sell the goods, or the ticket tae .... remains theirs.

So ... whilst Ah would nae accept the Christie situation as a yardstick, Ah still say fυck Hayes, fυck Morgan .. and fυck any other nae gettin a game for Timmy ... or any other comparable club.

Why? Because any 'footballer' who chooses a wage sittin on the bench over regular first team fitba has burnt their fυckin toast .... and has no place in a fitba team fa dare tae utter the word 'ambition'.
    Nail on the heed neeps, nail on the heed pal

SF

Page 164 of 209 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast