+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 184 of 923 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284684 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 9222

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Understand your annoyance completely Ram59, but as your anecdote reveals you're not actually comparing 'like with like', you're comparing yourself with a skiver simply because you happen to inhabit the same environment on occasions. You - presumably - may not often share the same circles as the rich and famous, you may not be as familiar with their lifestyles but surely that is no excuse to ignore the swindlers amongst them who actually cost society far more than those regularly exposed in certain newspapers or programmes such as 'Benefits Street'. Think Triz is 100% right on this one.
    I don't think it's a case of ignoring the bigger cases, which are constantly exposed in the papers I read. But you can't avoid it at the local level when it's thrown in your face all of the time, BTW he told us last night that he's off to book a holiday for April today, 'only Benidorm' in his words.

'Exposed' perhaps...but Amazon, Google, Starbucks, Trump, Cameron Snr, Michael Caine, Anne Robinson etc have all been linked with either tax evasion or avoidance and still seem to be flourishing...well obviously not in the flesh in the case of Cameron Snr, but still as far as finances are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    'Exposed' perhaps...but Amazon, Google, Starbucks, Trump, Cameron Snr, Michael Caine, Anne Robinson etc have all been linked with either tax evasion or avoidance and still seem to be flourishing...well obviously not in the flesh in the case of Cameron Snr, but still as far as finances are concerned.
    Those mentioned have all been linked with tax avoidance and it's up to the powers to be to stop it. But before we get too moral over it, I think we all are guilty of tax avoidance on a much smaller scale, I'm sure everyone here has paid cash for a discount or maybe been paid cash in hand for a bit of work. So at what figure does it become wrong, £1000,£10000,£30000 or £30000.01?
    These people or companies have all contributed either directly or indirectly far more money than I am ever likely to pay to the tax man. They've also avoided far more.

The big difference with the scroungers is that they have not and have no intention of contributing anything to society, they just take take.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Those mentioned have all been linked with tax avoidance and it's up to the powers to be to stop it. But before we get too moral over it, I think we all are guilty of tax avoidance on a much smaller scale, I'm sure everyone here has paid cash for a discount or maybe been paid cash in hand for a bit of work. So at what figure does it become wrong, £1000,£10000,£30000 or £30000.01?
    These people or companies have all contributed either directly or indirectly far more money than I am ever likely to pay to the tax man. They've also avoided far more.

The big difference with the scroungers is that they have not and have no intention of contributing anything to society, they just take take.
    100% agreed, that's what I was trying to say more scientifically/longwindedly earlier.

The personal morals of it are tricky, I won't have bootleg DVDs, CDs or clothing in the house but I'm always up for a cash deal with the local bricky - not easy is it!

Agreed...we're all guilty and personally I use Amazon far too much...but would you be after the 'cash deals' quite so much if you didn't think a precedent had been set, time and time again, by those who really don't have to 'look after the pennies' Andy?

Could the EU not have been stronger in these issues? Ie. in simple terms pay what you owe or you'll be banned from trading with Europe?

Our issue should be with the government for allowing these people or corporations or even us, to get away with it. We all agree that we're up for getting away with it if we can, if we were fortunate enough to be getting very large sums of money, you have to assume that we'd be doing the same avoidance tactics ourselves.

1 Point here, whilst these people or corporations are paying clever accountants to legally avoid paying tax, we all admit to illegally avoiding tax where we can, even if it's on a tiny scale, so who's more in the wrong, the people breaking the law or the people not breaking the law?

Is that really a question? If one legally seeks to minimise ones tax bill - which is not avoiding paying tax, but rather it is paying the correct amount of tax in the circumstances - how can that be as morally wrong as breaking the law. The tax advisor predominantly is there to make sure that you do not overpay your tax liability due to a lack of understanding of the rules and to help structure your affairs in a tax efficient manner within the rules..

Are you therefore also suggesting that it is as morally wrong to get an expert's help in buying a car at the best price as it is to simply go out and steal it?

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Is that really a question? If one legally seeks to minimise ones tax bill - which is not avoiding paying tax, but rather it is paying the correct amount of tax in the circumstances - how can tthat be as morally wrong as breaking the law. The tax advisor predominantly is there to make sure that you do not overpay your tax liability due to a lack of understanding of the rules and to help structure your affairs in a tax efficient manner within the rules..

Are you therefore also suggesting that it is as morally wrong to get an expert's help in buying a car at the best price as it is to simply go out and steal it?
    Actually, I was suggesting the opposite. We are all moaning about people and corporations legally avoiding tax, but seem happy to evade tax and/or deal with these companies ourselves.

Having shown us to be not that different to the big corporations ourselves, except on a much smaller scale, what about the scroungers? Does anyone on here feel they have the right to never have to work for a living and to be able to live off the state for their whole life, bringing up as many children as they want?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Actually, I was suggesting the opposite. We are all moaning about people and corporations legally avoiding tax, but seem happy to evade tax and/or deal with these companies ourselves.

Having shown us to be not that different to the big corporations ourselves, except on a much smaller scale, what about the scroungers? Does anyone on here feel they have the right to never have to work for a living and to be able to live off the state for their whole life, bringing up as many children as they want?
    Very good way of making a point, and personally 'work ethic' is as much part of my DNA as DCFC is, BUT ironically the scroungers are actually only acting inside the law themselves (apart from those also knicking the power tools out of my shed), making the very most of our apparently very generous welfare state. strange how a benefits loafer being able to afford a Spanish holiday turns my stomach but a businessman raking a few hundred k back in taxes doesn't.......

Page 184 of 923 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284684 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)