+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wonder how many people ...

re: I wonder how many people ...

You jammy barsteward

Scored 49 once at snooker, never got near it again though

I wanted to fix things and did for 20 yesrs

Now I just seem to break things and expect the breaking of things to worsen over time

Interesting reading how talented you lot are

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959
    I wanted to fix things and did for 20 yesrs

Now I just seem to break things and expect the breaking of things to worsen over time

Interesting reading how talented you lot are
    I agree Gaz and to be honest I am just an average Joe but I can't complain as probably got an above average job and it pays the bills

Used to play footie but more at the 7 a side level amongst a group of mates every week. Not a bad runner and always finished in the top 3 Cross Country at secondary school but sport in general for me was pure enjoyment / social.

Cross country. I only did it to get out of school. I did not like distance running. The 100m and the sprint hurdle were far enough for me lol

Same with swimming. The short sprint. 100m and 50m freestyle. Anything further than that and I was hopeless. I was more of a gut runner and swimmer. Tailor made for neurotics

I had trials for Swindon Gards. On the 1st attempt I put my middle wicket in front of a power shot and went down like a sock o **** !

On the second they paired me up with a lad who was brain washed by his dad into believing he would make it to pro.

The whole discipline and contrived skills test was alien and weird. I got annoyed with it and belted the ball at this lad who I felt was stitching me up = fail

I never thought I would make it so was never disappointing as like you I just enjoyed playing. I had a game later v players from around the town who did make it and gave 110% and showed a couple of the starlettes up which didn't go down too well with them

Never been a true distance performer but excelled at short burst of power like rammy. Also did long and triple jump

|Got kicked off the pole vault team due to breaking the pole

Got declined high jump as the wanted me in relay sprint and the long n triple jumps

Always admired the distant performers

I'd heard some of what you'd accomplished Rammy, but didn't know you'd done all that, well done.

Alf you also surprise me with the Snooker, Rammy you still did better than me in that, I used to get an average break of 23 in Snooker.

A couple I forgot was cross country running which I enjoyed and Table Tennis which I player last year in America and was surprised how I still had it and enjoyed it tremendously even though I was sweating like a pig

Mention of playing games in America. In 1988 I visited Tennessee (I remember the year because while I was there Seve won the Open).

Me and my mate were in a bar in Memphis one evening when we got into a discussion with a bunch of Yanks about the pros and cons of snooker v pool (we also had a similar discussion about American football v Rugby). Anyway, they said pool was the better game and more skilful, so we challenged them to a game of pool and it was billed as England v USA. All their mates were there to cheer them on but we trounced them 5-0 (it might have been 5-1, I cannot remember exactly, but I admit we had a bit of luck). We both got so much satisfaction by shutting those loud mouthed Yanks up. We didn't even get a drink out of them either for having the pleasure of stuffing them at their own game.

Later that same evening there was a bar across the square where a bunch of black guys were shouting across to some of the Yanks at our bar. Me and my mate said w

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    Cross country. I only did it to get out of school. I did not like distance running. The 100m and the sprint hurdle were far enough for me lol

Same with swimming. The short sprint. 100m and 50m freestyle. Anything further than that and I was hopeless. I was more of a gut runner and swimmer. Tailor made for neurotics
    I think most kids Rammy only did Cross Country just to get out of school lessons and have a smoke part way round the course

Never smoked so I cannot use that excuse. Pub maybe?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12