+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change of goalkeeper?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Can we not find someone who can complete both tasks!?
    It makes you wonder how they train, if you are weak on something wouldn't be a good idea to work on it?
    Same as outfield players, if you are weak on one foot train just using that foot as much as possible.

I think Button is adequate and Palmer similar.
    Button did indeed keep us in the game when 0-0, albeit I thought positionally suspect for one of a Hull’s goal.

While Johnstone was the better all round keeper out of the two Button is not a significant downgrade. Cardiff aside our lack of clean sheets this season does not make Johnstone a better keeper and it does not mean he didn't make some embarrassing howlers.

The biggest difference between the two is that one of them has Manchester United on his CV and the other doesn't. As for having England on his CV too Johnstone can thank his lucky stars for the dearth of English goalkeeping talent allied to injuries to those who are better than himself.

I think Button is an honest pro in the vein of Godden and the likes.
    I think he will gain with more game time and with a general improvement in the overall team performances.
    Again when at 0-0, he did produce a few decent saves to keep us interested....

Re the clean sheet v Cardiff. It probably helped that they didn't have a shot on target 😊 .

I think that Godden was more than an honest pro and to my mind was one of our better 'keepers going as far back as the fifties. Jimmy Sanders was the first that I can really remember. Ben Foster, John Osborne and Russell Hoult apart, he was as good as most and somewhat under rated.

At least Button commands his area better but was exposed yesterday by Bruce’s stupid substitution! Johnstone was a good shot stopper but nothing else and poor compared to Foster! Englands number 22 is on the bench at Palace but presume he’s happy with a much inflated wage!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    At least Button commands his area better but was exposed yesterday by Bruce’s stupid substitution! Johnstone was a good shot stopper but nothing else and poor compared to Foster! Englands number 22 is on the bench at Palace but presume he’s happy with a much inflated wage!
    Tend to agree. The substitutions were somewhat strange to say the least. If I'm correct, wasn't Phillips brought on for Furlong? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have TGH on as he does play in that position?

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Tend to agree. The substitutions were somewhat strange to say the least. If I'm correct, wasn't Phillips brought on for Furlong? Wouldn't it have made more sense to have TGH on as he does play in that position?

Exactly but Bruce feels he needs to give Phillips and Reach minutes over the better option of TGH. As a manager in any profession - you need to be fair but ruthless

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Re the clean sheet v Cardiff. It probably helped that they didn't have a shot on target �� .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)