+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Give the manager more time

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    isn't it the definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over even though you know it's going to fail.
    Has it actually failed though? - most clubs below us are playing different styles but they are still below us!

isn't it the definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over even though you know it's going to fail.
    It's certainly one of the most commonly used cliches on message boards, in the absence of a properly explained counter argument.

For the overwhelming majority of the past two years (at least), the system has been very successful, so the definition of madness would actually be to completely abandon something that has worked more often than not. The sensible reaction to the struggles of the past two months or so should be to tweak the system and personnel until you've addressed the weaknesses.

Even if we did decide to change our way of playing dramatically, that change would still need to be introduced very gradually. One of the big factors behind our decline and relegation to the non-league was the habit of upheaving almost the whole squad every summer. Whatever we do from here, it needs to be evolution, not revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    It's certainly one of the most commonly used cliches on message boards, in the absence of a properly explained counter argument.

For the overwhelming majority of the past two years (at least), the system has been very successful, so the definition of madness would actually be to completely abandon something that has worked more often than not. The sensible reaction to the struggles of the past two months or so should be to tweak the system and personnel until you've addressed the weaknesses.

Even if we did decide to change our way of playing dramatically, that change would still need to be introduced very gradually. One of the big factors behind our decline and relegation to the non-league was the habit of upheaving almost the whole squad every summer. Whatever we do from here, it needs to be evolution, not revolution.
    Well said Jackal

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    Careful mate, some on here seem to think that Brooks is the new Gordon Banks.
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that.

I think we’re all hoping we enjoy some success bringing players through the youth set-up in the coming years, which adds pressure on the likes of Brooks.

You’d have to say history is against him, though - other than Saul Deeney, I’m struggling to remember a single keeper who proved “a keeper” for Notts in my near 50 years following us. James Walker had a good career after we let him go, but I can’t think of anyone else.

One thing the possession stats highlight for me is that to play this way, you need a much stronger squad, otherwise players get jaded. In the NL, we could rotate the team for midweek fixtures and not really be any weaker. This season, we’ve had a strong starting XI (especially when Palmer was fit) but a very weak bench. Obviously, we’ve had some bad luck with injuries, but you really do need two good options for each position. That takes times to build, though, which is where the likes of Mansfield are way ahead of us.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ah ok, apologies in that case. I remember Brooks having a bit of a run but not Mair - my mistake!
    Brooks did have a run out but his distribution was severely lacking. Mair was definitely the all round better keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Brooks did have a run out but his distribution was severely lacking. Mair was definitely the all round better keeper
    Brooks reputation has definitely been enhanced by some of the shocking performances of the 3 lads we’ve had in this season. I’ve no idea whether we could have brought him in instead of loaning LAH, but I can’t believe he wouldn’t have been worse and he is our player after all.

It’s probably another cliche, but this season has been such a missed opportunity, regardless of Palmer’s injury we’d easily be in contention for autos if only we’d had a semi competent keeper and defence.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Brooks reputation has definitely been enhanced by some of the shocking performances of the 3 lads we’ve had in this season. I’ve no idea whether we could have brought him in instead of loaning LAH, but I can’t believe he wouldn’t have been worse and he is our player after all.

It’s probably another cliche, but this season has been such a missed opportunity, regardless of Palmer’s injury we’d easily be in contention for autos if only we’d had a semi competent keeper and defence.
    I'm sure I read the LAH hadn't kept one clean sheet during his loan at Crawley. It does make me wonder how Montague and the bothers think this is better than any of 3 including Brooks

You mean the method we had for 20 plus years you know the one which saw us sack a manager a season at least, high turnover of players and pretty much get no transfer fees for anyone ?

I think i'll stick with this model thanks its the modern/right way forward.

Quarter of a season to go. We can't sign better players. We can't rely on a coach to achieve anything with his "tweaks", can't rely on a coach to make sure players players have discipline and don't show petulance to our supporters. Maybe there might be a an alternative to avoid a flirtation with relegation that doesn't involve tippy tappy football at the back that consistently highlights our deficiencies, resulting in one or two mistakes that end up with the ball in the back of our net. The one thing we can do is look to better defensive system, delivering security - as Maynard himself says - but obviously this old fashioned view is alien to the rose-tinted specs brigade. What worked for one of our seasons in non-league hasn't worked in League 2. We are playing better teams with more nous. Cliche? "Give the manager more time."

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast