+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barristers Strike

Whilst a union rep myself, I do not generally hold with strikes unless as a final recourse. As regards those demanding wage increases to match the level of inflation, whilst in many ways understandable, it is also unrealistic and will only lead to a circular domino affect by pushing inflation up further.

I look at some of those on strike and genuinely wonder if they really need the increases they want but a lot of it is in the detail. Train drivers are paid well enough as it is (certainly enough to benefit from any of Truss's tax cuts) but many other rail workers are not. Mention barristers and most people think rich b a st ards but there are many junior ones who are really poorly paid and this is having a big impact on legal aid and people's ability to access it or not. Many Felixstowe dock workers aren't badly paid as it is but given the enormous profits companies make there you can't blame them for wanting a better cut because they can clearly afford it.

Truss is right-profit is not a dirty word in itself -but it is if the mega rich few earn it off the backs of poorly paid employees.

What is important now is to protect the most vulnerable.

We've had 12 disastrous years of a Tory government, and we're paying the price for it. The wealth divide is getting wider, and will continue to do so whilst they're in power.

I am very pro business, but these Tory governments have done nothing to stimulate business growth. If anything they have done the opposite with a damaging Brexit.

The criminal justice system, our NHS and many public bodies have been scrimped to the bone.. Meanwhile, the Tories have squandered billions through corruption and mismanagement of public finances. Whilst some people won't be able to heat their homes or eat this winter. What is going on, really. Can anyone now say with a straight face they support this sh!tshow...

Its no wonder millions of people, especially in public sector jobs, are seeing their standard of living driven down and have decided to strike. I completely agree with their stance - what other choice do they have.

This is the Tory legacy - out of control interest rates, crippling strikes and crumbling public services. Don't be poor or at the bottom of the pile with these lot in charge, they'll 'let the bodies pile high'. They care about only one thing - themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    We've had 12 disastrous years of a Tory government, and we're paying the price for it. The wealth divide is getting wider, and will continue to do so whilst they're in power.

I am very pro business, but these Tory governments have done nothing to stimulate business growth. If anything they have done the opposite with a damaging Brexit.

The criminal justice system, our NHS and many public bodies have been scrimped to the bone.. Meanwhile, the Tories have squandered billions through corruption and mismanagement of public finances. Whilst some people won't be able to heat their homes or eat this winter. What is going on, really. Can anyone now say with a straight face they support this sh!tshow...

Its no wonder millions of people, especially in public sector jobs, are seeing their standard of living driven down and have decided to strike. I completely agree with their stance - what other choice do they have.

This is the Tory legacy - out of control interest rates, crippling strikes and crumbling public services. Don't be poor or at the bottom of the pile with these lot in charge, they'll 'let the bodies pile high'. They care about only one thing - themselves.
    Yeh but.. what about Labour eh, don’t want that starmer in charge he’s boring.

Joking aside, i think the nation of had a choice between voting Corbyn or Boris.. I think Corbyn would win with some of his nationalising energy/rail policies.

Oh but i hear those tories say.. it won’t work. You only have to look at France and Germany and ask why are they not paying the prices we pay and how their rail system is so much more affordable.

These tories are on it for themselves, disgusting ignoring the crisis. Boris didn’t leave yet because he wanted to have his party on chequers before he went. Is he still on holiday? What a sh it show he’s caused.

The upper classes think that they have the power, but they haven't at all. The people have the power, they always have had, but don't know how to use it. The upper Class are leeches who gained their wealth by the sweat and sacrifices of the working people.
    The powers that be have always been afraid of people meeting in large numbers. That's why they want the pubs closed, working class pub's that is. Covid must have been a godsend for them.
    They want everyone on site's like this, FB and Twitter where they can monitor and edit your thoughts.
    We are all being controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    The upper classes think that they have the power, but they haven't at all. The people have the power, they always have had, but don't know how to use it. The upper Class are leeches who gained their wealth by the sweat and sacrifices of the working people.
    The powers that be have always been afraid of people meeting in large numbers. That's why they want the pubs closed, working class pub's that is. Covid must have been a godsend for them.
    They want everyone on site's like this, FB and Twitter where they can monitor and edit your thoughts.
    We are all being controlled.
    100% agree. We’re also in the age of deception, they can muddy so much of the info we get in order for us all to debate and fight with each other. Ever wonder why a particular news story comes out at a certain day of the week, time of day, and even why that story is being shed light? MSM - the bbc especially in our case is one of the main culprits. We’ve all sold ourselves to the devil.

The whole covid thing at least drew many more people's attention to the real issue in this country which isn't about illegals crossing the channel (a valid concern but one used as deflection) but the vastly uneven distribution of wealth. The problem is how to tackle this of course.

As for the rest, the same pressing issues around education, housing and the nhs remain unsolved as they have done over many years. In the current climate you can add to that concerns over defence spending and why the majority of our energy /utility companies have been allowed to be sold on to foreign (albeit allied) countries. Despite the ridicule meted out to him I also think Corbyn was right about nationalizing the rail network.

Contracting out to the private sector inevitably means the demand for profit but these are essential services, they may need management with business principles but their primary aim is to provide a service not make profit.

Both New Labour and the Conservatives are responsible for the current mess but the problem now is where on earth is the leader or party to get us out of it?

Indeed, what a choice! The LibDems are nonentities so it’s effectively a choice between Conservative and Labour, that is, a choice between greed and incompetence, it’s little wonder that the Scots are increasingly in favour of independence (not that wee Krankie fills you with confidence). We need a government run by people who know what they are doing, unfortunately for the country, all those people are making a good living for themselves in industry without all the grief that comes with political office. This situation is not unique to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    I think the word you were desperately scram(b)bling for was yawn, ironic given the repetitive nature of a lot of your own posts 😘 .

Perhaps but lots of responses. Try a subject rather than sarcastic comments. Why not - how does Liz Truss like it? Hey you might even like a dabble!

Don’t get me wrong, the Tories have demonstrated appalling behaviours and incredible sleeve since Boris came in…but to suggest 12 years of disaster is nonsensical.

We’ve lived in an economic mess since 2008 in light of the crash. To suggest Labour would come in, clear the mess without public spending cuts post fiscal boost defies logic. Sorry 123 but the constant posting of this is bizarre thinking.

To suggest there wouldn’t be wastage in a Labour government during a pandemic where rapid spending of £410 billion in a one off pandemic is also brave thinking.

We’d be moaning about whatever government is in charge right now. You can dream about a paradise under Labour but working under the same conditions, I think you would have similar results.

As it currently stands, I’ll be voting Labour next election but could swing. I don’t really know what they offer much different though…

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, the Tories have demonstrated appalling behaviours and incredible sleeve since Boris came in…but to suggest 12 years of disaster is nonsensical.

We’ve lived in an economic mess since 2008 in light of the crash. To suggest Labour would come in, clear the mess without public spending cuts post fiscal boost defies logic. Sorry 123 but the constant posting of this is bizarre thinking.

To suggest there wouldn’t be wastage in a Labour government during a pandemic where rapid spending of £410 billion in a one off pandemic is also brave thinking.

We’d be moaning about whatever government is in charge right now. You can dream about a paradise under Labour but working under the same conditions, I think you would have similar results.

As it currently stands, I’ll be voting Labour next election but could swing. I don’t really know what they offer much different though…
    I think you have taken some of my words out of context there. I did not suggest Labour would come in and clear any mess. I was talking about the record of this government in isolation - and it is disastrous and indefensible.

By the way - I didn't vote Labour at the last election and I won't be voting for them at the next one. I'm just putting across my view that the government has been a disaster for the last 12 years. If you ask me if Labour would have been better, I would say yes - because how could they have been any worse, but that wasn't the original point I was making.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)